“The best restaurant on the island”
Review of Zeffirino

Zeffirino
Ranked #41 of 111 Restaurants in Mellieha
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Wirral, United Kingdom
“The best restaurant on the island”
Reviewed November 30, 2011

We stayed at the seabank for the first week in october and we spent many an evening in this lovely restaurant where we have visited before on numerous occassions, the food is superb, it is wonderful ,and the service is great, nothing is too much trouble.Sue and the family are great and work very hard, give them a try ,you will not be disappointed. .

• Visited October 2011

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Telford, United Kingdom
“Good food”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We enjoyed a lovely meal here and would recommend. Very busy which did cause a wait before getting food. People after us were been quoted an hours wait. Also they had to go out and get more bread. Food was very good I had a special of clams and pasta and partner didn't get his first choice of calamari but enjoyed his chilli chicken dish.
Waitress apologised for wait said they had some larger parties to cater for.

Visited October 2011
London, United Kingdom
“VERY,VERY,VERY POOR”
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Went to this place for what we were told would be a great meal with friendly staff.How wrong was that.Staff were not interested in any sort os customer care.Once we had ordered we waited 40 minutes for the food constantly being told our meals were on the way but as we had only ordered pizza we would have to wait as others had ordered more suibstantial food.There were only 12 people in the whole place.When the meals did arrive they were only ok not much to praise.Later the lady who served us who was the owners wife was in a bar that we were in complaining that people were not buying her expensive meals and that the buisness was not doing well I am not suprised.
Do not use this place.They seem to think they are doing us a favour by letting us be in there establishment.
MALTA BRILLIANT AS ALLWAYS PLENTY OF GREAT PLACES TO EAT BUT I WOULD AVOID THIS PLACE.

• Visited September 2011
UK
“Excellent food make sure you try it!!”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Lovely little Restaurant. Excellent food, very well presented and very good service.

• Visited August 2011
Woking, United Kingdom
“SUPERB QUALITY-FRIENDLY- 5 STAR FOOD-INEXPENSIVE-BEST IN MALTA”
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Back to Malta again for the third time in about 8/9 years AND ZEFFIRINO’s.

My wife and I stayed at the Seabank again, half board. Mixed comments about the food there-which I won’t go into.

Now onto the “Zeffirino” restaurant about 300 yards up the hill towards Mellieha town.

We used Zeffirino many times (about 10 times) on our previous 2 visits to Malta and we honestly were looking forward to going back a few times this year ( 15-25th August 2011).

We made a purposeful walk up the hill during the day and made a reservation for a couple of days later in the evening at 7-30pm. When we strolled inside, we were greeted by Sue’s (the owner) staff warmly and said we hade been a few times on previous holidays and wanted more of their wonderful food. We booked inside, as it’s a lot cooler than sitting outside on their outside terrace, with the wonderful view of the town on the hill with it's ancient church. Sue was around and she did recognise us and was happy to see we had come back yet again.

At 7-30pm on the Saturday, we walked in and as Sue had seen us walking up the hill, she had switched on the Air Con by our table near the stairs. This was great, as I had always appreciated their Air Con to cool us down when we ate our meals as the evenings in Malta in August are still very hot.

Service was brilliant from the start, with Sue and her son showing us the “days catch” of fish they had on their menu that night. Drinks came rapidly and a complimentary homemade starter to tantalise us into their superb menu. There was no rush to order. Sue came back out and advised my wife about the types of fish (if she wanted fish-which she did-from experience in the past). The Lampuki had just come into season and Sue recommended that for my wife. We have always taken the advice of Sue before and she is a great advisor of what is good to eat on the night.

My secret was to eat another of Zeffirino’s Fillet Steaks. Simple, no frills or sauces and served medium- with home cooks fresh vegetables. So yes, it was Steak for me.

Well, when the meal arrived and you get quite large portions here (if you want it), my wife had 2 Lampuki on her plate (not just one)-thanks Sue. Sue expertly filleted the fish for my wife and at the same time my generous sized Fillet Steak came with a token dressing, as the main vegetables came in separate dishes. By the way, her son is the Chef here and believe me he can certainly put / cook the main meals to 5 star standards. The fish was superb. I don’t eat a lot of fish, but tried my wife’s - very good. The Steak was “out of this world”-no waste/fat-just pure cooked quality meat. I have to admit, we have eaten at a lot of expensive restaurants in the past-BUT ZEFFIRINO BEATS MOST BY A LONG WAY.EXCELLENT.

We were full, but managed to pop one of their “puddings” down as well. Perhaps we did not really want it-but we were on holiday.

A superb evening, great service, a good atmosphere. An enjoyable experience again.

By the way, we booked up that evening for our last night in Malta-so we could savour the wonderful food they serve.

Nothing is too much trouble for Sue and her crew. The complimentary liquor afterwards was an extra little treat. Night 2 at ZEFFIRINO was as great as the first.

Guess what- another Fillet Steak for me (as good as the 1st one0.My wife had fish again, but I can’t remember what it was.

The bill for each evening was about 65 Euros-which considering what we had plus a bottle of wine, beer, sparkling water was good value for money. Their menu does have cheaper, good quality local dishes, which would mean you spend less money eating here. I must admit, we both had the expensive dishes by choice. Well we were on holiday.

ZEFFIRINO, serves local Maltese food and some excellent Italian dishes, which you can vary with Sue’s variations. Also, if you are not into Maltese / Italian dishes, they also cater for kid’s dishes and simple plain menu’s as well. Pizzas / pastas (Italian style) salads/ burgers and of course Rabbit dishes, which is the Maltese national dish.

The best food in Malta
Go to ZEFFIRINO-you will not regret it.

Sue has a load of pictures on FACEBOOK-so have a look at that as well.

THANKS AGAIN AND WE WILL BE BACK AGAIN