“Great building, super setting, not 5 star meals”

Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort
Ranked #11 of 220 Hotels in Maspalomas
GreenLeadersGold level
Southport, United Kingdom
“Great building, super setting, not 5 star meals”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I read lots of the previous reviews before booking this 7 day trip for my wife's 50th bday treat. The hotel is very contemporary and fits snuggly into the hillside and uses materials so cleverly that I think the designer did a great job and I don't like modern architecture. In a nutshell its 5 blocks of apartments linked together cut into a hillside, some overlooking the others, pools dotted about with long range views down to the sea on two sides.

We thought our room on the 10th floor was great, deluxe room (=standard) and apart from 1 day when it was not cleaned until 5pm, the house keeping was faultless. The nice touch of a cup of coffee or tea via room service per person per day was helpful.

Breakfast is definitely the best meal of the day, big buffet spread, with omlettes cooked to order (probable 5 min wait) and pancakes also cooked to order in the shack outside. The fresh orange juice was great. The service from the waiters was chaotic and close to rude - they were clearly understaffed and racing everywhere - which was indeed dangerous for the clients.

Dinner was sometimes OK, other times pretty poor. I would say 60% of the main buffet was constant every night. Now that's great if you want smoked salmon, anchovies and creamy salads every day, but sadly I prefer a bit more variety, especially as quite a number of the items were there at breakfast. The hotplate meals were quite dreadful, but the food cooked out in the shack on the BBQ/griddle were much better. We looked at the set menu in the a la carte but that looked quite uninspiring. The majority of guest at the half term week we were there were German and that may have inspired the food choice served. I would suggest avoiding the asian and italian nights completely and eating downtown Maspolamas and accepting you had to pay for a taxi back. This 5 star hotel has got to stop serving 3 star food!

We enjoyed the location, our accommodation, the pools, the calm atmosphere, some meals and the fact we were left to our own devices. We did not enjoy the dinners or the waiting staff attitude (although some were better than others). We will go elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: 10th or 11th floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank mrgtg1
Salobre2008, Director Comercial at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa. We always look for ways to better our service and your opinion is very important to us.

We are happy to learn that you liked the hotel, facilities, atmosphere and breakfast. We will pass on your comments to our Food & Beverage Director concerning the buffet dinners.

Do not hesitate to contact me for any matter.

Warm regards,

sandra.leibrock@sheraton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Dusseldorf, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We are travelling a lot, but we never experienced such bad service in a 5* hotel.

It seems obvious that the hotel is under-staffed, stressed and busy with their internal processes with no room for caring for their quests.

During breakfast the waiters are busy with running around cleaning and setting up the tables which is creating a hectic atmosphere. Also they seem not be be well trained in how to service and set up the tables as there is always something missing on the table (either cutlery or napkin or salt & pepper etc.). Guests have to queue in most of the buffet areas, which is not creating a relaxed atmosphere.

Queuing is also required at the reception, the escalators and if you want to access to the internet you also have to queue as one of the two PCs with free internet access located in the lobby was out of order. The internet speed was extremely slow.

One day our room was still not cleaned at 04.00 p.m. so that we informed the front desk. An hour later the room was still not ready so that we had to go to the reception and report this once again. There was no excuse, instead the explanation was that the staff did not yet have enough time. At 06.00 p.m. the room was finally available so that we could take a shower.

The breakfast and dinner restaurant Gofio has cantine atmosphere and the food quality is below average of a 5* hotel.

The gym is located in the car park in the cellar with no windows.

There is no staff available in the pool area and there are not enough towels especially in the afternoon,

There is a nicely located Sunset bar at the 11th level, but a bad tempered bar keeper and plastic chairs and tables are destroying the sunset experience.

After an 11 days stay in the hotel it was not possible to arrange a one hour later check-out.

We regret to say that we cannot recommend this hotel as it is not well managed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 187373Abx
Dear sir,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about you experience at the Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa. I am sorry to hear that you stay did not meet your expectations, and I would like to further talk about your days with us. Do not hesitate to contact me.

Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Let me start off by saying that I was a long term resident of Salobre, and lived in a nearby villa for fourteen months and did not stay the night in Sheraton, but visited it dozens and dozens of times. It has the potential to be great but falls short in almost every aspect.

They charge €15/day to use the gym and do not offer any monthly rate for residents of Salobre, and €15/day is very seriously overpriced. They supply water and towels, but for the majority of my stay in Gran Canaria (just over fourteen months), two of the three treadmills didn’t work and half of the bikes were broken. For a very long time, there was nearly no air conditioning to speak of and it was positively miserable in the gym, but seems to be kind of fixed. On occasion, they also played (at full volume) some of the most obnoxiously mellow music I’ve ever heard. If you need to use the toilet, you have to go up two floors to do it, which is very inconvenient. And I would imagine that the staff smoking area is nearby because the gym sometimes reeks of cigarettes.

Once, after my workout, I decided to grab a bite to eat by the pool bar. I ordered and was given the foulest chicken wrap I’ve ever eaten, which was also very seriously overpriced. €15 for soggy vegetables in a crisp tortilla and a mountain of french fries served by a disgruntled employee who was far more interested in chatting with her coworker is outrageous. And be prepared to pay €5 for a coke lite! I was also told that if I wanted to have a margarita with lunch, I would have to walk to another bar on another floor to get it.

My husband and I walked to the hotel to have a few cocktails one Saturday evening. We went to the bar on the first floor and everything was closed up, so we went down to the front desk to see if any of the others bars were open. We were told that there was a football game on, and that the staff had closed up early to watch it. We were told there were no other bars open, but we could order room service. Which would have been great… if we were staying at the hotel. And I can only imagine what the service charge would have been for that!

Unless you are here specifically for the golf, I would suggest that you spend your money elsewhere. And even if you are here for the golf, I’d suggest you rent out one of the luxury villas instead. Anything you manage to cook will be far superior to what this Sheraton offers.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank JustJo26
Salobre2008, Director Comercial at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Jocelyn,

Thank you for taking the time to write your opinion about the gym and pool restaurant. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our facilities. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any matter.

Warm regards,

Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Unfortunately this hotel has changed to the worse. The wounderful ambiance that was present before is gone with the wind and was no where to be found. Very quickly Salobre has deteriorated from a hidden gem to a mediocre "decent place to stay". Worn out building, extremely stressed staff, very noisy, sloppy cleaning and prices in the automatic minibar that are comparable with usury. It sad to see something so breathtaking beautiful turn into something so common.
As a member of Sheraton you are supposed to have complimentary water in the room and that never happened. I could have asked for it but since the beverage service is automatic in the room I thought may this would be to but no. €3.80 for a can of soda water was my option.
My love story with this, once so beautiful gem, has turned into a divorce and its time for me to find a new love.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank JTG74
Salobre2008, Director Comercial at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear sir,

I would like to thank you for writing about your stay at the Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as expected. Please do not hesitate to contact me to further talk about your stay.

Cavan, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in February. Nice room and friendly staff, but my stay was spoiled by small irritations, TV didn't work when I checked in, hole in bath towel, shampoo and supplies not replaced each day, no plug for bath, all small niggles individually but adding up to a lack of attention to detail. Internet access in room was expensive at €16/day. We also ate in the hotel one night. The meal was served cold! This hotel has everything except character! I wouldn't hurry back.

Room Tip: All rooms have a decent view, higher the better
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Salobre2008, Director Comercial at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Niall,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa. We are sorry to hear that your experience was not as expected. We will pass on your comments to our General Manager.

Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights, and really liked it. It is a great hotel with friendly staff and good services. I am an SPG Platinum and was given an upgrade to a suite, but sadly had to decline it as I was travelling with a relative and we needed a room with 2 beds (all suites have King beds). The staff changed us to a new room in an efficient way with no fuss. The food at breakfast was really good and we also enjoyed the meals in restaurants and room service that we had in the evening. There are so many pool areas that we could always get a sun lounger, and I would particularly recommend the infinity pool on the 11th floor, which had some very attractive furniture and features and a beautiful view in all directions.

The hotel was tranquil and peaceful, and we had a very relaxing time. You do really need a car to get there and around, but it is within easy reach of lots of different types of things to do according to your interests. There is a free shuttle bus to the Sheraton beach house which is situated by a nice beach with restaurants and shops nearby.

For the rate we paid, this hotel was excellent value for money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear sir,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa. It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay and like the hotel bars and restaurants, your room and the pools. We pride on caring for our guests, and your review tells us that we are on the right path.

Please do not hesitate to contact me on your next visit to Gran Canaria.

Sunny regards,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

As Platinum SPGs we've stayed at this property many times now, most recent Jan 2013.

Would just like to warn other travellers that Internet access, either via WiFi or the 2 computers provided in the lobby, is not always guaranteed at this Sheraton (I thought Sheraton was business focused also?). Frequent outages seem to occur, somethings part of the day, sometimes all of the day and on 1 trip extended to a total 3 days without Hotel provided internet.

This can be very frustrating when needing to do work, etc and the Front Office don't seem to have the ability to sort it out 'we do not provide the service, it's someone else' kind of thing. The hotel is also remotely located in the hills above Maspalomas, so picking up another wi-fi or an internet cafe is not an option. Be prepared with your own alternatives.

Also, we'd echo some comments from a couple of recent posters - food is very samey, if staying for an extended period you'll come across the same food everyday (in SPG breakfast room, ladies who work there lovely however), and be sure to check your bill throughly, items do tend to appear on it that are not yours. Service Centre calls sometimes just ring out, never answered. Room Service was working well this time with every call answered, on other stays we had the same problem.

On the positives it is a large property with many different pools, there are a lot of different areas to relax in, the heated pool in the Spa being a highlight. Again, great staff manning this area. We like the hotel provided shuttle down the hill to the Beach, very handy.

Recommended property, but the hotel needs to fix the Internet as a priority.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MonstyTab
Salobre2008, Director Comercial at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at our hotel and for choosing again and again our hotel to spend your vacation in Gran Canaria.

Regarding the internet, we are working on updating our systems and we are confident that the issue will be fixed soon. Nevertheless, we will pass on your comments to our General Manager along with your comment about the food and bill accuracy.

Do not hesitate to contact me on your next visit to Gran Canaria for any matter. Warm regards,
sandra.leibrock@sheraton.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maspalomas
Bohemia Suites & Spa
Gold By Marina
Gold By Marina
#1 of 135 in Playa del Ingles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,398 reviews

Been to Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort? Share your experiences!