“Disappointed”

eo Suite Hotel Jardin Dorado
Ranked #56 of 216 Hotels in Maspalomas
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Just spent a week at this hotel and was extremely disappointed. It is advertised as a four star but in reality it is probably two or three stars.

The layout of the apartments was good (all with their own front door onto a lovely garden area, no lifts or stairs). However the exteriors are now looking tired with cracked walls, exterior door which no longer fits the frame, peeling varnish/woodstain. The inside of the apartments were roomy and cleaned every day but unlike the previous reviewer our bed linen was changed once in the seven days we were there.
Saturday night was the one and only night there was any entertainment on.
The "show cooking" only seemed to be on Saturday and Sunday, the "hot" buffet food was cold (commented on by a number of guests) and some seem to be recycled from previous evenings!
Our week was booked All Inclusive but when I inquired about the a la carte restaurant I was told it was not part of AI and we would have to pay extra (the advert for this holiday led me to believe a la carte was part of AI).
This is the only establishment I have ever been in where the bar staff cannot tell you the cost of an international brand drink and if you do have any of these you only find out the cost when you pay your bar bill on the day you leave.
Certain members of staff were quite rude!

The pool area was good and quite well laid out but one of the pools was taken out of use on Sunday for repair and was not brought back into use until the following Saturday.

As I have said above it was not all bad (the main thing being the food) but four star it is definitely not and we would certainly not stay here again!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank William B
There are newer reviews for eo Suite Hotel Jardin Dorado

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Just had two weeks at this great complex in Gran Canaria. It is probably one of the smallest complexes we have stayed in but it really was lovely. We arrived about 2.30 in the afternoon and were able to enjoy lunch as it is served until 3.00. Our bungalow was no. 319 which is the furthest row away from the pool/restaurant but it suited us fine. We overlooked a lovely golf course and it was great to sit out in the evening and have a drink on the patio and watch the golfing activities. The bungalow itself was quite big with a really nice lounge area with large sofa and another small chair. Some rooms had kitchen facilities but ours didn't. The bedroom had two single beds pushed together which was fine and a large wardrobe with shelves and plenty hanging space. There was a very big TV which was on a bracket on the wall which you could turn round and watch TV in bed if you wanted to. There was actually only two English channels - Sky News and World News but it kept you up on what was happening in the world.
Our accomodation was cleaned every day and we got clean towels every day and the bedding was changed every two or three days.
We found the food to be very good. Breakfast you could have eggs made any way you wanted bacon sausages beans tomatoes mushrooms. etc. pancakes also made to order, yoghurts, fruit, cheese, ham, so much to choose from. Some mornings there was smoked salmon and also champagne. Lunch served from 1.00 till 3.00 was also very good with plenty of choices. There was always soup lots of cold meats salads hot foods were really good with chicken veal pork fish on the menu. Always two meats or one meat and one fish cooked to order at the servery. Some delicious looking sweets along with ice cream and also fresh fruit. Plenty of choices and we always found something we liked. The evening meal was also good with plenty of choices. Their salads and pastas were delicious and along with the serrana ham and smoked salad which was frequently on the menu we were very satisfied with all the food.
Before we went on holiday I was reading comments about the staff being rude and surly but I can say quite honestly that most of the staff we found to be very helpful and pleasant. Maria, Jennifer and Ussandra at the bar were lovely and always remembered our drinks. As did Manalo and the other barman who I am sorry I can't remember his name. They all work very hard and have to serve drinks and clear tables as well. Most of them speak a little English and can understand your drinks or food requests. A lot of the other guests we spoke to seemed to think that the drinks were on the weak side and I would agree that they never seemed to be very strong. However perhaps that is not a bad thing! The problem with the drinks is that they put two HUGE pieces of ice in the glass. When we asked if we could just have one ice cube we were told that they had been instructed to always give two ice cubes, so not wanting to get anyone into trouble we just went along with it. The wine was really nice especially the rose. I usually have to put some sprite in mine when I am on holiday but this time it was just fine. Also tried the red wine which was very nice.
The pool area was lovely and you didn't have to get up at 6a.m. to get a sun bed. Even in the afternoons there was still beds available. Breakfast didn't start until 8.00 which is quite late. Most hotels we have been to you can get breakfast from 7.00 and as an early riser (even on holiday) I would have liked to at least be able to get a coffee earlier. However it was no big deal and certainly didn't spoil my holiday.
My only complaints about this hotel are firstly that water is not part of your all inclusive and secondly that your all inclusive finishes at 12.00 on the day you are leaving. If you buy 1.5 litres of water at the bar you are charged 2euros 50 but you can buy this at the supermarket for 49 cents.
This hotel is quite remote but we knew this when we booked it and it was exactly what we wanted. There is no animation team (yipee) and only the occassional entertainment in the evening. I wouldn't say this hotel is suitable for families with young children as there is very little for them to do apart from the pool but there are free buses to Maspalomas where there is a beautiful beach and also to Playa Del Ingles for lots of night life and shopping. If you are looking for a peaceful holiday in a really nice complex with good food and occassional entertainment then I would recommed this hotel. We would certainly visit again in the future.

Room Tip: If you want to be near the pool and restaurant ask for a room on the front row. If you are wanting...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jeniffer011
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I have just returned from a weeks half board with my boyfriend, we requested to be on the inner circle which we were room 113, the bungolows were a great size for two and cleaned every day. it was pretty quiet during the week then got busier at the weekend, always able to get a sunbed and no problem reserving them with towels.
The food was brilliant, some thing different everyday including a bbq at weekends, couldn't fault it!
as it is an all inclusive hotel they don't tend to take cash at the bar you just have a tab over the week, which worked out fine as you don't need to carry cash around the pool etc, we ended up paying less than we thought so drinks were pretty cheap!
the hotel is alittle out of the way so taxis are a must but only cost 4 euros to maspolomas or ingles, id recommend maspolomas for restaurants, the Italian on the beach front was amazing!
all in all a great week!!

Room Tip: inner circle if possible
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank khereford
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Overall there are a contrast within the ratings, given different experiences of the people who stayed here. Unfortunately this hotel did not match up to our families needs, although we had a great time looking at different parts of Gran Caneria in the day, we did not look forward going back to this hotel at night. Part of this may be due to the overall attitude of the waiting and bar staff towards some of the customers and this showed within the whole ambiance.

During our time here we were AI, for us this was not value for money due to the fact that we went out every day. When we went back my husband tried to get three drinks at the bar, one for our three year old but this was forbidden due to their drinks policy.

Additionally, this place states AI, however this is not true as breakfast is served 7 ish till 10.30 lunch (Buffet) 12 till 1 and al carte lunch 1 till 2.30 I think, buffet (small) till 5 or 6 and now policy has just changed for a la carte as this has changed as this used to finish at 10 however this has now changed to 9. So when I tried to get an ice cream for my little girl I wasn't able to do so given the stern 'no closed' from one of the waiting staff this was when I understood the times had changed.

My overall view of this is that you have your wrist band so you have already paid and therefore we done need to try. This was shown at the bar where the bar staff served a non AI customer before three people who were in the que, as a result there was a tip.

Overall, based on our overall experience, one point goes towards the food, although this was only served in one restaurant you can tell this was fresh and the chefs try hard to produce a varied menu.

One point goes towards the cleaning staff, our rooms were immaculate, they were also very friendly whilst they worked very hard.

One point goes to the reception staff, both man and women were very helpful and spoke very good English and the young waiter as he was polite.

This place did also feel safe and a family atmosphere, both girls made good friends. We also met some lovely families. Both who shared the same experience as us.

I understand that the staff, such as waiting staff and bar staff may be overworked and this may be the reason towards the attitude towards some of the customers. However, this is no excuse, in my younger days I too worked in this industry and I would feel heartless if I spoke to customers in this way. So maybe they should have a policy towards the way customers should be treated, as this place has a policy for everything else towards the changing rules of AI.

Overall, this review is only based upon our experience. Some families have had really good experiences and some have had worst then us. But I can safely say that although we have stayed in different AL, this may have concerted us to go self catering in the future and to try out the authentic food wherever we may stay as this did not work out to be good value for money for our family.

Room Tip: The rooms are clean. We may have stayed in a fairly new bungalow so when booking maybe state that yo...
4  Thank K B
Reviewed September 4, 2013

2 weeks All Inclusive with my girlfriend. Accommodation around £700pp - great value considering our experience. Great little complex far enough away from the hustle and bustle of Playa del Ingles & Maspalomas but close enough that it's only 4 euro for a taxi or a free, always punctual, bus. Staff are extremely efficient, busy workers; some were quite funny and remembered your drink orders; and to respond a little to a previous review, their English is much better than my Spanish, so maybe learn a bit Spanish, like 'hello, please, thank you' etc. It does go down well (I honestly heard some guests asking each other what 'Por Favor' means, well into their 2nd week). Meals are superb, loads of choice. Omelettes and eggs cooked in front of you at breakfast, chicken, steaks, fish etc. very nice! Bar got a little bit busy at meal times the first few days but quietened down later on but didn't find this an issue. Entertainment wasn't great but I found a great way to entertain me, talk to people! Room was superb, nice and clean, quite impressive. I managed to get hold of another key, one for the lock and one for the electricity, meaning the air con and fridge was on all day, so those who want a little drink after the 11pm bar closure, can sit out their bungalow, very nice and relaxing. Garden and pool well maintained, always staff out in the mornings tidying and cleaning. Maid service was excellent, room cleaned everyday, apart from 1 when I put the 'Do Not Disturb' sign outside, due to me enjoying the night before a little too much (4:30am bedtime)! There was a TV, I don't know much of it as I didn't even switch it on; I was on holiday. If you do want to watch something, bring a small DVD player and a long HDMI cable or something as I was heard groans about 1 English channel. Rent the safe, don't scrimp on that, only 2.50 euro per day. I would also recommend paying 10 euro deposit for a towel to use on your sunbed, you can go to reception every day and they will change it for a fresh one, brilliant service and it essentially doesn't cost anything. Wi-fi was a little disappointing I must say, but that isn't going to spoil my say. Don't expect too much from the gym, however if you are into that, there's a good fitness centre across the road and it is very cheap. Get good timed flights if you can as check out is at 12pm, which of course, everyone with eyes will have seen before they booked. Overall a superb stay, one of the best I've been to, I'm just gutted to be home! ¡Hasta la vista!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank BowdenGa
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Have just returned from our 3rd trip here in 12 months so needless to say we like it very much! Food was excellent as usual and although the staff always finish whatever it is they are doing before serving you, there was never a queue at the bar of more than 5 people (I am in customer service and would love to adopt this approach - I might not keep forgetting what I was doing before being interrupted by a customer, ha ha!). Rooms are absolutely spotless although we had no hot water all week. Should have complained but didn't - we liked the challenge of who could stay in there the longest! My daughter's hair went green in the pool this time although it hasn't happened before! The staff have a very good understanding of English. WiFi comes on in fits and starts which can be irritating and is only available for free in the reception area. There are also books to borrow in here too. Took the free shuttle bus into Maspalomas then paid around £30 to go to Puerto Mogan which had a fantastic beach. It was a little cove so great for keeping an eye on the children. Friday was market day too so brilliant for little trinkets to take home. We ordered a picnic 24hours before and were supplied with 2 rounds of cheese/ham sandwiches and 2 pieces of fruit each. We just bought drinks and crisps while we were out (If you can find a Spar, they seem to be much cheaper than the little supermarkets in the hotels). Maspalomas beach is worth a visit too but is just a little more vast. We have said we'd like a change next year but hearing people talking about their hotels at the airport, it may be better to be safe than sorry!

Room Tip: The bungalows are in three rows circling the pool so you can't really get a bad room.
1  Thank victoria s
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have just returned from a weeks all inclusive with my son. I was concerned before we got there as like most people, had read a lot of bad reviews and lets face it, when you are spending over a thousand pound just for a week in the sun you want it to be ok. Well it was. We arrived late and were ushered into dinner before check in which was good as my son was starving then afterwards checked in to our room. It was 117 right by the pool on inner circle.
My son is a typical teenager and did not surface until twelve most days so I breakfasted alone and saved two sunbeds for us every day. I never had a problem and did not see anyone else experiencing trouble either.

Food was great, all fresh and great selection available every mealtime. Table linen was spotlessly clean as was the cutlery and crockery. Really could not fault it, soups were especially tasty.
Fresh fruit and gorgeous salads in abundance. Plates were cleared efficiently and drinks orders served promptly.

Wine was of good quality and very drinkable considering it is probably only fairly cheap stuff. Room was perfect, spotlessly clean and cleaned daily with extra towels and toiletries not a problem if requested. We bought three days internet connection for my son which worked perfectly in suite and around pool and was reasonable.

Don't know why people complain about the service, we really did spend every day at hotel and I can honestly say that the staff worked tirelessly and efficiently every day. In temperatures of 34 degrees, that's not easy!!!

I have worked and stayed in many hotels round Europe including four seasons George V in paris and balaggio in vegas and I think for a small establishment, it provided a pretty good service.

Staff were always friendly and helpful and lets be honest, if you treat people with respect whoever they are, you generally get the same back. Simple manners will always go a long way.

Taxis are quick and cheap and I would say necessary when your son is too hot to walk far, never a problem.

Pool did turn my blonde hair green but I took purple shampoo with me and it washed out every night. Lets face it, chemicals react together and how many different types of hair dye are there? Lots! My hair went green in my own gym pool once so I think its just one of those things. Would rather have that than bacterial infections in water.

Overall we had a brilliant time and \I would certainly recommend it to my friends for a quiet week away with good food and great apartment. Was never noisy and entertainment kept low key which was what we wanted.

Could not fault it for price we paid and would definitely return. We had suite 117, right by pool, perfect.

Brilliant holiday, loved every minute. No complaints and would definitely go back ,

Must mention soups again, fabulous and always good sign of excellent chef.

Thanks to all staff and management, we loved it. we needed a good break with no hassle and that's what we got. First class service.

Room Tip: We had 117 and were right by pool. spacious patio area which is lovely and sunny. Was perfect for us...
1  Thank Gilbertina24