Visited Villas Blancas in July. The place is outstanding value for the price and the staff (Sergio, so cute) and Ophelia (so helpful and warm) make it a great place to stay. The owner/manager is always on hand and oversees all the details which makes it great. I a wanted to play tennis and was lucky enough to have the club right next door. Can
walk to Yumbo or the beach, but easier to catch a taxi which are around and very cheap.
I'm writing this next section as a North American traveler and about Gran Canaria: As a solo traveler, the destination didn't work for me. Its a destination for Northern Europeans who want a cheap package tour with guaranteed sun and lots of alcohol. It's condo-land and kind of manufactured and unappealing in my opinion. My Brit friends say "It's a place where people from Essex like to go" (sorry Essexers). The food is terrible - I didn't find one good restaurant the whole time I was there. As a single guy, it was not easy to meet others at Villas Blancas or other places because the area is full of couples or groups jammed into their condo or hotel room and no one wants to speak any other language but their own (particularly the snobs from France).
Yumbo is tired and sad. Not sure why people go there. The bars are super sleazy with stuff going on that I haven't seen since the 80's in Gay New York. But hey - if you want some backroom fun and weeing people get totally tanked, go for it.
Best part of the whole trip - rent a car and drive into the mountains. See the hill towns, grab lunch in a little restaurant, cool off and have some amazing views and scenery. Stunning and from my perspective, the real Canary Islands.
Villas Blancas and the staff are great. It's just too bad it's in a destination that didn't work for me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 30 bungalows set within tranquil tropical gardens providing varying types of male only accommodation. Two swimming pools (one heated all year-round), 14 man heated jacuzzi, sauna and bar/restaurant. Close to the world famous gay sand dunes and the busy night life of the Yumbo Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Villas Blancas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villas Blancas Hotel Maspalomas
- Villas Blancas Maspalomas, Gran Canaria