Just returned from a week's holiday staying at the Club Rui, Meloneras. We are a mid 30's couple looking for some winter sun. Obviously everything is down to personal taste but these were our findings.
The hotel itself is newly refurbed, clean and modern. The rooms are are also the same. Maid service every day. Towels changed daily. Bed twice a week. Sateliitle TV (mainly catered for Germans) however please note that you can change the American channels from Spanish to English using your remote (see the information card reception give you when you check in). Not that its all about watching TV but BBC News channel does get a bit repetitive! Hairdryer , safe and fridge in room. Our room was literally opposite the outside evening entertainment stage however this made no difference to us. The live music started at 7.15-7.30 and was finished by 11 so it didnt interfer with us at all (depends how early you wanted to go to bed though).
You get free WIFI in the reception for 90 mins a day per device but it was so slow so hardly bothered!
Also, we asked to keep the room longer on our day of departure (was willing to pay the 50 euros) but they said it was not available. However save your money and use their facilities in reception. They have 2 shower rooms (with 2 showers in each) so you can go in there as a couple/family after being around the pool on your last day and freshen up. Towels, hairdryer, sink etc in there. Really nice and clean too.
The pool area is nice. The infinity pool looks amazing too however to get a sunbed there people must be putting their towels there at 5 in the morning! In fact that pretty much goes for all the sunbeds. We were going to the pool after breakfast around 930-1000 and the amount of towels on the beds was amazing (used to amuse us!). What time are these people getting up!! However there were always beds available but they might not have the sun all day so you might have to move about but we didnt have a problem with that. A lot of the beds had towels on and people were not turning up until 1200 and i think that is not fair.
We thought we was missing the UK school holidays by going the week before but there were lots of children there (mainly German). We havent got children ourselves but if you did this would be a great place for them as the children looked like they were having great fun and were being looked after by the entertainments team. Which is why if you was looking for a nice romantic holiday for 2 then you might be a bit disappointed as i would say that this was definitely a family orientated or maturer person's hotel.
The actual area is lovely. Nice promenade outside the back entrance of the hotel. Lots of bars and restaurants that look impressive. If we had known the area we probably would have gone B&B and ate out every night just to get out for the evening.
The food at the hotel was very good. The asian restaurant in our opinion was the best (you have to book this). The other 2 restaurants that you have to book were so so. Personally the choice was far better in the main buffet restaurant of the evening which is where we have normally steered cleared from at other all inclusive holidays. ALL restaurants are self service buffet style. In the 3 restaurants that you book you get your drinks bought to the table whereas in the buffet restaurant you help yourself.
Cant complain at all about the drink selection. Its all there to help yourself to. International brands when you ask for it on your alcoholic drinks. No queues at the bar. Please note that you can get free bottles of water from reception too. You just have to ask.
All staff we dealt with was friendly. No complaints there.
The outside area has a live singer every night 730-1100. Bit cheesy at times but they were good and people were up dancing so they were entertaining. The bar area/terrace could be made to look a bit more romantic (candles on the tables) as opposed to bright spot lights over your head & it was a bit canteen ish atmosphere. The purple bar by the infinity pool was open to 12 and that had a much nicer ambience there. Never watched the entertainment show in the theatre. Popped into Bubbles nightclu which has potential but hardly anyone in there!
I hope this helps and please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. Would we return? Probably yes as it did what we wanted, week away in the winter however not really the place to go if this was your main holiday away as a couple and you wanted a romantic resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The All Inclusive ClubHotel Riu Gran Canaria, is located in Maspalomas, in the southern coast of Gran Canaria, 800 m from the dunes beach, 6 km to Playa del Inglés with its wide beach and its wide range of entertainment options and watersports facilities. As of Summer 2016, in the annexed building there are 37 Adults Only Swim-up suites with access to private swim-up pool. The hotel has 639 comfortably furnished rooms and offers many amenities. 3 adult pools, 1 of which is an infinity pool and 2 pools for children. You can enjoy a wide variety of activities, from live shows to the best nightlife at the nightclub and the RiuArt creative workshop. Children will be able to enjoy various games at the RiuLand kids' club and adolescents with Riu4U, an activities program designed especially for them. For lovers of gastronomy, we offer the best buffets with live cooking stations and you will be able to savor exquisite Asian dishes at our restaurant Kaori and the best grill in the pool area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Gran Canaria reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Clubhotel Gran Canaria Maspalomas
- Club Hotel Riu Gran Canaria
- Riu Gran Canaria
- ClubHotel Riu Gran Canaria Maspalomas