“A modern oasis of confort for golfers”

Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort
Ranked #9 of 217 Hotels in Maspalomas
GreenLeadersGold level
Paris, France
“A modern oasis of confort for golfers”
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Nested in a rocky and desert like area, this hotel is a nice destination for golfers with 2 courses on the site and a few more around that you can play all year round thanks to the Canarian sun. Spacious and confortable rooms, pools, restaurants, bars and a spa make this resort a wonderful place to stay a few miles away from the over exploited Maspalomas.

• Stayed March 2013
Salobre2008, Director of Sales at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Sir,

thank you very much for your nice review. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you soon again.

Best regards

Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I have been to this hotel numerous times over the last eight years.So in December when we sat down to book our annual winter sun break and there was no question in our minds. We could've go much better deals elsewhere, but decided that the extra cost was worth it, as we knew the hotel and the golf courses. BIG MISTAKE!!! I can't describe the feeling of helplessness and disappointment when you arrive at a hotel after a long journey only to be told that due to an administrative error there is no room for you!! (we booked directly with the hotel three months prior).

It seems the hotel had taken it upon themselves to book us into another hotel in Maspolomas. The front desk staff very rudely explained that this was our booking and that we would simply just have to go to this other hotel. On questioning we were told not to worry as this hotel was of the same five star quality as the Sheraton.

Very tired and having spent two hours trying to speak to the manager we agreed to give the other hotel a chance. ANOTHER BIG MISTAKE!! It was appalling the decor looked as if it had not been touched since the seventies, the food was horrid, our room over looked a pub/nightclub which played music all night. Definitely not five star hotel, two at most!!!

It seems that we were not alone in this experience as it turned out a large number of regular guest where receiving the same 'QUALITY' treatment that week. Some were shoved into villas on the resort with mold growing in the bathroom. And others next to building sites.

The whole situation was poorly managed and we were treated as if we were the ones in the wrong. Had we been given more notice by the hotel we could've cancelled our booking. But instead we payed for five star but only received two!! Needless to say this experienced has left us with a very sore taste for the Sheraton Group and certainly will no be returning or booking into any of their hotels again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
21 Thank D G
Salobre2008, Director of Sales at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Sir,

thank you very much for taking time to review our hotel. It is correct that we had a problem with our computer system. Due to this fact we had to move a lot of people to other hotels. We are very sorry about this and would like to apologize for the caused inconveniences. We hope that you will give us an opportunity again and we would be delighted to welcome you in our hotel soon.

kent
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Just back from Gran Canaria have to say went out there with mixed feelings having read some reviews. Dont know why worried about it at all. The hotel is set into the mountain on 11 levels can be a bit difficult to get your bearings for 1st couple of days but after that no problem. The room was a deluxe and had everything that we needed plus a great view out to the golf course. All staff were brilliant and so friendly and helpful could not fault them at all.
Plenty of pools to choose from for swimming and lazing by the only moan here is that apart from the spa pool and the sunset pool the others are not heated so you have to be a brave soul to get in them!! The sunset poo is something else in that the warmth and the view is just amazing and the terraced garden area around it is so diffrent to normal pool areas. The Balanese bedes are quite an attraction for sun worshippers again looking out across the mountains and Atlantic ocean.
As in all buffet food services it is not exceptional, the breakfast is best. We ate in the Cameleon restaurant 8 nights out of our ten and had good food everytime, my hubby has a bell pepper intolerance and the chef took that on board for each meal.
Golf is very good and again the servic eis second to none, we played the south cousre 3 times and the north once, needless to say we preferred the south, you do need a buggy on the north but we also used on on the south as it is quite hard going to carry your bags in the heat.
The beach house is just a small area up a street from the beach but it has a pool and sunloungers if you get fed up with the beach. We only went down there twice and the 2nd time was so windy on the beach that we trotted back to the beach house and lazed by the pool in peace and quiet for 2 hrs---what more could you ask for.!!! All in all a wonderful hotel would go back if the right offer came up again, it is def a moneyed persons hotel but you dont feel uncomfortable there. Yes there are lots of golfers ( inc us ) and yes some of them are snooty ( not us !!! ) but you can get that anywhere wherever you are !! Oh and best bit, no having to sneak out early to bag your sun lounger as there are so many there on all the diffrent levels!!

Room Tip: Book the Camelon at reception as soon as poss for all nights that you want to go as it gets booked v...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank kentmaid
Salobre2008, Director of Sales at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Sir,

thank you very much for your nice review. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. It would be a pleasure to welcome you soon.

Best regards from Sheraton Salobre

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is built on the side of a hill and is constructed of several buildings each with a number of floors. There are 11 floors in all and they are staggered up the hill connected by stairways and elevators which start and stop at different levels as you escalate from the "ground" floor to the 11th floor. The staff are not very good at giving you directions or explaining the construction of the site other than to thrust a map into your hand at check in. Well that is what happened to me. Even the map does not convey the different levels or what is available at each level. You are lucky because I will tell you in this review.

The "ground" (ground is in quotes as you have climbed quite a way up the hill in your car or taxi) level of the hotel contains the ground transportation entrance, entrance to the underground car park, reception (lobby) the spa, the shop, the a la carte restaurant and tapas restaurant and bar.

Up to the next level (mezzanine) is the main (self service) restaurant, hotel bar and other outside seating areas also an area used for corporate entertainment.

The next significant level is number 4 where the pools begin and the lift from the lobby ends. There are two further lifts taking you to near buildings and one at the far end which takes you right to the top at level 11.

Level 7 is where the lunch restaurant is situated and more pools. Level 11 is where the sunset areas are. There is a huge sunbathing area and an over 16's only area containing more sunbathing, an infinity pool and a pool bar serving snacks and drinks throughout the day BUT it has opening and closing times!

I was checked in by Christian who was extremely efficient and informed me that I had been recognised as a Starwood loyalty member and been upgraded to a premier room on the 4th level. I also had VIP access to the alacarte restaurant for breakfast and I chose to have free wifi as a loyalty member gift. I discovered that my iphone actually logged onto wifi with no password therefore it was not a "gift" I requested free points instead.

My room was very nice. A large room with tv an electronic mini bar (Hotel Bloke's rule: if the mini bar is electronic it must be overpriced - don't touch! unless you are super wealthy or on a corporate expense account). Bath robes are in the closet and there is a basin area separated by a curtain as you walk into the room. Separate toilet and every boy's dream a wet room containing a bath with its own shower, an open drench shower and hand shower. Very nice and for me "home from home"so very welcome.

The room leads out onto a large balcony and the sliding doors to the balcony open fully giving an almost open wall from the room to the outside. Very nice! The only disappointment was that the king size bed I ordered was actually two single beds. When I complained to reception they told me that the hotel was full and they could not move me. The next day they made the beds a double but of course there were two mattresses. I note another trip advisor review stated the same problem. I was compensated by being given free access to the spa. Very nice but when I got there it was not that enjoyable.

On our first night we went to the tapas restaurant to eat and very quickly experienced what was to be the huge downfall of this hotel. There was one man serving several tables and he was also the bar man. We had to wait for our order to be taken, wait for our food, wait for drinks, wait for dessert order to be taken, wait for deserts to be served then coffee then the bill. We were anxious to get back to our room having spent far too long in this restaurant and on the third request for the bill we were told quite firmly by the stressed sweating overworked waiter that he was trying his best! Clearly we were not the only diners requesting his attention. A very unpleasant start to our stay.

Breakfast the next day (VIP breakfast!) was just as frustrating as only one surly waitress was serving and she disappeared for long periods. VIP breakfast was actually a very disappointing event and not the special treat it was promised to be by Christian at check in. It did not improve throughout the holiday. The alternative self service restaurant was a complete nightmare so we persevered with the VIP breakfast and my partner disappeared as I ordered the staff around every morning to get what I wanted faster than they wished to serve me. I am sure I was seen as a nuisance in the kitchen but by the last two days when they saw me coming, mine and my partner's breakfast was on the table almost before we sat down! If I managed to train them in a few days, imagine how great the staff would be if they were trained properly in the first place!

Dining in the a la carte restaurant in the evening was equally disappointing, there were too few waiters and it became a long drawn out meal. We saw a whole family walk out and leave their meal and other diners complaining about the food and lack of service. I of course did too. No apology and the service did not improve. This restaurant is very expensive and we did not go back!

We tried the main restaurant for breakfast which was totally self service and was a nightmare. Food was not replenished fast enough and the lack of staff was very evident again as tables were not cleared and guests were frustrated waiting in a line for a table. Plenty of tables available but all full of uncleared rubbish.

There is not enough staff at this hotel. They are all stressed and too busy to say hello as you meet them in the hallways. Reception is always busy as there are not enough staff to service the very busy coming and going of guests. Not what I expect at a Starwoods hotel!

The lunch restaurant on the 7th floor is very good and is the only restaurant run efficiently. The staff here are friendly and this was the best dining experience in the hotel. It opens for lunch then closes. Make sure you are on time!! By the way check that YOU are the guest on holiday because I think some of the staff have forgotten it at this hotel.

The menu in all the restaurants never changes so once you have been there - that's it! The bar on the mezzanine level only opens for a few hours in the evening and was very uninspiring.

The 11th floor sunset area is fantastic. An infinity pool, pool snack bar with drinks. Sunbathing areas around the pool and a huge mountain area containing large double bed sunbathing areas. The ground is unmade so wear your shoes to walk about. Lovely views and very quiet.

The spa on the ground floor is soulless. There is no service around the pool or sunbathing areas. The promised haven you expect when greeted by the very friendly staff is soon diminished by the non existence of luxury. After one day of this I did not return.

There is a frequent bus service to the beach house. Obtain your tickets from reception and make sure you do so early. Once the tickets for the bus have gone so have the seats. When you arrive at the beach house get your return tickets straight away to avoid not getting on the return bus! A one way taxi fare to or from Meloneras is €12. The last bus back to the hotel is around 7pm but check this when you go as it could change.

The beach house is in the courtyard of an apartment block with a swimming pool, changing rooms, showers and toilets. There is a promise of luxury in the air but that is soon diminished by the realisation that this is simply a fancy bus stop and nothing else goes on. There are loads of towels if you want to go to the beach but that's about it. On several occasions there were no staff at all on arrival and on one occasion the place was closed when we arrived to get the last bus back.

When you arrive at the beach house you are at Meloneras beach. Walk across the road and through a walkway in between apartment blocks and you are at the beginning of the Lopesan boulevard. Opposite are the famous Gran Canaria sand dunes. Take care if you walk there with the kids - people sunbathe and walk about in the nude!

Turn right and walk up to the lighthouse (Faro in Spanish) then beyond to find many nice shops and restaurants with the sea on your left. LOVELY! There are the usual street performers and mannequins along your route and some very nice restaurants on the boulevard. The best one we found was an Italian called grand 'italia. We ate there several times and always had a great meal. When we were recognised by the head waiter we decided we had used the restaurant too much. It is exceptionally good.

Another recommendation is to spend some time at a hotel called The Seaside Grand Rezidencia. They have a lovely pool area (you will have to pay to use it) and a fabulous restaurant. We went for dinner on our last night - excellent! If you have any desires to stay it will set you back at least 4 times the cost of the Sheraton.

Finally I went for a bus trip to Las Palmas, really easy and fun if you are into that kind of thing. There is a fast bus (50) which takes about an hour to Las Palmas. I bought a red hop on hop off bus ticket which included the return fare on the bus (€25) and got to see the city when I got there. To just buy the bus ticket is (€13 return).

In Summary, the Sheraton Salobre is a great hotel, perfect if you are a golfer and if you want the tranquility away from the busy seaside town. The price you will pay is excellent value for money compared to other hotels of this class in the area.

The food and beverage management of the hotel needs a serious overhaul as does the lack of staff to service this very busy hotel. The staff need very basic training in customer service, something I was very surprised to see at a Starwoods property. I have no doubt that this will change if we keep up the trip advisor reviews!

• Stayed February 2013
9 Thank HotelBloke
Dear Sir,

thank you very much for your nice review and for recommending us. Good to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your comments regarding F & B. We will forward them to our F & B Manager. We hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Aesthetically pleasing, clean, chic, crisp lines. Good sized rooms, all mod cons, contemporary designs. Set into the hillside approx 10 mins drive from the modern Meloneras resort. Sunset pool and bar a nice touch as are the four poster sun loungers set on the cliff edge overlooking the sea....beautiful.
Food and drink prices are a bit steep. The food part of the half board package was average.
Hotel full of snooty golfers and their "trophy" wives who looked down their noses at us. Yes we are young, yes we have money, no we don't play golf, yes we like a good quality hotel and peace and relaxation, yes we're from Yorkshire....get over it!! I often felt like we had a TV set on our heads.
Nevertheless we really enjoyed our stay and would return if the price was right.
We also saw Claudia Schieffer during our stay there....she is the ambassador for Sheraton, my only real claim to fame!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank poopys-mam
Dear Sir,

first of all we would like to thank you so much for your nice review and thank you very much for recommending us. We are very pleased to hear that you had a nice stay in our hotel.
It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you again.

Best regards from Sheraton Salobre

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed March 21, 2013

It is a nice location in the hills above Maspalomas - definitely a place to unwind and play a round of golf of you care for. Needless to say that the breakfast buffet was excellent. The soutthfacing rooms towards the west may not get much sun, especially in Winter.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Sir,

thank you very much for taking time to write this review. We are very pleased to hear that you spend a great time with us. Hopefully we will welcome you soon.

nr Bromley
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We have just returned from here, we found the staff extremely friendly and helpful. We had a deluxe room which had a great bathroom. Early morning tea and coffee brought to the room by room service at no cost was lovely first thing in the day. The food in the Chameleon restaurant was great, good portions and free if you booked and were half board. The only disappointment was the weather and the hotel could not be held responsible for that. Overall first class and deserves its 5 star rating.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 03patstevens
Salobre2008, Director Comercial at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear sir,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay and liked the hotel, facilities, food and staff. We will pass on compliments to our staff.

Do not hesitate to contact me on your next visit to the island.

Warm regards,

Director of Sales and Marketing
sandra.leibrock@sheraton.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maspalomas
Bohemia Suites & Spa
#2 of 68 in Puerto Rico
Gold By Marina
Gold By Marina
#1 of 134 in Playa del Ingles

Been to Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort? Share your experiences!