“Gone down a little since my last visit.”
Review of Villas Blancas

Villas Blancas
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Just returned from a stay at Villas Blancas.
First and foremost Villas Blancas if part of the Mareu Hotels Group. As such, it lacks the personal, privately owned and managed personal touches. As part of a chain it has a bit of a factory feel to it specifically where the bungalows are concerned.

Booking/Welcome
The booking was easily completed online and they will arrange your transfer to and from the airport if required. I cannot rate Lazlo and Ofelia highly enough. They are both excellent at what they do, professional, helpful and most charming.

Location.
Villas Blancas is located in the Campo De Golf area of Maspalomas. It's about a 4 euro taxi ride to the Yumbo Centre and the main nightlife in the area. The bungalows are located next door to the Maspalomas Tennis Club and Gym. The sound of tennis balls being whacked over nets all day is not that bad, however they have a spinning class in the gym each day at 09:00 and 19:00 and sometimes the music is just to loud to either have a lie in or have an afternoon siesta. Ask for a bungalow on the other side of the complex, away from the gym.

Bungalows.
The bungalows are basic and very much at the 'chain' end on the accommodation scale. Certainly nothing special. One point that is important to note is that the bungalows, no matter how basic are SPOTLESS !! The cleaners are excellent. I stayed there during the Calima, which blows sand in from Africa. It never gets a chance to settle at Villas Blancas the cleaners are on it like a fly on a jam pot. The rooms do have a radio/cd player and television. However, the only English channel is BBC World. Just which British people watch that channel I have no idea. A pity they got rid of Sky News at least that's informative. Another result of the 'chain' approach to accommodation.

Grounds
The grounds and gardens of Villas Blancas have to be the main selling point. They are immaculate. The gardener works on them tirelessly. The cleaners clean the sun beds each and every morning. The pools and the jacuzzi are well maintained, clean and warm.

Bar/Restaurant
They have just relaunched the Bar/Restaurant area after a refurbishment. It looks very nice, is clean and very modern. However, the service is just dreadful. The staff have serious problems with their customer service skills. In the time I was there I don't think I saw them smile once. During lunch they can only manage one thing at a time and almost shout at you to sit down whilst they finish off what they are doing. Then you will get your meal, but not your drink. Eventually I decided not to eat there again, or even buy a drink. I'd rather spend my money somewhere where it's appreciated, taken with a smile and somewhere I feel welcomed. There are many other places to eat in Playa Del Ingles or Maspalomas.

In summary on the whole I enjoyed my stay, but that was mainly down to the other guests I met. There really isn't anything that special about the place to make me want to hurry back.

Room Tip: Ask for a bungalow away from neighbouring gym/tennis centre.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Yorkshire1967

Reviewed July 12, 2012

We spent 1 week in villas blancas, was totally clean, the cleaners are friendly, respectfull and kinds, there are 2 nice swimming pools and a jaguzzi, the villas are 10 mins drive from yumbo centre, the taxi driving you there for around less than £4, the reciption is beautifull and cosy, the staffs are friendly, the restaurant manager MICHAEL is really kind and friendly with all residents. i will stay there again soon

Room Tip: all the rooms are clean and in a very good conditions
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Hawry
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Another fabulous stay at Villas Blancas. It's like going home. Clean, well presented with a good mixed crowd. First time in June and didn't see a cloud all week. Some really nice food served in the bistro - nothing out of this world but very very good value for money. A superb week and would highly recommend this as the best gay resort on the island.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Stpirans1
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Villas Blancas consists of numerous bungalows for 1 to 6 people, 2 swimming pools (warm and cold) an enormous Jacuzzi and a very good Restaurant/Bar.

It is a men only complex where clothing is optional, the other customers we encountered were very friendly and open minded. Age doesn't matter, and I didn't see any discrimination between age or origin.

The staff are very friendly and help to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The restaurant bar is situated next to the warm swimming pool and is open from 9am till 10pm, but the bar remains open until midnight. They are a little more expensive than what you might expect from other places in the Yumbo or surrounding areas, but the food is excellent and so is the service.

There are 2 types of bumgalows available. A single bedroom bungalow with kitchen/living area and small outer terrace, or a large 3 bedroom bungalow capable of accommodating 6 people, a kitchen/dining area with breakfast bar and dining table and a living room area with TV. The outer terrace is much larger.

We stayed in the larger bungalow which also included air conditioning, a bathroom with double sink, bath and separate shower, even a bidet! The kitchen had a 4-ring induction hob with oven. I know the bungalows in this part of villas blancas are a new addition (taken over from the previous owners), which is probably the reason why the larger bungalows seem as though they are ready for refurnishing, but don't get me wrong, they are still very good.
They are very clean, and not once did we find a cockroach (which are quite common in Gran Canaria). I forgot to mention, that the beds are also comfortable.

We have been to Gran Canaria six times, and Villas blancas is the best place we've stayed. We weren't planning to visit next year, but because of Villas blancas, it's peaceful environment, the great service and the other guests we met, we are already planning our next stay.

Note: if you are looking to have noisy parties by the swimming pool every day, this is probably not the place for you.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank mpmackin
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Just returned from my third visit to VB this year I am pleased to say that all former problems have been addressed by manager John and things are back to their usual very high standards.The Bistro is re instating there evening Specials in 2 weeks time and a notice has been posted at the Bar stating that Bathroom refurbishments will be starting in June/July.
May I congratulate John and his excellent team for listening to peoples concerns and acting upon them swiftly.
Villas Blancas is a superb place to stay for Gay men of all ages and nationalities and all are made very welcome.The friendly camaraderie of guests and staff around the bar and pool area is second to non.On the strength of all this I have now booked for Xmas and New Year.
Craig Proctor and Peter Burdin

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank palethorpe
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I've been a regular visitor to VB for years and I've never been disappointed. On my recent visit, I found the staff to be polite helpful and friendly as always. The grounds remain immaculate and the bungalows are clean. The cleaning staff have a fabulous sense of humour - all the of them are lovely!
However, I think it would be true to say that the Bistro has lost some of its former atmosphere but the management appear to be listening to the customers and improvements have been promised.
I think that to move from 'very good' to excellent the:
The bathrooms should be urgently refurbished (promised from June onwards)
The hand towels / towels in the rooms should be replaced
The Bistro should remain open every night (strangely for a holiday complex, it closes on one night per week)
The laminated menu should be discontinued and more emphasis placed on the wider menu which is by good.

But I really enjoyed my stay and I'd recommend VB to others. Thanks to Laszlo, Sergio, Lieber, Hose, Jesus and Jon for making my holiday so good.

Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank Wetfella8062
Reviewed April 12, 2012

First stay- would I go back? Yes! That indicates it was clean, comfortable, safe and relaxing.
Bungalows could do with some refurbishment and redecoration but they are very clean, comfortable and reasonably spacious. Beds could be more stable and comfortable but a few Yumbo cocktails soon makes turning in much easier and this is a fairly minor pick.
Location is quiet so it's very peaceful and relaxing but equally a good 30 mins walk to the beach or the same at least for the nightlife of Playa del Ingles. If I could plonk VB where Beach Boys is located it would be ideal or better still, right next door to the Riu palace hotel. Fab accommodation but out of the way location.
Staff are friendly, efficient, polite and facilities such as the jacuzzi, pools etc are all clean and well maintained. I would estimate that most guests during my stay were at least 40+ and there seemed to be a large number of French staying. Everyone was polite but not overly friendly. I think most just weren't our scene really or perhaps a little too 'sceney' for our tastes. Shaved head, tattoos or displaying perhaps a little too much of the good life and middle age spread were the norm but this was low season and not at all the usual guests apparently as friends who have stayed before told me.
Can't comment on the bistro as many have previously since I prefer to get out of my accommodation usually and eat elsewhere just so I don't feel like I'm in an episode of Benidorm.

• Stayed: March 2012