“Breakfast and dinner only-and no fairy sprinkles”

Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort
Ranked #6 of 218 Hotels in Maspalomas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed here a few years ago and loved it. This time I booked a villa nearby but ate breakfast and dinner at the hotel. Staff were friendly but reluctant to chat as if they had been briefed not too. Not that I wanted a long discourse but maybe just too busy. You can lose yourself in this large space 'up the mountain' with lovely views. Breakfast was just the same from when I was last here -a large buffet of fruits and hot dishes which I considered good. Plates were too heavy and large, not enough smaller plates for toast /butter and jam. I had to clear my own table several times as staff were extremely busy and overworked. I would suggest for a hotel this size they have a few people specifically to clear the tables. Dinner was not that great seemed a bit tired and not as fresh as it could have been so I ate down in Maspalomas a few times and that was good! The first time I stayed at this hotel there was magic dust but this time hmmmm it seemed that was missing.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Sutherlandmillar
Cristina M, Product Manager at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We do regret that your were not fully satisfied with our food, but I would like to inform you that we are currently revising all our menus and the changes can be noticed shortly.

Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (2,933)

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I have just returned from a weeks holiday with my husband and 8.5 month old baby. I have never written a review before but thought it worth praising the hotel and sharing feedback. Firstly to note we went the second week of September I.e not school holidays. I work for a 5* London hotel chain so was sceptical initially about a 5* rated hotel in grand canaria but was very pleased with our stay. The hotel staff are very friendly and professional. We especially liked the intern on check in and the host in the Golfio restaurant. Check in experience was good, welcome drink on arrival, advised of the amenities.

Spa- very nice

Golf- two 18 hole courses at the hotel. Unfortunately the north course was partly closed due to refurbishment. This was fine as these things have to be done but the 9 holes that were open were not very well kept. The south course was good, not amazing but enjoyable. I was able to ride along in the buggy with the baby which was great as meant my husband got 4 days of golf in the week, more so than if we couldn't have joined him.

Shower temperature- a little hard initially to get the temperature right but not a deal breaker. Only noting as noticed others had commented.

Half board- we had breakfast and dinner half board. Buffet service with BBQ. I was pleasantly surprised at the great selection and quality of the food. Restaurant staff were really friendly, efficient drinks orders/ plates cleared etc. clean high chairs. If you didn't want to always have the self service buffet then you could change a couple of times to eat in one of the other restaurants. If you ate off the set menu it was included. Could have had lunch instead of dinner sometimes then had the option to pay for dinner in one if the other restaurants.

Hotel was spread over the mountainside so never seemed too busy. If you want quiet, sun, pool it is perfect. I'm not sure on the entertainment front as we wanted a really quiet holiday and early nights with the baby but I don't think there was much at the hotel and you would need to venture out if you want this.

One day there was a wedding at the hotel. This didn't inconvenience us at all (could hear a bit of music from our balcny but not with the door closed) and we got to enjoy their fireworks which was lovely.

Although there are no tea and offer facilities in the room you can order one per person a day from room service complimentary. I asked for a kettle also as needed hot water for the baby.

At check out we had to wait a little while but we offered a drink whilst we waited and as our check in experience had been so easy we weren't too fussed. There are 7 pools but all a little cold considering weather was hot. There was a heated pool in the spa. My husband and I couldn't use the lovely pool on the 11th floor as under 16s not allowed and we had a baby but I imagine for those without children this was a big plus! There were other pools we could use and the baby just about coped with the temperature. The 'baby pools' were also to my surprise quite cold and more like shallow streams than pools and we didn't use but probably nice for toddlers to splash about in.

Would recommend to friends and would stay at a Sheraton again. Thank you for a wonderful holiday.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Victoria W

Dear Victoria,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience in our hotel. We are pleased that you chose Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa for you holiday with your baby and glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for reccommending our hotel, and we do hope you come back very soon.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

The hotel is vast. Our room was quite a walk from the main lobby. It is easy to get lost until you have your bearings. We were surprised by the mile long drive way. We felt that the hotel was too far away from any night life, not that we wanted anything hectic - just a few restaurants etc. it seemed odd to build a massive hotel in the middle of nowhere...

If you want to stay in the hotel for the majority of your stay and don't like the busy town area, the this is the place for you. If you go out, take everything with you as it's quite a trek to go back if you forget something!

The hotel is modern, clean and tidy. The grounds are well kept. It was nice to see some greenery as the island is generally very baron.

Very slow check in. Reception desk is understaffed and disorganised. We queued with our luggage for nearly 30 mins and there were only a few people in front of us. We couldn't quite work out why it took so long to check in a handful of guests.

Shuttle bus - Guests should not be expected to book on to it in advance. We tried on two occasions without any luck and hired a car out of frustration as we didn't want to stay in the hotel every day. The bus service is not sufficient for the size of the hotel. The service ends too early in the evening so you can't eat out and come back later in the evening. It's almost as if everything is designed to ensure all guests are back in the hotel so they have no alternative but to have dinner there and then spend money in the bar. As no bus service is provided in the evening, you can only get out of the hotel by having a hire car (so no boozy nights out) or by getting an expensive taxi ride.

We were not given any information about the hotel upon check in, aside from a very basic 'map'. The information provided within our room was equally lacking. This meant that it took us most of the week before we found many of the facilities e.g the chameleon restaurant. It would have been helpful if there had been more of an effort to 'sell' the hotel, the area and the island as a whole.

In my opinion, a 5 star hotel should not have a self service buffet. The staff were rushed off their feet trying to clear and re-lay tables. The buffet food is nice, but we tired of it after 3 days and ate in the Chameleon restaurant, which was far, far better. A more intimate setting for couples, instead of the open plan dining area on the first floor. The hotel should adopt a restaurant service as the norm in place of the canteen style buffet. The hot plates struggled to keep the food warm. At dinner, many of the wines on the menu were unavailable.

Breakfast - Buffet style again. The hot water urn is useless as the water only drips out. If you go for breakfast late, be prepared to eat the left overs and hunt for crockery. I struggled to find any tea pots on a couple of occasions. The variety of the food was good though and we particularly enjoyed the fresh fruit.

The room was well kept. The maid service was good in general. There were no tea / coffee facilities in the room. No iron. No ice bucket. No room in the fridge to store anything. It was a fully stocked fridge but you couldn't even store any bottled water. You were charged if anything was moved.

I had to ask for additional towels at reception as they were not replaced.
The pillows were very thin, but the bed was comfortable.
The hot water in the bathroom was intermittent. Very hot to very cold. Not pleasant or relaxing. I took to having baths instead of a shower so that I didn't have to step aside during my shower to avoid the very hot water.

If you want to sit around a pool and maybe squeeze in a round of golf, then this is the place for you. If you want a slightly more active holiday, then hire a car and go looking for fun elsewhere. If you want nightlife, it would be better to stay somewhere more central.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Jonathan H

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about yoru stay in our hotel. We regret that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay. We have shared yoru suggestions with our team and we assure you that we will work on those changes.

We hope you come back to see the changes made.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We visited Sheraton Salobre in Gran Canaria for 1 week earlier this year in June 2013. We had an absolutely fantastic time. The location of the hotel allowed us to chill out and feel miles away from normal everyday life. I played golf on the South course three times - the views were spectacular and the condition of the course was very good. The food in both restaurants was delicious and a real treat every morning and evening. The staff were very helpful and the service was excellent. The General Manager Alejandro was very welcoming and made sure everything was perfect for our stay. Hope to visit again very soon!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Lisa J
Cristina M, Product Manager at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Lisa,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa. I am so glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay in our hotel and enjoyed the golf courses. I am also very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs.

We do look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I went to the Sheraton Salobre Hotel beginning of September this year with my husband, and we were impressed with the fantastic service and very kind staff in the hotel.
The moment we arrived, we have been greeted with a very warm welcome by the reception and everything had been taken care of from that moment.
I am not a fan of lifts, so we walked up the stairs to find our room, and we got lost a bit, as the construction of the hotel is separated into several buildings. I think we walked around for 10 minutes, and then we asked the restaurant staff, and one of them walked all the way with us to our room, which I thought was so nice of him.
The golf course is right next to the hotel, and I personally prefer the South to the North course. We also played on other golf courses on the island, and Meloneras or Anfi Tauro are my preferences.
Unfortunately I got ill half way through the holidays with a tonsillitis,so I had to stay in my room a couple days. I was impressed by the friendliness of the staff bringing me tea and snacks up to the room for which I did not have to pay. They really looked after me well, and even upgraded us to a junior suite so we felt more comfortable. They also drove me to the doctor 15 mins away from the hotel. Really, I travel to many hotels in the world and never encountered such nice staff as in this hotel. I really recommend it to anyone. Just as a little tip: The sunset pool is amazing, great place to relax during the day and enjoy an aperitif in the evening.
Would we come back? No doubt, as we had a great time- even though it was far too short!
Thanks again to all the wonderful staff at the hotel! You guys are great!
C & T

1  Thank Lisalotte
Cristina M, Product Manager at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed our facilities and services. We do regret that you fell ill half way through, and could not enjoy our facilities to the maximum, but we hope you come back soon to complete your "Sheraton Salobre Experience".

Thank you for the appreciation shown towards our staff, we do always go the extra mile to make our guests holidays as comfortable as possible.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

just back from 10 days at the Salobre Resort Hotel. Although a large hotel, it is very cleverly laid out, making clever use of the levels - built on a hillside. Stayed on 10th floor, room was amazing, shower and bath in wet room with window, view right out to the hills. A great welcome at reception, bags arrived in room very quickly. Food generally good - breakfast was everything you could want. Dinner (we were half board) was a buffet, mostly good, occasionally disappointing. Great variety. Staff attentive and helpful. Free shuttle into Maspalomas every day at different times, easy to get local buses to explore or walk into local shopping centres. Good restaurants by the lighthouse. Taxi to Maspalomas only 12 euros if needed, comes within 5 minutes. It was a plus being away from the beach and other resorts - just to relax. Great views from the sunset bar on 11th floor - infinity pool amazing and no under 16s. Spa experience and hot stones massage was worth the 90 euros. Chameleon restaurant had to be pre booked but again worth doing. Ten days was about the right time to stay here but overall we had a great time.

Room Tip: free upgrade to superior deluxe when booked with voyage price - best rooms are on 10th and 11th floo...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa for your holidays and writing such a lovely review regarding your stay. We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and we are eagerly waiting to welcoming you again in our hotel.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I just got back from a week-long, half-board stay here and it was fantastic!

I was a bit hesitant to go to the Canary Islands--too many Brits(you know what I mean ;) )/menus with pictures/overrun hotels--def not my idea of R&R and what I was expecting, but I have changed my mind and cannot wait to return, the hotel had everything to do with this.

Pros: Great Staff, amazing pools, fabulous rooftop, serene surroundings, fantastic rooms: great bed (better pillows would be welcome)/modern/clean/spacious/well decorated/huge bathroom, spa, golf, great lunch restaurant. I could find almost no fault, and I hesitate to critique too harshly because it felt like everyone who worked there went out of their way to make our experience unforgettable.

Buyer Beware: This hotel is basically on a mountain-top (not sure what the terrain of the island is classified because I was too busy lounging and appreciating pools to inquire). You should have a car to get around or you are at the mercy of the shuttle, last one leaves to Maspalomas at 6.30PM, cab back is 13 EUR. Note: This never varied with different cabbies. It was always within a few cents of the last fare and we didn't always get picked up in the same place. I read reviews that some guests walked places. There is no where close. Closest business is a convenience grocery store that is 1 km on winding inclined road...no thank you. And it ,eans we aere free to explore area beaches and different towns.

Cons: Pillows weren't great. The dinner buffet was average (go for the grill). Italian/Asian nights were better, but you can change to have a dinner at one of the other restaurants (we ate at the Chamelon one night and it was so good) or you can skip and take the lunch instead (which was great), but means you have to go to town for dinner. Would take a point off for this ordinarily, but we only ate at the dinner buffet 3 times in a week.

Overall: If you aren't their to rage/party and want a romantic and/or relaxed vacation, you need to book this hotel! you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cristina M, Product Manager at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments. I am pleased to know that you have enjoyed every aspect of your stay and look forward to welcoming you back at Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa.

Kind Regards,

Sheraton Salobre Golf Reosrt & Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maspalomas
Bohemia Suites & Spa
#2 of 67 in Puerto Rico
Gold By Marina
Gold By Marina
#1 of 135 in Playa del Ingles

Been to Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort? Share your experiences!