We stayed in the Hotel a number of times in the past and this was the first time since the refurbishment and we found everything done to a high standard.
Pools: The kids pool is totally transformed from what was there before and anyone travelling with small children will find the kids will be entertained all day. The 2 main pools were clean however I did find them a bit too shallow (deepest was 1.25m) and personally would have preferred a deeper section. By the end of the week one of the main pools was heated and this made a dip to cool down a lot better. The adults pool overlooking the promenade/sea was busy on most occasions and we didn't use this pool due to having kids with us. There was always plenty of sun loungers to be found when needed.
Food: The food was fresh and there was always something to eat although after a week I found the food becoming repetitive in the main restaurant (this was mainly a personal opinion). I think since the main restaurant size has been made smaller since the refurbishment it may be the choice is a little less than before. We found the Asian restaurant very good and ate there on 2 occasions in the week which was very good.
Drinks: Always large measures and branded drinks when asked. There are lots of bar staff and you never have to wait long to get a drink.
Room: Kept spotless throughout the week and the walk in shower was excellent. The air conditioning wasn't great although the room was cool enough.
Location: Ideally located for a short stroll to some shops which was great after the evening meal and for a change of scenery the beach was also close.
Two downsides: There was nothing for teenage kids to keep them entertained in the evening and it would be worth have a teenage zone possibly supervised by one of the RIU entertainment team to get teenagers mixing which would make their holiday that bit better (free Wi-Fi would help!) The other downside was we had 2 rooms between a group of lads and although noise wasn't any real issue this is a family hotel and RIU should discourage groups of lads staying in the hotel.
Overall we thought the refurbishment has improved the hotel layout and we would return next year although having stayed in the H10 Playa in the summer we found the RIU food quality was not as varied. The all inclusive means there are no hidden charges like some hotels for food/drink after midnight. A good high standard hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Costa Meloneras, near El Faro. 4 And 2-storey building. On the seafront. 30,000 M2 garden. 900 M from Maspalomas sand dune beach. 6 Km from the centre of Playa del Ingles. 200 M from various shops. 37 Km from the airport. 100 M from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Amex, Visa, Diners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Gran Canaria reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Clubhotel Gran Canaria Maspalomas
- Club Hotel Riu Gran Canaria
- Riu Gran Canaria
- ClubHotel Riu Gran Canaria Maspalomas