Don’t be fooled by the pictures of this hotel in the brochure on or online – this is not the “old prison” that it looks. Yes, it is old, with extensions to every area and nowhere from the outside does it look very nice, except the gardens I hasten to add, these are extensive, beautiful and impecably maintained. On arrival by taxi (if you don’t get it included as we did, it is a well worthwhile extra) we were met by a waiter with a glass of champagne each and a rose for me and everything was taken from us, even a carrier bag containing an empty water bottle and newspaper and taken through to reception for us. We just handed over our passports and were offered use of the facilities to “wash our hands” - wow, gold plating everywhere and spotless - then led by a waiter straight into the lovely restaurant. We were greeted by the Head Waiter and the Restaurant Manager and made to feel like Royalty even though we were drained and tired from travelling having started out at 5 am. The food was good, plenty of choice and plenty of it. The minute our plates were finished with, they were taken away and clean cutlery supplied.The waiting staff hovered like flies which some people may not like but they are only doing their job and as we go to know them we had little jokes if things weren’t quite right – like one night we didn’t have an ice bucket… for our water! This was quickly attended to with a smile and a bow. I would say that the English are certainly in the minority at this hotel and it did show in the food, however, there was a “roast” every night and a huge selection of salads which always included lobster, crayfish, smoked salmon. Cavier and prawns. There was a huge variety of fruit and puddings were good although much the same every night. Our room was okay, a very grand design but now very dated and the bathroom was fine. There was a small balcony (no lighting) which whilst had the tiniest section of sea view, it mainly overlooked a small garden area and then a road with shops and restaurants. The first day we selected our sunbeds and were given towels and a sunshade which was moved about for me as the sun moved. The “pool guy” said not to worry about putting towels out as he would reserve those for us from now on. However the second day on arriving at “our” beds we were surprised to find that they had been turned round and had books on them to reserve them. We were shifted along, being told that these had more space around them. About an hour later a couple appeared and took up residence on the previous two beds and within minutes waiters were coming up to them with drinks and extra towels. We subsequently found out that this couple (Dutch and not German as we originally thought) came to the hotel 3/4 times a year for 3 weeks at a time and were very big tippers! Still, we were happy to tip the guys to have beds reserved every day but not as much as the regular – and obviously wealthier – guests. All in all this was an enjoyable holiday, we met some very nice people and the entire staff couldn’t be more attentive, polite and very friendly – they are without doubt the 5* bit of this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Maspalomas beach. Near "El Faro" and the Maspalomas sand dunes. Direct access to the beach through lush gardens. Two 5-storey main buildings. Surrounded by 65,000 garden with artificial lakes and approx. 2,000 palm trees. 5 km from Playa del Ingles. Airport Gran Canaria Airport (LPA) 37.0 km approx. Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Oasis reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Grand Palace Maspalomas Oasis Hotel Maspalomas
- Riu Grand Palace Hotel Maspalomas
- Riu Grand Palace Resort Maspalomas
- Hotel Riu Palace Oasis Maspalomas, Gran Canaria