“overall verdict = fair”

Maspalomas Oasis Club
Ranked #113 of 216 Hotels in Maspalomas
Reviewed March 22, 2009

This is a 2 star budget hotel which more or less met my expectations.

Accommodation consists of one or two storey apartments which are basic but clean. Tired interior with grey plastic furniture, worn thin towels and cooking hobs which don't heat sufficiently to boil a pan of water (not that we really needed to). Towels are changed every 3 days and bedding once a week. Bring your own hair dryer as it's 22 euros to hire one. I thought the general appearance of the outside of the complex was quite charming with plastic chairs and table in your individual porch area, communal sun loungers around the pool, mature plants and a pleasant open air bar area. The pool was clean and an adequate size for splashing around in but not serious swimming.

The meals were fair. Tasty salads but no vegetarian main dishes (maybe it's unreasonable to expect otherwise in this part of the world). Meat was apparently ok. Lunch was often recycled in a slightly different form for the evening meal. Tea and coffee from the machine took a bit of getting used to. Unlimited drinks at the bar were as you'd expect - local budget brands.

Staff were cheerful, helpful and polite. Guests were mainly British, Germans and Spanish and everyone we encountered was very friendly. There was quite a few kids around.

I can't comment on the entertainment as we didn't really participate, but there was a timetable of activities for children and adults.

The bus ride to the beach is short and free and the beach itself is lovely and very clean. Taxi fares are regulated and very resonable, it was only a few minutes drive from Playa del Inglais with its restaurants, shops and clubs. Local attractions such as Palmitos Park (a really lovely, well kept little zoo) and Aqua Land (great fun!) are quite close. Be aware that whilst restaurant prices are approximately equivalent to the UK, local supermarkets are rather more expensive.

I don't think I'd visit Gran Canaria again, as although I had an enjoyable and relaxing stay, it's a tourist island with no local character or culture (I couldn't find any, anyway). However, if you're just looking to chill out and enjoy the sun and lovely beaches then it may be exactly the place you want.

1  Thank Naomi_NSW
There are newer reviews for Maspalomas Oasis Club

Reviewed March 9, 2009

We thought we would like a week away in the winter and researched the tripadvisor website and decided on Oasis Club. It had quite a few good reviews and have now realised they probably stayed at the Green Oasis club. On arrival we were handed the keys and had to carry very heavy bags down a large set of steps and then up again to our room. Luckily we were able bodied and could do so. On arrival in room we were a bit disappointed with the cleanliness. The towels (2 only) were gray and no bathmat. The floor was very slippery. We decided to go and get a snack as this was advertised from 3-4. this consisted of a tray of cake cut in small pieces. We walked down the road and had to buy something as dinner was not until 6pm. On the first night I got into the shower and started to wash my hair, less than 2 monutes into the shower the water turned cold. I had to continue rinsing my hair in cold water which was not pleasent. My husband had a similar situation. We complained to the reception staff who said that someone would look at it. We then went off to dinner. The restaurant reminded me of a 60s cafe with plastic tableclothes. the food was semi warm and very unappertising. I took a piece of fish that because it was so hard thought it was chicken. the only good part of the place was the pool area which was quiet. the sunloungers where just plastic slatted beds with no cushion on it which was very uncomfortable. After 2 days of complaining our tank was replaced and then we managed to get 7-10 minutes of hot water!!! We ate out every night as the food was terrible. We did not expect the Ritz but hot food would be good and also a hot shower! In all I would not recommend my worst enemy to go to this hotel. thank goodness we only had to eat there for breakfast and lunch. Even then cold scamble eggs are not pleasent. I ended up eating cereals (coco pops) every day. The entertainment is non exsistant and prizes for bingo were discount vouchers.

Reviewed March 8, 2009

The wife & I stayed hear for the 1st week in March 09 , Where do I start rooms like 1970 Butlins, Towels Grey & thin & small because they was very old (should be thrown away very old ) Fringe leaked water all over the floor Bed very uncomfortable again with old sheets with stains on the mattress & covers's , Shower lucky if my Wife had enough hot water to shower and wash her hair 3 Minute max hot water , TV 1euro an hour when working sky sports1 & sky 1 only. Restaurant decor & table setting like 1960 transport cafe. Food normally cold or warm at the best and the worst food we have ever had in any Hotel were we have stayed in the world since we have been together (39yrs) Bar only 1 bar that is poolside so when cold no were in the evening's to sit & have a drink, Drinks served in plastic cups Entertainment the only way to describe this is laughable , Sunbeds very hard and uncomfortable always plenty available Swimming Pool now this was keep clean & the only good thing about the Hotel during the day very quite & relaxing

Reviewed February 28, 2009

It was very clean and tidy.
The grounds were very pretty. Offers a free transfer to the beach but we walked it everyday as it was not far.
Food was great and staff very friendly.
I can't say anything bad and i would go back anytime :-)
10/10

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank flower020
Reviewed February 21, 2009

Maspalomas Oasis Club

There was a lot of pluses for the price we paid for this week all in.
First impressions of Gran Canaria were very positive, the place is green very clean and palm tresses everywhere. Weather, it was great, between 25 to 30 degrees, but does cool down at night. The last two days were on the cloudy side, but still warm

Hotel was very clean and i thought the food was great for the price, a wide choice, do expect stuff to be reborn as another dish in the evening etc. The deserts were the only bad point, but all in all a ok. To many Brits expect the Ritz, they really moaned and groaned about the food. If you want the best stay at the Ritz or Hilton and pay 100 to 200 hundred pound a night. Not a week with flights and transfer for £400 a week, some people.

Drinks were ok, beer was fine and the whisky was as good as a normal bottle of blended, that did me fine and the bar man used to just fill up my half pint glass to the top.

Entertainment was lacking, but i knew this before we booked and we planned to chill out in the evenings. Was great we made friends and really had some great nights chatting. One real downer was the music, they cater for a lot of Germans and play old 80s German music, the week we went it was more Brits. Still we had to put up with old German songs or English Christmas songs :shock: :?

The apartment was basic but you sleep and go and like i said before , for the price what does one expect? The cleaner we had, that did our room was a young lady with a smile on her face. She was so good she folded clothes up, sorted out my wife's makeup bag tidied up the draws, best service we have seen on a package holiday in Europe/Canary islands. I gave her 10 euro and she looked bemused and said for me? I said yes and she said Happy flight :o)

For the kids, Alfred the man who does animations, is a nice guy and does what he can with what he has got The kids will have fun making new friends while the adults unwined by the bar. We found the staff to be helpful and had no problems at all with them.

A few things that do need addressing. No outside toilet. So when the restaurant is closed you have to go to your room. If you have a night flight and check out of the room at 12 noon, when the restaurant is closed you got to hold it in, or like us use someones apartment. The bar is outside only, so if it rains at night you are in doo doo, but we had no problem at all and that's in february

Sort the music out at the bar, it does not cost the earth to buy a couple of compilation albums in German and English.

You are very secluded but the hotel in conjunction with others in the area off a regular bus service to the beach front, free of charge. We used it a few times.

Would i recommend this hotel? Damn right i would. We really enjoyed it and like any hotel you notice the good points and the bad, but for the price you really will not be disappointed, unless you have stupid expectations of paying YMCA prices and expecting the Hilton. Or, you expect the food to either be top dollar or home cooked like your mum made it. Its not England, so don't expect it to be like English food.

Here is a link to my holiday

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Dustyjoe
Reviewed October 28, 2008

We just came back from Maspalomas Oasis Club last night and really didnt want to come home.

I cant understand the bad reviews about it. We loved it.

My husband and I (37 & 32) wanted a relaxing week and thats exactly what we got. Its a very small place, so perfect for peace and quiet. The staff were lovely, very friendly, always said hello and had a chat. The bungalows were a lot better than what I expected, basic but clean! The food was fine, always found something to eat.

I dont think I would go there with kids though. The entertainer seemed brilliant with the kids and there were some activities but not enough to stop them from getting bored.

We just sunbathed for the week (apart from going to the market in Mogan one day) and feel great for it!!

I wasnt very happy at first when I noticed there wasnt a shop there, but then I realised that you are allowed to go into the Green Oasis (2 minute walk) and use the shop there, so that was fine.

All in all, a lovely holiday and we are already thinking of going back there in January.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank Gillg2
Reviewed August 21, 2008

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Fred41