“Still Beautiful”

Campo Golf Bungalows
Ranked #108 of 217 Hotels in Maspalomas
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We have just returned from a week in Campo Golf the sixth time we have stayed there. The complex and indeed the rooms have not changed muchin the dozen oor so years since weve been going. The staff are excellent very friendly, the rooms cleaned regularly the gardens and pool immaculate . If I had a critism it would behaving to pay for a toaster and 20 euros for tv for a week we didn`t have either. The weather whilst nice and warm was a bit hit and miss with lots of heavy cloud covering the sun but very pleasant to walk in and do some exploring, although this time of year at night a light pullover or cardigan is advisible.
Faro 2 by the complex is a shadow of its former self with most of the shops empty and only a couple of restaurants. We ate at Broncemar 2 but would not recommend it very average.
Where to eat, well our favourite this time were Hemmingways quite a walk albeit a lovely one away in Meloneras and in Playa Del Ingles a beach front place called Kallamot where we had 2 lovely lunches. Bodegas which we love has become very expensive , a litre of Sangria 17 euros and our 2 course meal with that Sangria costing 70 euros with my wife having a Spag Bol. Hemmingways we both had Steaks and a litre of Sangria for 52 euros and it was very nice.
Overall it is becoming an expensive place to visit . Food wise it is not to bad but the drinks seem to be a bit of a rip off in places. At the bungalows for example we had lunch one day and very nice it was to but over half our 27 euro bill was for drinks. Vodka was 3 euros a measure yet at the complexes supermarket you can buy a litre bottles for under 9 euros so we had lunch at our bungalow rather than the bar which is a shame as the stafff realy are superb.
The complex is lovely and quiet and reasonable value at 49 euros per night. If you want to have a nice quiet relaxing holiday then this is the place.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank after8

Reviewed December 31, 2011

Spent a week in December 2011 in a 2-bedroom unit facing a pool. Majority are 1-bedroom ones. Most of the bungalows were unoccupied and the area was very quiet suiting us well. There was no noice during night. Pool area had lots room, only a handful of people during days. Our bungalow received sunshine all day but half of units face north.

Grounds were clean and nice. Threre is a little supermarket at the corner. A larger one is in Faro II shopping center, about 1km away.

Bungalows are quite basic but very clean. Inside was a bit cold on arrival but warmed up during stay. Mattresses were quite hard. There was a stove, fridge and basic cook ware. Coffee machine was a bit small, only 3 cups. No toaster.

Walk to the beach was about 2km and playa del ingles 3km. Taxi about 3euros.

There is a TV-room and snack bar.

Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hopsismi
Reviewed February 22, 2011

I spent quite a while trying to get some accomodation for my week long stay last week. i have been to Playe del Ingles before and decided that Maspalomas or Meloneras would be a bit less dated and more chilled.
It turned out that last week was fairly busy in the resorts and it was difficult enough to get anything.

Eventually I found the Campo Golf Bungalows on Tripadvisor and they were available. I booked them with some trepidation as I thought the location was probably a bit far away from everything. I also wondered how I was able to get the last one when so many other properties were gone already.

Anyway I neednt have worried as I was very happy with these bungalows. They are spotless and while a bit dated- like much of this area- they had many plus points.

The apts are in a quiet location and there was not much noise at all. We were not beside the road but the traffic is not heavy at night anyway. About half of the eighty units seem to be owner occupied so this made the complex feel like a community.
i noticed that when I was sitting at the coffee bar near the pool that many people seemed to know each other which I liked. There are tenants from the Uk, Germany and Scaninavia so I didnt feel we were out-numbered by any one nationality.

The pool area never gets too busy and there were always beds available when we wanted to stay in the complex. The man who runs the coffee bar is very friendly and we stopped off in the afternoons for a beer and a toastie or a coffee. There is free wifi at the coffee area which is handy if you dont fancy roaming charges.

In general I found all the staff very friendly and helpful. I asked reception could we hold our room a little longer on our last day and they organised the cleaner to leave our room til last. We were able to keep our room until 2 pm instead of 12 which meant we were able to go the beach. We had to head to the airport at 4 so this was perfect. There was no extra charge for this.

The bungalows themselves are basic but very clean. We arrived at night and I thought they were very dark at first. However they are not- they all get the sun at some stage of the day. The beds were comfortable and I had a great nights sleep everytime. I know some people found them hard according to reviews here on TA but I think unless you are used to sleeping in a soft bed, you will be fine.
The shower also seems to be a problem for some people here. The first night , my friend had a long shower and shave and there was no hot water for me. However I went first every day after that and I found that if you didnt run the water for a long time, there was plenty of hot water for both of us. The shower is also very powerful, so I felt very clean after using it.
The Supermarket in the complex is very basic but handy for things like water, coffee etc. There is a large supermarket a few minutes down the road and I noticed most people did a big shop there and then topped up locally as they went along.
The grounds are lovely as everything is well tended and clean. There are lots of flowers and plants around the complex.

We walked down to Maspalomas beach most days and its only a 25-30 minute walk. Its very pleasant too as you walk past the nature reserve on the way. There are plenty of places in Maspalomas to have drinks or food and we used to have breakfast down here most mornings.

If you walk a further ten minutes along the shoreline to the right after the lighthouse, you find several restaurants serving Italian, Mexican etc. They are all very modern and a little more expensive then Playa Del Ingles. We ate down here one of the nfghts and I would highly recommend the Gran Italia. We also tried the Mexican Sushi restaurant but I thought that while the sushi was ok, the Mexican food was very processed.

Most nights we headed down to the Yumbo Center and again this was only a 25 minute walk. We would walk down and then take a taxi home. It only cost €3.50 so its quite cheap. Taxis are very plentiful so its always easy to find one when you are not in the mood for walking. A taxi to Maspalomas is also only €3.50 from the Campo Golf Apts.

We found some great restaurants down on Avenida Tirijana near the Yumbo including Barbados and Merlins- you should try them when you are in town.

We went to Mogan for the day too. Its easy to get to- we walked up to the Amusement park along the river bed and got the bus outside there. They come along every 30 minutes and take about 45 minutes to get to Mogan. The first two buses were full but they seem to monitor this as another bus came along ten minutes after the scheduled bus that was full. Mogan has a lovely small beach and lots of lovely cafes and restaurants. Its also very pretty and makes a nice change to the other resorts.

I think the Campo Golf Bungalows are a great budget place to stay in Gran Canaria. I will stay there again as they are clean, quiet and close enought o everything you need. We paid €385 between us for one week to stay here which is amazing value.
Some of my friends stayed in one of the 5 star hotels down the road last November and they loved it there. However they paid over €800 Each for a week.
I guess my point is that you get what you pay for and I would rather pay for somewhere clean and basic and then spend the money on dinner and trips.

If you are young and love nightlife, I think it would be better to stay in Playa Del Ingles as it is much livelier. If you are into luxury or on honeymoon, then the hotels in Meloneras are a better bet. I think this place is perfect for a budget week away in the sun where you want to chill out and get a tan.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Gary W
Reviewed February 2, 2011

We have stayed here several times over the last ten years and have always returned. Although the bungalows are basic the things that attract us are the peaceful, quite nature of the complex. The friendly and efficient reception staff and well kept clean grounds. Half of the bungalows are now privately owned and this ensures a good upkeep and mutual respect around the complex. There is a lovely large clean pool in the centre of the grounds and an on-site supermarket. Nearby (10 mins walk) there are shops and a larger super market. We like walking which is why we choose this location. Everywhere around Maspalomas is flat unless you choose to walk up the hill to Playa Del Ingles. The nearby nature reserve is a UNESCO protected area with a wonderful natural lake and miles of surrounding sand dunes. It takes two hours to walk to Playa Del Ingles and then walk back across the sand dunes to the light house at Maspalomas. It takes 35 minutes to walk down to the light house from the Bungalows. It takes 50 minutes to walk to the Meloneras Beach area. Prices have gone up since our last stay and a two course meal excluding drinks in many restaurants would set you back £18 - £22. There are however some very nice restaurants around the Lighthouse and Meloneras areas. I personally recommend La Bodega, Grand Italia, Ciao Ciao and 19th Hole. In Playa Del Ingles there is a fantastic well priced chinese restaurant called Slow Boat, situated on Avenida De Alferences Provisionales next to Roque Nublo Hotel. (Don't confuse with Slow Boat 2 or 3 etc. which are elsewhere and not related, however I haven't tried the others)

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2010

Ok, Campo golf bungalow! we went with my partner not long ago. The bungalows are pretty basic you get what pay for.
Upsides: The place is pretty quite, big pool, near shops and walking distance to the beach and faro 2.
downside: The tv are on a meter 1euro for 57mins. No cooker. beds are hard!!!
*** Woken up at 00:30 by someone letting off fireworks about 15 feet from our bungalow***
P.s Dont have the any of lasagne meals from the pool bar

Reviewed June 14, 2010

Really helpful owners/staff (family run). Lovely pool, 10 - 15 mins walk from Faro area with its 5 star hotels and expensive boutiques yet costing hardly anything. A real bargain for those who don't mind basic, but clean, accomodation. For an example of one of the restaurants within walking distance have a look at Samara....
Also, if you do stay there try the Restaurant next to the main entrance - Rustico - best meal of our holiday (we went back!)

1  Thank JonnyH01
Reviewed May 16, 2010

Stayed there May 2010 had a fantastic week complex lovely and clean, very peaceful and quiet, ideal for couples wanting to relax. Great pool area free sunbeds. Not many bars and restaurants in walking distance ( faro 2 being refurbished) but taxis very cheap.