“A perfect place for a relaxing holiday, but close enough to party”
Review of Villas Blancas

Villas Blancas
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Villas Blancas consists of numerous bungalows for 1 to 6 people, 2 swimming pools (warm and cold) an enormous Jacuzzi and a very good Restaurant/Bar.

It is a men only complex where clothing is optional, the other customers we encountered were very friendly and open minded. Age doesn't matter, and I didn't see any discrimination between age or origin.

The staff are very friendly and help to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The restaurant bar is situated next to the warm swimming pool and is open from 9am till 10pm, but the bar remains open until midnight. They are a little more expensive than what you might expect from other places in the Yumbo or surrounding areas, but the food is excellent and so is the service.

There are 2 types of bumgalows available. A single bedroom bungalow with kitchen/living area and small outer terrace, or a large 3 bedroom bungalow capable of accommodating 6 people, a kitchen/dining area with breakfast bar and dining table and a living room area with TV. The outer terrace is much larger.

We stayed in the larger bungalow which also included air conditioning, a bathroom with double sink, bath and separate shower, even a bidet! The kitchen had a 4-ring induction hob with oven. I know the bungalows in this part of villas blancas are a new addition (taken over from the previous owners), which is probably the reason why the larger bungalows seem as though they are ready for refurnishing, but don't get me wrong, they are still very good.
They are very clean, and not once did we find a cockroach (which are quite common in Gran Canaria). I forgot to mention, that the beds are also comfortable.

We have been to Gran Canaria six times, and Villas blancas is the best place we've stayed. We weren't planning to visit next year, but because of Villas blancas, it's peaceful environment, the great service and the other guests we met, we are already planning our next stay.

Note: if you are looking to have noisy parties by the swimming pool every day, this is probably not the place for you.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank mpmackin

Reviewed April 20, 2012

Just returned from my third visit to VB this year I am pleased to say that all former problems have been addressed by manager John and things are back to their usual very high standards.The Bistro is re instating there evening Specials in 2 weeks time and a notice has been posted at the Bar stating that Bathroom refurbishments will be starting in June/July.
May I congratulate John and his excellent team for listening to peoples concerns and acting upon them swiftly.
Villas Blancas is a superb place to stay for Gay men of all ages and nationalities and all are made very welcome.The friendly camaraderie of guests and staff around the bar and pool area is second to non.On the strength of all this I have now booked for Xmas and New Year.
Craig Proctor and Peter Burdin

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank palethorpe
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I've been a regular visitor to VB for years and I've never been disappointed. On my recent visit, I found the staff to be polite helpful and friendly as always. The grounds remain immaculate and the bungalows are clean. The cleaning staff have a fabulous sense of humour - all the of them are lovely!
However, I think it would be true to say that the Bistro has lost some of its former atmosphere but the management appear to be listening to the customers and improvements have been promised.
I think that to move from 'very good' to excellent the:
The bathrooms should be urgently refurbished (promised from June onwards)
The hand towels / towels in the rooms should be replaced
The Bistro should remain open every night (strangely for a holiday complex, it closes on one night per week)
The laminated menu should be discontinued and more emphasis placed on the wider menu which is by good.

But I really enjoyed my stay and I'd recommend VB to others. Thanks to Laszlo, Sergio, Lieber, Hose, Jesus and Jon for making my holiday so good.

Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank Wetfella8062
Reviewed April 12, 2012

First stay- would I go back? Yes! That indicates it was clean, comfortable, safe and relaxing.
Bungalows could do with some refurbishment and redecoration but they are very clean, comfortable and reasonably spacious. Beds could be more stable and comfortable but a few Yumbo cocktails soon makes turning in much easier and this is a fairly minor pick.
Location is quiet so it's very peaceful and relaxing but equally a good 30 mins walk to the beach or the same at least for the nightlife of Playa del Ingles. If I could plonk VB where Beach Boys is located it would be ideal or better still, right next door to the Riu palace hotel. Fab accommodation but out of the way location.
Staff are friendly, efficient, polite and facilities such as the jacuzzi, pools etc are all clean and well maintained. I would estimate that most guests during my stay were at least 40+ and there seemed to be a large number of French staying. Everyone was polite but not overly friendly. I think most just weren't our scene really or perhaps a little too 'sceney' for our tastes. Shaved head, tattoos or displaying perhaps a little too much of the good life and middle age spread were the norm but this was low season and not at all the usual guests apparently as friends who have stayed before told me.
Can't comment on the bistro as many have previously since I prefer to get out of my accommodation usually and eat elsewhere just so I don't feel like I'm in an episode of Benidorm.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank TimmyFK
Reviewed April 10, 2012

my first time to gran canaria and VB, lovely warm welcome staff were very friendly, walked us to our bungalow in the top part of the complex, really suprised with the size and quality of our villa bungalow. short hop skip and a jump and theres the pool. lots of sun beds. bar and main pool busier, bar staff were excellent. i have read comments about the staff being unhelpful and miserable. well talk to them they're fantastic and a great laugh. we met some great guys and went from the 3 of us to going out in a group of 10 some nights. the day time food is basic if you look at the laminated menu yes, well walk to the bar and grab the other one its much larger selection. the cleaning staff are excellent but did take the mikey out of me most mornings in my hungover state, but most guests enjoyed seeing what state we would be in from the night before. seriously a great place to stay, mix mingle and talk to people. thats my advise. Vidas Jesus Sergio and the rest of the team are brilliant. 10/10 my only downside is yes the evenings in the bar are a little quiet. but the nights we stayed in we livened it up some.

Room Tip: VB 2 villa bungalows deffinately.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank airmaxbv
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Love this wonderful boutique complex and have been coming here for years. It is the sort of place that I would desperately miss if it were not there.

The accommodation is faultless - scrupulously clean and well appointed. The grounds are an absolute joy to behold. Lovingly tended by dedicated & long-serving staff.

The bistro is great for lunch, drinks, or an OK dinner. For those who seek a Michelin food experience you would do well at Samsara in Maspalomas - the food and whole experience is just superb.

I have always found that the place is what you make it. Make friends around the pool, arrange to meet for drinks, support the bar/bistro and it will be there for future visits. Avoid it and one day it will not be there for us touristas! VB as just a dormitory doesn't bear thinking about! I for one am pleased that Maartijn and his crew have departed the scene.
Hopefully they will eventually be replaced with some charisma and staff who are more customer service oriented.

It's always a pleasure to be welcomed by Laszlo, Ofelia (with the New York? accent), John, and Sergio. Nothing is too much trouble for these hospitality professionals.

So, all in all a wonderful, relaxing holiday.

Don't think twice - VB always delivers a delightful and restful experience!

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank OrchardOX
Reviewed April 7, 2012

As ever an excellent place to stay. They have made a lot of investment in facilities around the pool area and super sized jacuzzi and the staff are always super friendly. We stay every year! Unfortunately, we were dismayed this year to see that they have destroyed the bistro. Rather than daily menus and good old home cooking they have reduced the menu to laminated bar snacks. Even something as simple as a burger was rendered inedible. While last year we spent 950 euros at the bar/bistro in a week, this year we never hit 450 euros. The evenings were just dead around the pool. We urge the owners to reconsider and once again make the bistro the enjoyable place it once was!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple