“Smart Hotel a Little Lacking in Ambience”

Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort
Ranked #11 of 220 Hotels in Maspalomas
GreenLeadersGold level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Smart Hotel a Little Lacking in Ambience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

We stayed at the Sheraton in August as a group of 4 (2 couples in our mid 30s). We were there for a week and had a great time. I would say the hotel is 5 star and is very nicely designed. It has quite an "open air" layout in the public areas which is great for the local climate but the rooms retain a cosy, high-end hotel feel.
It does take a day or two to find your way around as the hotel is built over several levels (I would have liked a more explanation of this when we checked in) but it's not a problem and there are lifts if you cannot make the stairs. There are about 5 pools with 3 of them being quite small which I preferred although as we stayed during school holidays they could get quite busy with kids and their toys. That said, there is a large pool on the top level which is adults only. This was probably my least favourite area however as it just lacked a little in atmosphere. The "sunset" bar is also on the top level but we didn't use it much as service there, while friendly, was very slow during the day. We did enjoy some sangrai up there one evening though!
We stayed all inclusive and I have to say that the food in the main restaurant (Gofio) was wonderful. Yes it is buffet but the selection is huge and the vast majority was very good. You can also if you wish take your "allowance" and eat in one of the a la carte restaurants which we did a couple of times and again, the food was wonderful.
The staff were great, on the whole very friendly and all very attentive and polite. Damian (?) served us several times in both restaurants and was great fun.
We had a spa day included in our package and would recommend a visit. Again it had a lovely pool, saunas, steam room and hot tub. Our friends had a massage which they enjoyed although I believe it was quite firm!
I really liked this hotel and would happily go back. What would have made it 5 out of 5 for me would have been just a little more atmosphere in the bar areas - they have a beautiful main bar on the lower ground floor but it is very quiet. I also felt sorry for the barman here as he was on his own making cocktails - never easy!
Definately a hotel for relaxing in and would recommend!

Room Tip: We stayed on a level just above Gofio restaurant (5 I think!) which was great and near the pools. We...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Holiday1_10
Salobre2008, Director Comercial at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Dear sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us! We are very glad you enjoyed a relaxing vacation with your couple and your friends.

It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed the room, pools and the Gofio restaurant. We have recently changed the menu, and if I may say so, it is even tastier! Even we are introducing a new show cooking. We hope to see you back with us to experience all the changes.

Do not hesitate to contact me,

Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

A beautiful hotel in a wonderful landscape, built harmoniously on the side of a mountain respecting the landscape and offering breathtaking views. The architect really did a good job and created a wonderful building in the perfect scenery.

It is very easy to access by car with a direct exit from the highway.

My impression though is that the way this hotel is run doesn't measure up to the impressive settings.
Our room lacked a lot of maintenance. The bathroom and WC doors were broken and wouldn't close, the window got stuck and we couldn't open it to use our terrace. Many other things were broken (the tap, the shower flexible, etc) that didn't make the use of the room very convenient. There were a number of smashed mosquitoes on the walls that didn't give an impression of cleanliness. The towels were a shame, they looked like old rags with many threads hanging, it is really not acceptable for a Sheraton, in a golf resort...
I called housekeeping to get sleepers (we had bath robes in the room but no sleepers), but they brought only one pair of sleepers for 2 people... There was no tea/coffee facility in the room, just a sign explaining you can call to get 1 free cup of freshly brewed coffee per day, I called and they brought me hot water with Nescafe... The mini bar is automatic, it works with a system of drawers so you cannot use it to cool a bottle of water or champagne.

Breakfast was excellent with everything one would need. The hotel has a lot of lovely terraces with wonderful views, but unfortunately the terrace used for breakfast faces a wall and has no view at all. The Spa was beautiful but was lacking some nice features like candles or aromatherapy scents (it only smells like chlorine).

We were very disappointed about the beach house. We thought it would be on the beach with some sunbeds and umbrellas. But in fact it is just a casual house on Avenida del Oasis, very close to the beach but not in the first line. They provided very small towels so it is better to bring your own beach towels. You may think about going to the beach house if you need transportation to Maspalomas (we didn't try it as we rented a car), or if you need to change clothes or to use the bathroom there, otherwise forget it !

In conclusion, I would recommend this hotel for its amazing scenery and friendly staff, but we felt the way it is managed was greedy and not so judicious.

3 Thank Quiquine
Salobre2008, Director of Sales at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Dear madam,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. Our guests’ opinion is very important to us and we constantly look for ways to improve our service.

We are very glad you liked the hotel’s architecture and location; it is a very peaceful environment, as well as the breakfast buffet at our Gofio restaurant.

Regarding your comments about the room, we are happy to inform you that we have received new linen and towels, so everything has been replaced. Also our maintenance team is always on call. About the minibar, as you said it is automatic and cannot be used to cool external items, but contacting our reception a mini fridge can be arranged.

Our beach house it is located 100 meters away from the beach. Unfortunately, as per Spanish law, it is forbidden to have private sunbeds and umbrellas at the actual beach. We will pass on your comments to our management.

We look forward welcoming you again.

Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

Just back from 10 day break 5th - 15th October. We loved it, hotel in a good location overlooking a golf course in a private estate and very quiet. Hotel was never corwded. We had a huge choice of sunbeds and rest areas spread over a huge sprawling area. The place is kept very clean and is well presented.

Food.
Very good standard breakfeast and dinner with a variety of freashly cooked food and pre-prepared salad etc. all freash. The a-la-carte restaurant food was a bit pretentious and not to our taste but the Tapas was superb especially the lamb sweetbreads ! and the buffet was excellent every night with no repeat food like many all inclusive so called five star hotels.
The only bad point and something which should be addressed is the food was not hot enough. How many people on here have to mention it before something is done !!!

Rooms.
good size huge bed good shower and very quiet with a nice golf course view. Only bad points are, no English TV stations, and I mean no BBC. Not on holiday to watch the TV but Bloomberg and CNN the only English speaking channels. Had to watch the F1 in Spanish !!! and not enough hangers...........

The staff were all professional and very friendly. The hotel is quite laid back and we felt very relaxed and safe at all times. There is a mix of mainly Spanish and German with perhaps 10%-20% British. This worked very well as the behavioral standard of the guests was high. Huge bonus for us was the lack of children not running around everywhere and annoying everyone.

Moans. Drinks are pricey. 5€ for a coke is just too much. If 2 adults have just four drinks per day (and you need more than that) for a ten day break this adds 400€ on you bill just for some soft drinks. We got round this.

The hotel is very gloomy at night with many blown light bulbs in the corridors and lift areas and with so many steps and levels this is potentially dangerous.

I have never been to a hotel where everything is perfect so the bad points are minor moans really and our stay there was memorable for all the right reasons. We thoroughly recommend a stay her. We will certainly return, no question.

Room Tip: Ask at reception what you want and they will sort you out if they can
2 Thank eeeeena
Dear sir,

Thank you for your review. It is a pleasure to know you enjoyed your vacation with us, and loved the spacious rooms, the views, the sun beds, food and atmosphere of the hotel.

About your comment, the number of hangers in each room is that by standard, but you can always ask for more! We are more than happy to help you make your stay a better one.

About the food, we have currently improved our buffets in the Gofio restaurant, and it is a pleasure to know you enjoyed the selection each time.

We will pass on the rest of your comments, so that we can continue improving our service.

Thank you very much, and please do not hesitate to contact me on your next trip to Gran Canaria.

California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

My Husband & I were guests at the SSGR 9/29-10/5/11. We absolutely adored our spacious room and patio. The shower with the glass window was super modern and sexy. Upon check-in a bottle of champagne was waiting at the reception area for all guests-1st good sign of the luxury that we continued to feel for 6 days. The entire staff were very friendly, happy and genuinely pleased to be there and assisting guests. Huge compliments to Sedalia, server in the Golfo restaurant. Sedalia is a native of Gran Canaria and made us feel like welcomed, old friends at the Salobre--excellent employee. The shuttle bus driver and the dude who works at the beach house where the only 2 employees we encountered that did not seem to like their jobs or the guests-ha! The SSGR is gorgeous. Plan on staying on the grounds a lot, because getting into Maspalomas Beach area is not a quick and easy task. So if you need anything special--go early during your stay and buy what you need in Maspalomas, because the SSGR gift shop carries a limited selection of any medicines, snacks or comfort aids (this by the way should change). Ok--the Food. We loved the nightly buffet, expensive but tasty, beautifully prepared and fun to experience. Room service is also good and moderately priced for the pricey F & B fees the Hotel charges. Here is the downside--LUNCH at the resort. You are extremely limited for lunch time options. The Food at the 7th floor pool-La Palmeria--is awful. We tried eating there 2 times and were so disappointed with the tastes that we could not return. The Salobre burger they serve is not a burger--I honestly don't know what the meat substance is in the burger--but it does not taste the way a 14E burger should taste. The food at the 11th floor pool is limited to the Spanish style flat-bread sandwich--which is bland, boring and leaves you unsatisfied. You are better off drinking your lunch at the Salobre and waiting for dinner to open at 7pm. The Aloe Spa is divine and uber relaxing. The overall Hotel is awesome. We were really able to experience a Zen vibe and did not feel encroached by families with children or outnumbered by partying young people. My only wish is that this exact hotel could be found in the US or Mexico--so we do not have to fly so far. The SSGR is definitely worth experiencing if you want to relax and be pampered in luxury. Give it a try!

Room Tip: The bed pillows are super small and soft. We did not like them. You may need to use the decor pill...
1 Thank Hilary P
Dear madam,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your vacation with us at the Sheraton Salobre.

It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay and had a relaxing time, that you loved the room with a view to the golf courses and you felt the “Zen vibe” in the hotel. We agree, the Spa is perfect for relaxing.

Regarding your comments about the food, it is great to hear you enjoyed the dinner buffet at the Gofio Restaurant. We have recently improved the concept and it is a pleasure to see our guests enjoy the variety and the quality of food. We are currently working on an outside show cooking at the same restaurant, so on your next visit get ready to enjoy even further!

About your comment on the lunch options, we are also working on changing the menu for the Palmera restaurant for this winter season.

We will pass on the comments to all of our staff and we hope to see you soon back with us. Do not hesitate to contact me on your next visit to Gran Canaria.

Huddersfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

The building has been constructed so as to be as much a part of the rocky hillside as possible and it blends in so well with it.I would love to have seen it being constructed; I can't even begin to estimate its cost.
Our room was on the eleventh (the top) floor, and had superb views of the surrounding countryside and down to Maspalomas. To get to it from reception required the use of three lifts (0-1, 1-5 and 5-11) and some walking as well; we quite enjoyed the journey.
We had a free bottle of cava just after arriving, and a number of other enexpected presents during our stay; quite delightful.
The enclosed top of the hillside is well laid our.giving 360 degree views of the locality, There is plenty of space in the area, which has a pleasant cafe/bar and an infinity pool, and you can always find a tranquil spot far from others.
The food was varied and of good quality, but like other 3-hour buffets, they find it difficult to keep the plates and the food hot. .I mentioned this to the manager at the little weekly party for new guests. He was very sympathetic and told me that consultants were shorly coming in to find a way of dealing with the above-mentioned problem.
There is a 19-seater free shuttle bus, which takes you very close to the beach down at Maspalomas. There the "madding crowds" abound, and we were pleased to return to the relative tranquility of the Salobre.
The staff were very welcoming and helpful, particularly when my wife was rushed into the San Roque Hospital in the town. My daughter booked me into a hotel close to the hospital on her computer and sent the confirmation to the Salobre by e-mail. The manager himself sought me out and told me that the e-mail had been sent to my room. A few days later, when I had moved hotels, he phoned up the hospital to enquire about my wife, who was there for two weeks with acute pneumonia, and sent her a lovely basket of fresh fruit. We were both very touched by this.
(My wife is now safely home recuperating).
Altogether, we were happy with the hotel and have some lovely memories of it. Many of the wealthier Gran Canarians come here for the weekend, and from 9.30 p.m. on a Friday night, the retaurant is buzzing with very smartly dressed ladies, enjoying the food and drink and each other's company; we found it absolutely fascinating.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TerryStephens
Salobre2008, Director of Sales at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Dear Terence,

I would like to thank you for thanking the time to write about your experience with us, at the Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the architecture and interior design of the hotel so much.

It is also wonderful news to know that your wife is fine, and everything turn out ok. What an adventure!

We hope to see you soon back on the island, to enjoy a relaxing vacation, this time with no surprises.

Until then, warm regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

We returned to this hotel after a good stay last summer. It is very different to the other hotels in Maspalomas and is set amongst stunning mountains and an impressive golf course, a few minutes drive from Meloneras. Given the tranquil and beautiful setting, the hotel is perfect for couples wanting a relaxing getaway or golfers, obviously.
There have been some noticeable improvements since our last stay, although it was very good last year overall.
The Aloe Spa is a wonderfully relaxing environment offering amazing views and great facilities. My partner and I had a two-by-two massage; Daniel and Alexandra were excellent; in fact we said afterwards that it was the best massage either of us had ever had. All of the team were very welcoming, friendly and professional, especially Lea in the spa and the constantly smiling breakfast waiter in Gofio (I didn't get his name).
Our room was wonderful and the special touches we received made our stay all the more memorable.
The food has improved somewhat, although my only niggle would be that the hot breakfast items were invariably cold. Room service offers good value for money; the menu in the Restaurant Chameleon has some unusual and classic dishes and the food is very good there.
The pool areas are always spotless and well maintained and our room was kept spotlessly clean throughout our week-long stay.
Thank you to the staff and especially Sandra for another
wonderful stay. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank mattmdrew
Dear sir,

Thank you very much for your review! It is a pleasure to hear about such great experiences and makes us very proud.

It is great to know this was your second visit, and you continued enjoy our Spa, restaurants, and relaxed and romantic atmosphere.

We will pass on your comments to all the staff. Do not hesitate to contact me on your next visit to Gran Canaria, that I hope will be soon,

Sunny regards,

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

Having just returned from a week at the Salobre golf. We found the hotel very luxurious, lovely views, the room was amazing and all the pools were fabulous. Being a vegetarian I was disappointed that the a la carte restaurant did not have a vegetarian option. The food at the sunset bar was bad being such a lovely Hotel and the location of the cafe I think the food here could be really healthy and nutritious like a salad bar with filled wraps. Overall we had an amazing week such a special place!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Hazelchocolate
Salobre2008, Director of Sales at Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
Dear sir,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review about your stay.

We are delighted to know that your stay was fabulous, and you found the hotel lovely.

Regarding your comment about the vegetarian option at our a la carte restaurant, we would have been more than happy to offer you any dish, even if not on the menu, so that you enjoy a lovely meal.

It is with great pleasure also, that I can inform you that at the end of October we will inaugurate our new menu for this restaurant, with vegetarian options, as well as choices for guests with food allergies of any kind.

We hope to see you again to “taste” the changes,

Best regards,

Sheraton Salobre Golf Resort & Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maspalomas
Bohemia Suites & Spa
Gold By Marina
Gold By Marina
#1 of 135 in Playa del Ingles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,397 reviews

Been to Sheraton Gran Canaria Salobre Golf Resort? Share your experiences!