“Food very diappointing”
Review of Tabaiba Princess

Tabaiba Princess
Ranked #66 of 218 Hotels in Maspalomas
Reviewed December 29, 2009

Having just returned from a week's holiday at this platinum graded hotel booked with Thomson, both my husband and I were very disappointed with the quality of the food. We have stayed many times in Thomson's 3star hotels and had better selection. The so-called steak served to your liking blurb never materialised as all the meat was stacked up on a plate!
The complex itself was great and impressive and the rooms very good. A shame that one had to pay for a safe and fridge, both 13.50 Euros each for a week! I would have thought that staying in a 5T hotel these amenities should have been included.
The dunes were lovely though and the walk to the lighthouse very enjoyable.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,407)

Reviewed December 28, 2009

It is difficult to find fault with this hotel. It is clean with well furnished rooms and lots of open spaces with nice furnishings. The grounds are extensive with mini golf, gardens and fountains, not to mention numeours pools. One is heated to a very comfortable temperature (31C when we were there). There is also a free sauna and steam room. The buffet style meals were excellent with a wide choice on offer, and the service is to a high standard. The animation team were very good and offered volleyball, archery, shooting and lots more. It is a 25 -min walk to the beach area and not much to do in the immediate vicinity of the hotel, but there is a golf course nearby.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 24, 2009

We visited the hotel for a belated Birthday/ Wedding Anniversary and to get some Winter sunshine which we did get as the weather was lovely. We didnt arrive until late afternoon ,as at Las Palmas Airport there was a massive delay at Passport Control as three flights arrived together and every single passport was checked and scanned. On arrival at the hotel the entrance was light and attractive with lovely plants and greenery everywhere which gave a good impression. The male staff at check in where curt and not very friendly and we did mention that we had requested a high floor and a non smoking room. When we were shown to our rom it was on the second floor which is deemed to be high even though there are three floors ! It was a family room with three beds and a table and two chairs which on first impressions made it seem very cramped which it was. It also was very close to its twin, The Maspalomas Princess which overlooked each other. We felt very disappointed and went to request another room immediately. We were met with the cursary response that the hotel was full and that we must return in two days which we did, and again we were sent away to return in three days. We gave up in the end and stayed where we were which was not too bad as we then learned that the family rooms were on that side so were very quiet at night. All in all in our view all things considered we do not feel that this is of Thomson " Platinum " standard which we expected.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2009

Most of the reviews on here are spot-on!
This hotel is great!
The hotel is in Maspalomas, a quiet resort, so if you like the hustle and bustle of restaurants/bars/shops/nightlife this isn't for you....you'd be better off in Playa del Ingles!

I am very fussy, and like everything to be perfect......well, you can't get much better than this!
However, on reading the few negative reviews, I realised that there's just no pleasing some people and I can't believe how fussy people can be.

On arrival in the early hours, we were greeted by lovely staff, who made sure we were in our roooms quickly and efficiently, without having to wait. Coffee and juice was awaiting us in the lobby, which was welcome after our flight.
The lobby really had the wow-factor!
We got to our room, it was lovely! However, a repair-man had left his step-ladders and tools etc in the room.
We went back to reception and were swiftly given another room within minutes, with profuse apologies.
Despite what someone has written, neither of the rooms we saw rooms were outdated at all! In fact they were modern and bright, very clean and comfortable!
Just what I would expect from a 4* - 5* hotel.
Our room overlooked the outdoor bar/entertainment area.....this was no problem, the entertainment didn't go on too late, and we had a perfect view of it all from our balcony if we decided not to go down, to join in the fun.
The entertainment was great.....something for everyone! The youngsters had a mini-disco with lots of fun activities earlier in the evening. My 4 year old daughter is very shy and doesn't join in things much.....I was surprised and pleased to find her joining in and making friends. The entertainment staff were fantastic with the children!
Later on there was family entertainment..... Parrot shows/singers/acrobats/magicians......the usual type of stuff.....and it was all pretty good! Enjoyable to watch!

The restaurant was fantastic!
Despite what some have said. I don't know what some people expect from this type of hotel....a'la carte? Well if that's what you expect, pay to go to a luxury 5* +++ platinum hotel!
You are greeted by a friendly waiter who takes you to your table.
I'm fussy about food, and so is my daughter, but there was so much variety to choose from. The food was hot, cooked well and really, really yummy!
They seemed to cater for every type of diet and nationality. You were spoiled for choice.
The hot-table would have a variety of different dishes.....beef, pork chicken etc, and the chefs are there serving up the dishes fresh out of the kitchen....they aren't left on the hot-plate to dry out. New dishes are brought out regularly and the chefs were slicing the meat at the hot-plate.
There was a huge array of cold food and salads to choose from too!
Breakfast was great too.....I opted for the full english breakfast type of thing. Bacon, eggs, sausages, toast, beans, tomatoes etc.....home from home....fantastic!
There are a lot of continental style foods aswell.
We loved the restaurant and I am amazed at some of the comments on here!
The outdoor restaurants by the pool were great to.....we had some superb lunches there!

The pool was great!
Really beautiful.... a network of 'islands' with restaurants/bars/spa's on them....reached by little bridges. Some had 'beaches', the 'sand' was gritty.....but it was nice to just laze on the loungers on the 'beach' while my daughter paddled in front of us.
There was a waterfall cut into the wall by the restaurant, and it was lovely to look out onto this whilst eating out dinner in the evening.

I've been to Maspalomas before, so knew what to expect.
The hotel is in a quiet area, there's not so much going on around....a few restaurants etc. If you want to be more centrally located for night-life, shops, restaurants etc, I would recommend staying in Playa del Ingles instead.

Maspalomas beach is not far away from the hotel, a bit far to walk with a 4 year old, just a 5 min drive away in a taxi, which are stationed at the hotel and are cheap enough.
Walking the dunes is a must.
Maspalomas has some lovely little shops/bars and restaurants overlooking the sea, but it's not a big place and quite quiet.....just what we like!
Also have a walk from Maspalomas along the sea-front to Meloneras....with it's boutiques and array of restaurants overlooking the sea. This is where all the really posh hotels are.....it's lovely....you won't be disappointed.

There is an amusement park nearby and a big shopping centre.

Trips to go on:
Sioux City is a must!
The Yellow Sumbmarine!
The Aquapark!

Can't wait to go back there!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank chebs100
Reviewed October 4, 2009

A fantastic hotel - we spent a week here and couldn't have relaxed more if we had tried. We managed to get the 14p all inclusive deal from Thomsons (which is no longer available - we heard it was actually a mistake on the website). and it proved to be a superb holiday. The whole experience was hassle free from check in to getting home.

Our booking was with the Maspalomas Princess but we were put in the Tabaiba due to our all inclusive status. Didn't matter as both hotels are exactly the same and adjacent. In fact they are so alike, you can get a bit confused about which bit of the hotel you are in.

The pool area and tropical gardens are outstanding with immaculately clean facilities, and plenty of large comfortable sunbeds. There is also lots of shade under the palm trees for when it gets too hot. There are plenty of bars and places to get snacks and also a place called Massage Island where you can get a superb massage although it is a little expensive but worth it. The food is a bit average and gets 'samey' after a few days but there was plenty of it and lots of variety.

The rooms were cleaned every day and were high quality, although the air con is very weak. Recommend a room on the top floors to stay away from noise of the evening entertainment which is in the basement. Not to our taste, but plenty going on. Showers were good in the rooms with plenty of hot water, comfortable beds, mini bar and safe for valuables.

The location is about a 20 min walk from the beach but its quicker, and cooler to get a taxi down to Faro Boulevard where there are fabulous designer shops, restaurants and a gorgeous beach (nudist beach also further along the coast if thats your thing).

There were very few Brits in the Tabaiba, mainly Germans and Dutch. All very polite and most people kept themselves to themselves. Very few children which meant it is lovely and quiet around the pool during the day.

Was told this was one of the better hotels on the island and after going to explore Playa de Ingles (for 5 mins and then getting back in the taxi quick!) can see that this is probably true. Would say it is a 4 star rather than 5 as touted but none the less superb. We will definitely be going back again next year.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NuShoes
Reviewed September 3, 2009

This is our first visit to Gran Canaria and I must say I'm really glad we choose to stay in Maspalomas, having visited some of the other resorts in the area during the holiday I would defiantly say that Maspalomas is the right place for a late 30's married couple without children, not that I'm saying this area is only childless couples, lol

Maspalomas has great beaches, a high class of shops including lacoste, Hugo Boss and just gives off a high quality resort feel, please see my photo's of the area.

We travelled with Thomson, the flight was 3 hours late taking off, meaning we did not arrive in GC until 5am, not good. We had booked all inclusive through a special offer they were doing in August (1p per night per person), this was a great offer. Thomson had not communicated that we were all inclusive to the hotel and hence this needed to be resolved the next morning, the rep quickly resolve this, apparently this was not the first time they had made this same mistake, so this was not very good, we need to move to the hotel next door (Tabaiba), both hotels are identical, I think they build the hotels like this because they can get around room restriction i.e. max rooms allowed per hotel 200, two hotels with shared facilities can equal 400 rooms.
The food

I found the hotel to be just what I was looking for, it's not 5* but it is of a good standard, the food is very good, but I would get bored of it if I was here longer than 7 days, this is nothing to do with the actual food as there is a great choice, but you just get bored of eating when your half board/all inclusive I think, yes it is buffet style self-service, but I like this style as you can eat what you like, if you try something new and don't like it you can just go back and try something else. I found the food to be very well seasoned, they had themed food some evenings, Mexican, Chinese and of course Spanish as we were all inclusive we got beer, wine, soft drinks and water on tap self service.

The room

The room was nice, we had a great view from the second floor towards the pool, with a balcony that had the late afternoon sun, there were a few things I did not like about the room though and these are my only negatives about the hotel: -

1. The bathroom was not clean enough, the first thing I did was clean the bathroom, the shower screen was very dirty with lots of soap scum, the tiles, taps and the bath plug were also very dirty, the hand towel I used to clean the bathroom was black, the plug was partially dirty with a rusty ring holding the plug to the chain.

2. The Air Conditioning was very weak not cool enough for me, I like it as an escape from the heat and this is not what this AC gives, it was cool enough to sleep though, this might just be my personal preference.

3. Pillows, these were possibly the worst pillows I have ever experienced, if you have room in your case pack at least one pillow.

TIP: Ask for a third floor room with a view of the pool

The entertainment

Now the entertainment was not brilliant but I did really enjoy it most nights. Every night there are normally two lots of entertainment one at 9pm and another at 10pm

An example would be maybe an interactive bird show at 9pm where the children can meet some birds and at 10pm an IL Divo tribute band, they had a different act at 10pm every night, the 9pm slot was quite often repeated.

TIP: Use both hotels entertainment, each hotel has its own entertainment and you can use both.

Yes there is a 20-25 minute walk to the beach area, but this is a really nice, flat walk, that’s well lit, when you get to the beach end you will find a conservation area that is just beautiful (See Photos). Anyway you’ll be needing the walk once you have eaten all that food in the restaurant. I saw no time share people on any of my trips.
TIP: Head out of the gate by the mini golf, cross the road and walk along the side of the storm drain, head for the light house, when you get to the end turn right and follow the coast route to the best shops and restaurants.

Hotel and grounds

The hotel grounds and pools are fantastic, there are large pools with hundreds of sun loungers, no matter what time I got to the pool there was never a problem getting a lounger. The landscaping is suburb with hundreds of palm trees and other tropical plants, while in Gran Canaria we visited the Jardin Botanical Canario and I must say the grounds at the hotel where ten times better.
All communal areas of the hotel are very clean and tidy, there is a mini golf (€3.50 each) 2 for 1 between 17:00 – 20:00, there are two tennis courts, a football pitch. There are various activates throughout the day starting with water aerobics in the main pool.

All in all a good holiday, lovely area and fantastic hotel, only slightly let down by the rooms cleanliness.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank cjdavey
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I cannot believe some of the negatives in peoples reveiws who have stayed at this hotel.I think my husband and i must of been blind or only wore coloured speticles.We stayed for one week and could not find fault with anything.The food was lovely and plentiful,different variety to choose from.you would definately not go hungry.We will be returning,any changes will let you know.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank berrons
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maspalomas
Maspalomas Princess Hotel
1 mi away
Lopesan Costa Meloneras
Lopesan Costa Meloneras
#3 of 3 in Meloneras

Been to Tabaiba Princess? Share your experiences!