“Resort is beautiful but aged.”

Palm Oasis Maspalomas
Ranked #16 of 217 Hotels in Maspalomas
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Location is near Meloneras, Maspalomas. A half our drive from the airport. Climate: Always Springtime.
Resort is beautiful but very aged. Needs maintenance. Specially the Furniture and beds.
Location is perfect. Free shuttle to the beach.
Swimming pools are lovely and warm.

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We appreciated that Reception called us when we'd just arrived at our studio to ask how we'd found things. We were able to report that it was excellent. The studio was spacious and well lived up to its description. We chose the half board option and were delighted. There was ample choice and the cooked breakfast was so much nicer than the usual buffet ones where the bacon is all fat. (only comment - it could have been a bit hotter!) In the evening there was again enough choice and the outside dining area with the patio heaters was very pleasant and intimate. The service was always friendly and helpful. We chose to dine later in the evening and the buffet was replenished throughout whereas in some hotels the staff are waiting to clear away well before the advertised finish time.We have no criticism of the hotel. We are walkers so headed off for the interior in our hire car. The hotel was well placed for our purpose but would have been less so had we hoped to stroll along the seafront. Again,in the evening we were content to linger over dinner but when, on one evening we looked for a bar area with music or entertainment there was nothing. What was advertised was in a basement room and nobody came so it didn't happen. This didn't bother us and didn't diminish our favourable impression of the Palm Oasis.

3  Thank CheshireMargaret
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Just back from a weeks break in this superb resort.Got a superb unit with spiral staircase to roof terrace from huge patio area, if the views were not good enough from lower patio down to Faro de Maspalopas the sun terrace was even better looking down to dunes in the distance.Unlike others we knew the location to be on the outskirts but this also has its plus points i.e. not too noisy.Its a great base for walking down to Melanoras Golf and down prom to Faro or walk to the Dunes and back thru P.D.I.We had a bad experience with a local steak house not far from resort the house wine cost more than meal for two what a rip-off.We then opted for the half-board package from resort which was excellent value for money and that included both Canarian and Bar barbecue night.The grounds and pool areas are the best we have seen as is the apartment and all well maintained.What an excellent cleaning system in place every day apart from Sunday,faultless.The reception staff were very helpful.We found the onsite shop good but if required there is a huge Spar first right after Chinese restaurant opposite resort.The taxi service is very good and after walking at night for meal at Cita center took one back for about 5 euro's good value.We did our homework on the resort before we booked and liked what was on offer, you would have to be be some kind of cretin not to appreciate the experience here.Only negative was a young child about 4years yelling and running about reception with parents watching not the resorts fault just bad parenting.

Room Tip: A unit on top floor the furthest from main hotel as they are past kids pool
2  Thank theo15
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed in a one-bedroom apartment for 3 nights. It was a lovely apartment, clean and well furnished. Beds and pillows very firm though and we had to remove the nasty waterproof mattress covers to be able to sleep - would have appreciated some decent cotton mattress covers instead of plastic. Wi-fi was intermittent in our apartment. We were on the second floor and had a nice big terrace, larger than most other apartments (though it did mean that views were restricted because it was on the level of the tops of the palm trees). The pool area was beautiful and the pool itself great for swimming, even though we were there in January. Small supermarket on site, open from 8am until 7pm, and another supermarket about 5 minutes walk away, which is open until 9pm. The hotel is a way out of the main town. We had rented a car, and parking cost €2 per day. There was a taxi rank right outside the hotel, which was well used and also a bus stop opposite where I believe you could get the bus into the town - a number of tourists were waiting there for the bus in the mornings. We ate at the hotel restaurant on one night - they have a barbecue evening on Thursday and the food was quite good. Sitting out on the terrace there was pleasant (it had patio heaters) though we thought the inside area lacked atmosphere. There is a good grill restaurant about 5 minutes walk away and a Chinese restaurant just opposite the hotel. For any other restaurants or nightlife you would have to go into town.

1  Thank tog
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Just read a previous review detailing many safety issues with this resort if staying with young children! I felt compelled to reply as I have been holidaying here for a few years now with young children from 18mth to 7 years of age and have had no calls for concerns at any time I feel that perhaps the writer of the previous review should consider teaching their child how to behave and keep an eye on them rather than blaming a resort!
The accommodation here is beautiful and I will be returning this February with family for what I know will be another lovely holiday at palm oasis

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank jonessusie
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is a long entry, but I felt the detail was necessary, especially if you are traveling with young kids and would like to avoid any surprises!

We stayed for 10 nights from the 21st Jan with our 2 young kids (4.5 girl, 28 month old boy) and would be happy to return, though I want to highlight a few things families should be aware of.

We arrived in the early evening and were warmly welcomed by the security guard at the gate and were then checked-in quickly and efficiently with the front desk. The mistake I made was in not ringing ahead to ensure that the apartment that was selected for us was 'kid friendly' as it turned out we had been allocated an apartment with a very high balcony, over-looking the road below, with a spiral staircase leading to the roof- a complete death-trap for my very active and curious children!
I immediately went back to reception and said there was no way we could stay in this apartment and that I would take anything else, even switching apartments during our stay if it meant my children would be safe. The man I spoke to couldn't help me until the next morning when the 'reservations team' would arrive (2 very nice multi-lingual women, situated in a room to one-side of reception).
So we spent the night in the apartment, which I might add was perfectly fine inside, it was just the balcony area that I had a problem with. The next morning I spoke with one of the nice ladies in reservations. She was very helpful, explaining everything to me about the aspect of the various apartments and the trouble with re-locating us, as all the apartments were fully booked.

For those with young kids, you want to stay in the garden area apartments, rather than in the hotel building itself, which have high balconies overlooking the road or pool area and would be lethal to an agile child.

The garden apartments located in front of the road are actually the best option because there is a walled terrace off the back of the basement level apartments. The apartments on the other side of the hill (visible in some photos online) have a garden, but there is no barrier to the side of the hill so your kids could technically fall down the side of the hill!

I was offered one of the base-ment level apartments and reservations gave me a key so I could go check it out it and decide if we wanted to move in to it or not. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw the large terrace area with wall, 2 lounge chairs, dining table & 4 chairs, with enough space for my 2 year old to kick around a foot-ball and high lock so the terrace doors could never be opened by a child.

We were able to move in within 30 minutes, which was very efficient of the hotel. When we got settled I realised there was a small gap between the end wall of the terrace and side-wall, which as I suspected, was big enough for a small child to squeeze through (my daughter was only too happy to try it out for me :). I immediately called reception and said we would need this gap to be blocked for my kids safety and again they were very quick to respond sending down proper handy-men who cut a piece of wood to size and fitted it to block the gap properly, so we were delighted.

The next issue we had were the glass tops of all the tables within the apartment. The apartments that I saw (i.e. our initial apartment and the second one that we moved to) both had glass topped wicker material furnishings. i.e. a large square glass topped coffee table, glass-topped side-board table, dining table, bed-side tables, t.v. table and dressing table. I have to admit I was concerned about the safety of these tables, but figured I was being a bit paranoid because of the previous balcony issue. Sure enough, within 1 hour of moving in, my paranoia proved correct when my 2 year old went to put away his colouring pencils in the left-hand drawer of the side-board table in the living room area and when pulling the drawer open towards himself, the entire thing fell over, the glass top on it smashing into a million pieces!

Needless to say, it was a miracle that he didn't die as if he hadn't stepped back out of the way the table would have pinned him to the floor with glass falling all over him. Thank god, he got away without a scratch but I was rather shocked and again called reception to ask for help to clean up all the glass and requested that every piece of glass table topping be removed from the apartment.
I also asked that the t.v. in the bedroom (freestanding on a small glass topped table) be removed in case my son pulled it on top of himself. The t.v. in the living area was fine because it was set into a wooden frame, which meant even if he pulled it towards himself it couldn't topple over, it would just jam in the frame. Reception had a cleaner and handy-man sent down to me within minutes to clean up the glass and then sent down 2 more men to take away all the glass table-tops. Obviously, I would strongly advise the hotel (and I have already informed reception of this) to consider having a policy of NO glass topped tables in the apartment when young kids will be staying there, given the high risk of injury.

My only criticism of how the event was dealt with was that even after 2 cleanings of the apartment I still found some small shards of glass and had to ask that the apartment floor be cleaned again. The problem as I saw it, stemmed from the fact that the cleaning staff only seemed to have a sweeping brush and mop, when clearly a hoover would have made the most sense to ensure all shards were properly removed. That said, the lady that was sent to clean for the third time listened to my complaint (I have decent Spanish, which is a big help when speaking to the cleaning staff) and then literally got down on her hands and knees, cleaning behind and under all the furniture to make sure no pieces of glass remained.

After all this drama it took a couple of days for me to relax and realise that my son was no longer likely to kill himself and that's when I began to appreciate the many benefits to this resort.

Here's my summary of the positives and the negatives;

POSITIVES

- It's very easy to find your way here from the airport if you are driving.

- Stunning, well-maintained pool area. It literally is an oasis, loads of palm trees, different pools (i.e. large adult pool, medium pool with kids water slide, jacuzzi and kids paddling pool). Definite selling point, unlike the many 'cement & pool' offerings in other hotels on the island. The pools were warm, indicating that they do actually heat them.

- high-speed Wifi access. It costs €20 for 1 week, or €30 for 2 weeks. Totally worth it, if you need the internet. The signal was a bit patchy sometimes, but mostly worked perfectly.

- Daily cleaning, except Sunday. A god-send when you have young kids! The cleaning staff were all so nice and doted on the kids, they even did the washing up in the sink :)

- Just my personal opinion, but I liked the fact that we were away from the hustle & bustle of the main maspalomas area down by the sea. It was quiet, calm and felt safe.

- On that note, security was very good. A security man would walk around the perimeter of the complex, passing in between our terrace and the edge of the hill down to the road, during the day and also during the night. I was up between 3-5 am one night due to the kids and saw a flash-light from the security guard who passed our apartment twice during that time. Comforting for those who are worried about security.

- The safe is €1.80 per day, but is very secure so we felt it was worth using it to store valuables during our stay.

- A 5 minute walk down the hill and literally right across the road is an amazing park with 3 playground areas, cafe, rock-climbing wall, pond, grass/picnic areas... the lot. Really fantastic place to bring the kids. Take note however, that walking back up the hill with kids in a buggy is akin to an Iron Man contest so be prepared to 'feel the burn' on the way back home. If you don't feel your fitness is up to that, just take the car down as there is a large car park to the back of the park.

- There is a very energetic woman who runs the activities offered throughout the day. There is a busy schedule with aqua gym or pilates for those who feel like exercising, kids club around mid-day with organised games, also boules, karaoke etc.. This entertained my daughter when we were having a day by the pool.

- Friendly staff who were always very responsive to my requests and indeed, complaints.

- The apartment itself has a good kitchen with plenty counter top space, proper size fridge/freezer (those mini-bar style fridges drive me crazy!) with all cooking essentials, good sized living area, great bathroom with marble, double sinks, jet shower & jacuzzi bath, the bedroom is decent size also.

NEGATIVES

- A car is really a necessity if you want some freedom. The hotel is located at the top of a hill so you can't go out for walks with kids with any great ease. Also, there are so few restaurants/shops in the area that a car/taxi is what you will need to get you to commercial centres.

- Parking in the underground portion of the hotel is €2 per day. There is free parking outside the hotel in an open-air, tarmac area that is far less handy, especially if you are carrying in food shopping if self-catering as we were. I felt this was a bit scabby given no one else is going to be using the car park, other than their residents given there is nothing else in the area.

- The on-site playground is not well-maintained. The safety, rubber flooring is old and damaged by the weather so it has hardened and shrivelled up making it as rough and abrasive as falling on gritty tarmac. My daughter did fall on it and had a few nasty grazes, so that was the end of that. The playground down the road has sand in two play areas and the safe rubber in another area, meaning accidents were far less likely so go there instead.

- The 'games room', which is down-stairs opposite the pedestrian entrance to the parking area is just a pool table with some chairs around it. There is also an arcade game just at the foot of the stairs, so not much use to young kids in case you're counting on it if there's a wet day.

- From what we've heard the food isn't great, but we weren't too surprised given some meals we had in restaurants along the promenade at maspalomas and meloneras beach were pretty average. e.g. veg out of a jar/tin kind of thing. It didn't bother us as we were staying self-catering. My advise, go to the local Mercadona in San Fernando and stock up on essentials to keep the kids going during the day.

- A potentially big issue for those with young kids is that the apartment door cannot be locked from the inside. You can turn a lock from the inside to stop intruders getting in, but it does nothing to stop a young child from getting out. We discovered this when our 2 year old just turned the handle on the door and meandered out while we were unpacking, giving us another terrible fright! Our solution was to push one of the sitting room sofa chairs against the door, which worked perfectly as he isn't strong enough (yet!) to move it. I didn't bother contacting reception about this issue as I felt like I'd had enough to discuss with them already as we were happy that the chair would provide sufficient security as the kids couldn't get past it.

- A fairly minor complaint, but the hairdryer in the apartment, (located in the bathroom) is effectively a hand-dryer with a nozzle attached. Not very effective, so bring your own.

- As in most parts of Gran Canaria, there are cats everywhere and this was equally the case in the Palm Oasis. My daughter loved it, but for anyone who may be allergic to cats or not like them much, be warned there are literally a dozen cats meandering around the complex at any one time :)

- On our first day there was some light rain in the morning and I discovered that this made any areas with tiles lethal to walk on, even if you're being careful not to slip. That means the terraced area outside your apartment would be very slippy and the tiled area in the garden where the bird cage is would also be dodgy. Thankfully, there isn't much rain here but again, my kids narrowly avoided injuring themselves when they slipped on it so be aware of this. The stone slab-stones throughout the rest of the complex gardens are fine and not slippy at all.

- Also, if the marble floor in the apartment itself becomes even a bit wet. e.g. after bathing the kids or washing up in the kitchen, they are also extremely slippy so take great care and buy kitchen roll in the supermarket to mop up spillages quickly.

All in all though, we loved this resort. It ticked all the right boxes, good accommodation, good location with lots nearby for kids to do (e.g. holiday world is 2 minutes down the road by car, 5 minutes to the beach by car), great pool area so you didn't feel you had to go to the beach and helpful staff. We would definitely consider staying here again in future.

Room Tip: Ask for a basement apartment (don't worry, they still get plenty sun-light particularly in the e...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank tcmhealth
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My new husband and I stayed at the Palm Oasis during our Honeymoon to the Canary Islands and booked through Interval International. The rooms and overall property were very nice, including the pool, but be aware that there were lots of kids. The property was located in a good location and we enjoyed traveling around each day with our car. The worst part of our stay were the HORRIBLE beds, the hardest I've slept on in a long time, but we did enjoy the rest of the room & large bathroom. Having a kichen was really convenient and saved us quite a bit of money.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple