“Place to relax”

Ranked #7 of 217 Hotels in Maspalomas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 9, 2010

Excellent hotel !
Its golf resort and position of hotel is on the big rock, allowing you beautiful view from every point of hotel. I must admit that guests are mostly elder people (I'm 29 y o). Rooms are nice, with glass between room and shower , and Sheraton well know great beds.
Breakfast is until 11am, which is great but if you come after 10 you won’t find everything which they offer for early risers :( (best time around 9). Every night is a different theme for dinner, house wine is excellent (just to know, if you have half board, that does not include drink in price so you need to pay that extra).
Room service is really slow and housekeeping could be better.
You have gratis transportation to beach house (which is near beach, hotel does not have own beach) or you can take taxi to maspalomas for about 12-15€.
The best thing in hotel are pools, which I don’t know how many are there, but the biggest on the 11th floor is just awesome.
I would come back there for sure

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Salobre2008, Director of Sales at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2010

Dear Sir:

Thank you for taking your tie to write a review about our hotel.

We are happy to know that over all everything was of your entire satisfaction. As you mentioned in your review, the swimming pool at the 11th floor is an awesome place to spend your days in a relaxing way, especially on the Balinese beds area.
Regarding your comments on the food and housekeeping, I will inform the managers about it. We really appreciate you told us impressions about it; they will help us to improve and to provide a better service to our guests.

Please, do not hesitate to contact me if you ever wish to stay with us again.

Reviewed March 3, 2010

The 36 golf holes and pros up in Salobre are very nice. The Sheraton hotel is though mis placed up in the mountains where there is a significant climate difference compared to down at the beach in Maspalomas. It was far too cold up at Sheraton Salobre so we went down to the beach quite often where it was very nice and warm at the end of December 2009 and early January 2010. Next time we will book one of the nice hotels close to the beach and the small desert.

From a family that travels frequently

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family

Dear Sir:

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about your stay in our hotel.

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your time in our 36 holes golf course.

On the other hand, we are sorry to hear that the weather was not of your entire satisfaction. Unfortunately, we can not have control over it. It is true that sometimes weather in the Salobre area is a bit colder than in Maspalomas, but we can ensure you that many times is the opposite way.

Please, do not hesitate to contact me if you ever wish to stay with us again.

Reviewed February 28, 2010

Because i had booked with lastminute.com I could not leave this place - and I wanted to.
Fortunately I was only there for 3 nights. The bottom line is that this place is huge with no real heart or warmth - if cruise ships are your thing then you will probably love it. A quick list of why I am not coming back.

1- No internet for 2 of the 3 days
2-No hot water one morning (the maintenance guy blamed me for not turning the tap the right way - guess what - the guests next door had the same problem...duh!)
3- Very much an attitidude of 'when I am ready to serve you' from most of the staff. E.g. after standing for 5 minutes at the entrance of their best restaurant with no greeting I had to stand at the kitchen door to grab attention - when I asked the boss to get the manager - he walked across to the desk and.......started tidying the menus.
4- A queue every time you go to the reception
5 - I counted 60 people in the queue to check in one night - 3 coach loads arrived all at the same time
6 - This one kills me - on exiting the hotel, if you wish to enter the highway to go in the opposite direction from Maspalomas (we wanted to go to a restaurant called Aquarella which is amazing) you need to travel about 6 kms in the opposite direction (essentially €12 to get back where you started by taxi - a total of €25 to go 7 kms as the crow flys) because of the way the sliproad to the resort is designed. Pure genius it isn't.
7 - Several reviewers have made reference to the various lifts to get to the different buildings - it is mildly amusing to see the Salobre virgins as they wonder the corridors looking like lost little sheep.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mark-choosy-chappy
Salobre2008, Director of Sales at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2010

Dear Sir:

First of all, thank you for taking your time to write a review about your stay in our hotel.

We have reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. I do apologize for the issue you had with the internet connection and for the service, certainly it is not the type of service we want to offer to our clients. We do appreciate your impressions about it which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

If you ever wish to come back to the island, do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed February 15, 2010

Great. Nice designed. Frindly staff. Good Food. Great few from the top pool area.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear Sirs:

Thank you very much for you review about your stay in our hotel. We are delighted to know that everything was of your entire satisfaction.

If you ever wish to come back to the hotel, do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed February 5, 2010

Wonderful resort. We went in February, and happened to be there during a few rainy days. I'd say we did not get full use of everything because it was too cold to be out in the pools. However, I must say the staff was excellent. The spa was wonderful. We got the couple's massage and they made accomodations for my pregnancy since I could not lay on my belly. The hotel grounds are huge with a different pool at every turn. If you are traveling with little kids, there is a little play area for them with a slide and climbing playhouse. For older kids, there is a room with pool, pingpong (and I believe I saw fooseball.) The room itself was also really nice. Our favorite part was the shower room with a soaking tub also in it. It has a glass window to the sleeping area. Great for romantic couples. Not so great if you are with kids or a friend. But, there may be just other types of rooms. The view from every room is just beautiful. Being that it is built by a golf course, the view is very green, which is somewhat refreshing because the entire island is a bit desert-like with lots of mountains, rocks and cacti. Keep in mind, when there are any clouds in the forecast, you can be sure that they'll be hanging around the hotel because the hotel is built right on the top of a hill where the clouds linger. It was noticeably a bit cooler there than say, at the beach. I would definitely go back to this hotel in the summer next time.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Salobre2008, Director of Sales at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2010

Dear Madam:

Thank for taking your time to write this nice review about your stay in our hotel.

As per stayed by you, you may never want to leave the resort! It is a quite relaxing place where the service and the great facilities make it one of a kind. We recommend you to come during from May to October time if what you want is to get more sun (even though it is pretty warm all year round here).

Do not hesitate to contact me if you choose to stay with us on your next visit to Gran Canaria.

Reviewed January 3, 2010

We stayed at the Sheraton for one week during Chrristmas period in 2009. We chose and booked this hotel via a tour operator offering flight and half board basis. The hotel is fascinating, beautiful architecture, beautiful room (we got upgraded to abigger room, we received upon arrival champagne and fruits, almost everyday free mineral water), great views, beautiful setting and wonderful pools. Not many people around (maybe they were all playing golf), not many yelling children (the place does not suit for children, they have no distractions but the pools). The room was huge, a big big bath area: one shower and bathtub room, with a window overlooking the valley through the room, a big basin area, very comfortable bed (not so for the pillows, they were really soft and not to my taste, they should really think about a pillow menu at the hotel), a big balcony fully furnished. The room was simply great. The staff was rather nice and helpful. The only problem is that the hotel is really far away from averything. Yes they have a free shuttle bus (it takes 20 minutes to go to the Maspalomas centre which is not so fascinating): it's hourly and if you miss it, you wait for one hour to get the next one. And do believe me, if by any chance you suffer the bus (me) you get to the beach and you feel sick. Or you can take a taxi, same history about feeling sick (it's all roundabouts to get to Maspalomas) and you pay some 12 EUROS, but you can have the taxi called at any time. Or else you rent a car. We were unlucky that in the week we were there it rained almost for 5 days: there was NOTHING to do in rainy days. They have seven wonderful pools (by ther way the last day of our stay it was finally sunny: we went to the roof pool and it was FANTASTIC) but otherwise no sun, no organization, internet was not working, nothing to do. Just the SPA, but you have to pay to get in, the turkish bath was out of order, they only offered massages , inside jacuzzi, showers and sauna. You can't just spend 5 days in a sauna.....The place it's great for golfers, I believe (i don't play). The food is ok, the best is the tapas bar, but it's only open on weekends. Then they have the 'signature restaurant' camaleon which is rather expensive for a good standard cuisine (not so heavenly) and again it's only open on weekends. The pool bars are easy and nice ( a bit expensive: sandwiches are some 10 euros, but you pay the setting) and the buffet restaurant (which is the only opotion on weekdays) looks like the office canteen. It's run by a German chef preparing all German specialties you eat at home already 365 days per year. I was looking for some tortillas, paellas, some Spanish specialties and never could find any. On the contrary I did find Rosti, duck, sauerkrauts.... I did not like it, but take it or leave it, you're far away from any good edible possibility during the week..So it really depends on what you're looking for in your holiday whether I'd recommend the hotel or not. Maybe yes but while renting a car

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear Madam:

Thank you for writing a review about your stay in our hotel.

We are happy to know that most of the aspects of the hotel were of your entire satisfaction, specially the rooms, the architecture, the design and the pools. The hotel is conveniently located to offer a quite, relaxing and ‘away from the crowd’ experience to our guests. As mentioned in your review, seems like the shuttle service and the restaurants did not meet your expectations. Be sure that I will personally inform the management about it in order to find a solution for what was mentioned. We do appreciate your impressions which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you ever wish to come back and stay with us.

Reviewed December 18, 2009

I stayed at this Hotel for a week in December 2009 and was truly amazed at the standard of this hotel. Could'nt say the same about the weather though, it was dreadful with torrential rain for three days.
This is a hotel that fits in with the local environment. Staff are incredible and nothing is too much trouble for them. I lost count of all the swimming pools and Bali beds that were around the hotel. Very quiet for middle of December. Rooms are truly lovely, Huge balcony with conservatory furnitire and long bed to lie on. Doesnt get much of the sun though.
Breakfast in the hotel was lovely plenty of everything. I found Food and drink to be very expensive. This is a hotel for relaxing and chilling out and you definately need a car to get around as it is a long way from shops and restaurants. Golf course is superb. We meet with the manager on wednesday night for cocktails and snacks. A courtesy bus runs hourly from the hotel to maspalomas and you can use the sheratons beach house in maspalomas to relax, swim or store your shopping. All in all this is a wonderful hotel pleasently run with very efficient staff and I cant wait to go back there again. Thank you so much to Management and staff for a very nice holiday.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Salobre2008, Director of Sales at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2010

Dear Sir, Madam:

Firstly, thank you very much for taking your time to write a review about your stay with us.

It is very important for us that our clients have an amazing experience while staying in our hotel and we are happy that this is your case. As you mentioned, the hotel, the rooms, the views and the staff fully met your expectations and that confirm us that we are going in a good track

Do not hesitate to contact me if you ever wish to come back and stay with us.

sandra.leibrock@sheraton.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maspalomas
Bohemia Suites & Spa
#2 of 67 in Puerto Rico
Gold By Marina
Gold By Marina
#1 of 134 in Playa del Ingles

Been to Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort? Share your experiences!