“Very lovely hotel- had a lovely stay”

ClubHotel Riu Gran Canaria
Ranked #19 of 217 Hotels in Maspalomas
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my parents about 7 years ago, I thought it was so posh and had a great stay. So when booking my first holiday since then, with my partner, I had no hesitations staying here again.
It was not as 'posh' as it used to be, but was still very very good. The cleaners kept the room and the grounds of the hotel to an amazing standard. Bar service was very speedy even when there were lots of people at the bar. Everyone was so friendly and always said 'Ola!' with a smile even if you could tell they were rushed off their feet.
YES, there were a lot of Germans, but that didn't bother me as I wasn't on holiday with them, I was there with my partner to have a nice time, not to make friends.
Sunbed situation- people were definitely reserving beds overnight which you are not supposed to do, and we did get caught out once without a bed (at 8.15 in the morning!) but there were always spare beds dotted about, so if there weren't two together we just moved them so that they were. The loungers we very close together but that didn't bother me too much (apart from when their umbrellas went up and I was in the shade!)
The food was lovely if you are not too fussy, I lived on their grilled hake! It was to die for! We were only there one week but I can imagine that the food would be quite repetetive for a 2 week stay. We booked the Mexican dinner one night, and it was actually very nice and broke up the repetiveness a little.
We were on the ground floor but I didn't find it too noisy like other reviewers. Didn't really hear anything, was out like a light every night. Beds were so comfy!
It was my partners birthday during the stay, and I emailed prior to arrival and asked for a bottle of champagne to be left in the room on this day which they agreed to do and even said it would be free. When we got back to the roomthe champagne was not there but just as I was on the phone to reception, there was a knock at the door! Looks like we were just a little too early to come back to the room!
With regards to the area, it was perfect for us. There was not much to do surrounding the hotel so it wasn't clubby or noisy, which is not my scene at all (even though I'm 21!) but it was still close enough to get a taxi to wherever you wanted to go. We went to Mercadillo Market one morning which I wouldn't really recommend as there was not a lot there- bit like a Wendy Fayre market in my opinion.
We did go on an excursion for 35 Euros, from a lady that was touting near the beach. It was a glass bottom boat, that took you round the coast so we saw Anfi, Puerto Mogan, Puerto Rico. We looked for Dolphins (but saw none), had a free bar, got given lunch, free banana boat, snorkelling in the sea, it was lovely. It was from 10.30-3.30 and the host 'Johnny Tequila' was hilarious. I would recommend this trip.
The beach was not what I was expecting as I couldn't remember the beach from my last trip. It was a bit pebbly and I didn't really like it, but apparently if we had walked further up we would have hit the Dunes and it would have been a lot nicer.
The drinks quality was good, very generous measures and a lot on offer although didn't have any Southern Comfort :( so I stuck to cocktails.
All in all I'd say it's a very good hotel to stay at. Lots of entertainment for children and in a good area. Great facilities, very clean and very helpful and friendly staff.
I would probably say it's not so much of a 'Premier' hotel as it used to be but still very good.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank EMBC89

Reviewed July 8, 2011

This is my first ever review which i hope will help others who are thinking of going on holiday o the RIU Clubhotel Gran Canaria.

This is our second time in two years as a family with a 5 year old daughter and again we went AI,the AI allows you to eat from 08.30 to 22.30 and drink from early till after midnight with never a queue for food or drink.

Beer (cruzcampo) all soft drinks,slush puppies and wine are available as self service from two pool bars and a outside area during the day and from a inside and outside bar at night.
Breakfast consists of bacon,eggs of every type,sausages,beans,fried potatoes,a variety of cold meats and enormous amounts of salads and jams.

Snacks are available from a pool restaurant or the main restaurant which consist of pizza,pasta,chips,burgers,chicken and meat dishes again with all drinks availabe self service.

Dinner starts at 19.30 if memory serves me right and we usully went about 20.00 20.30 and never had a problem getting a table as with all meals you can sit wherever you like and can even take your food outside,food was always warm and again plenty of choice usually 2-3 soups a pasta area the main salad and cold meat area and a hot food area with a seperate carvery every night.

As soon as you arrive you are given a ticket for complimentry towels which can be exchanged every day between 9-12,a free safety deposit box key and free bottles of water are always avaible at reception on request.

Rooms are a bit dated looking but there is plenty of storage,beds are adaquete with spare pillows,a small fridge is provided and the usual portable tv which is a bit hit or miss with picture quality.Rooms are cleaned every day, towels changed if required and plenty of loo roll with small sachets of soap etc.Shower and bath are ideal and a not very powerful hair dryer does.
Pool areas are cleaned every morning and the usual towels are placed out from 7 o'clock to reserve beds,three different pool sizes and a seperate kids pool seemed enough for the amount of people with the usual activities and kids club which kept our daughter and new friends entertained for hours (Special Thanks to Tracey).
Night time shows were nothing special but passed the time with a kids disco beforehand and the diplomma handouts for the children.

There is a large shopping centre within an easy 10 min walk and a few other shops a few minutes further on which passed the time if you wanted a stroll before returning for a nightcap or to walk off the dinner.

Pros-Free safety deposit box
24Hr Air Con
Free Pool Towels
Free Water
Self Service on all non spirit drinks
Internet 1 Euro=10mins

No Hidden extras at all as long as you are happy with the food and drink at the hotel which we were,the only thing we spent money on were small things like a newspaper and snacks for the room (crisps & chocolate).

Overall a great hotel which needs a small update to the rooms.
Anybody thinking of going please email me and i will gladly answer any questions on anything i have missed.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
13  Thank JamesDougan
Reviewed June 26, 2011

we loved this hotel the staff were great they could not do enough for you i read the reviews before i went & i was a bit unsure but i found it great the entertainment lets it down a bit. but it is a lovely location & very clean. the one thing i would say is if anyone one likes to go on the trips with there holiday reps i would recommend you do not go to the sioux city in less you like to eat your dinner with the flies & the show is very poor

Room Tip: i would suggest you pick a garden view
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank 186356Debbie
Reviewed June 25, 2011

This hotel and holiday ticked all the right boxes and in my opinion is in a perfect location (for my type of holiday) it is on the promenade but the extensive grounds keep any noise or intrusion of the promenade from the residing guests. The accomodation is comfortable and the food is exceptional, meeting the dietry needs and taste bud satisfaction for all. Each and every meal was absolutely perfect, varied and tasty, also served at the correct temperature for the type of dish. I did miss the use of a side plate at the table, but a bread basket was available and the freshly baked bread was available for personal cutting, and was delicious. There was a carvery every evening along with show cooking of fish and meats. The breakfast with the show fried eggs is not to be missed.
I was a little surprised to see the slightly relaxed dress code for the evening meal, where smart/casual long shorts were tolerated on men, but as there is an outside bar and evening entertainment, the wearing of the shorts made sense. The bar staff were amusing, efficient and very good. The drinks selection was also very good and extensive.
I feel that this hotel is in need of a facelift, but do not be put off by this comment as this hotel is managed and run by exceptionally efficient, friendly and caring staff and management, and the term staff covers every department, they were all exceptional!
We took the local service bus into Puerto Morgan on the Friday and took in the local market,a very good and a pretty fishing port. The bus station is not far from the Lighthouse in Melonares, easy to get to and the fares are so much cheaper than the water taxi or the car taxi. We paid 13.60 Euros for two of us (return) and although the return journey goes through Playa Del Englis and took 45min, it was a pleasant journey and at that price worth a try. The bus drivers are most helpful and will direct the passenger to the correct bus and give the times of the buses. We also took the bus to Playa Del Englis and got off at the Tourist Information Centre and returned from the same bus stop. We paid 4.60 Euros for two people return. The hotel and area is 80% German and the locals have a very good knowledge of German, but in my opinion the Germans demand the very best and generally get it and we, as guests also had the same quality and treatment. This is a very friendly hotel and guests of all nationalities communicated in the best way possible- always friendly. A Superb holiday and one to be repeated.

6  Thank JacquiSwansea
Reviewed June 14, 2011

We have been to the same hotel over the last 5 years and this year we found it a bit of a let down. The hotel itself is beautiful and the food is very good. However, the last year we found was beginning as the first including the nightly entertainment which we thought was a bit much. However as I say the hotel and gardens, pools and particularly the prom directly outside is lovely and would highly recommend the hotel for a first time visit

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cyhend
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Arrived late at night and found the checking in very easy. I had requested a pool side view but unfortunately got a road side view which was very noisy from the hotel next door. The rooms were nice, very clean but a bit dated. The food was excellent and always plenty to choose from. The hotel is in a great location although if you like the beach there is a good 10min walk. Didn't really bother with the entertainment as the room was very dark and the seating was set out in a cinema setting (very unsociable) . Went on a trip to Mogan although we didn't use the Thomson excursion which was 27euro each for half a day and it cost us 13euro's for all day. All in all we had a great holiday and I would definately return to the hotel but i agree with recent reviews this is not a Platinum Hotel

1  Thank snowie9
Reviewed June 12, 2011

We stayed at this hotel at the begining of June for 1 week, we arrived at the Hotel about 10 30pm, the reception staff were very efficient, they took the time to explain how to find our way around the hotel, as we had not been there before, a cold meal was left out for us in the resturant as we had missed the meal times.
Breakfast was very good with lots to choose from, we did watch the "running to save a sunbed" early risers, but there are lots of beds for everyone, yes they are very close together but we picked end beds and moved them to give us a bit of space.The food was buffet style, plentyfull and hot, we did not try the specialist resturants.
The clients tended to be of the older age group, but a good range of ages arrived as the week went on. The rooms were clean, in fact the whole hotel was very clean, although there were a lot of German holidaymakers there we did not feel that the staff preferred them to us as mentioned in other reviews. Outside of the hotel is a short walk to designer shops( hang on to your credit card) further along past the shops you arrive at the sand dunes and a lovely walk around a nature reserve.
The evening entertainment was of the expected standard, sometimes very funny, the bar staff work very hard, no long waits to be served, but beware of of the measures of any spirits you ask for ,WOW, they will blow your socks off.
We loved this place, very relaxing and have booked to go back again next year,

4  Thank Chrisjon42