“Cheap as chips”

Bungalows Vista Oasis Apartments
Ranked #82 of 218 Hotels in Maspalomas
Reviewed June 9, 2013

For a 2 star hotel i was pleasantly suprised and having read reviews before i left was totally relieved.
This is a pleasant clean quiet hotel.
The rooms were cleaned daily bar Thursday and Sunday and i found the maids happy and fiendly.
The pool was clean and maintained daily as was the pool area.
I found the food to be the usual type served in most spanish A/I hotels. It was hot and fresh, yes not cooked in high quantities but this worked better if you had the paitence to wait as you knew the food was fresh. Not one of us went hungry and having two five year olds with us we had fussy eaters to contend with and had no problems keeping them satisfied.
All the staff bar one were happy friendly and very helpful, Please and thankyou are not part of the A/I and do go along way.
This is a quiet hotel but only 4 euros taxi fare from night life and the holiday world fun fair.
There are a few restaurants only a short walk away that seemed quiet popular with other guests.
The spar shop is a 3 min walk from the hotel and was very well priced, if i was to return to this hotel i would not bother loading my cases with toiletries as there was plenty of choice at the shop and i could take a few more shoes LOL.
Would i return to this hotel ?
In short yes.
If i had a small budget and the choice was vista or nowhere i would not hesitate, the rooms were dated but clean the pool was nice the food was fine and the weather good what more could anyone want.
I knew that as a 2 star i was not going to get the Hilton but i went with an open mind and was determind not to spend my week away finding fault and making myself miserable.
Mission accomplished.
We all had a nice break and would be more than happy to return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank jellybelly99
Write a ReviewReviews (1,078)

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We have just returned from ten days here, on a b&b basis. We love Gran Canaria and the prices and quality of these types of budget apartments are really great. Ive been unwell and we asked for a quiet apartment, we got exactly that, spotlessly clean, beds comfy, two cooking rings and a microwave adequate for holiday requirements, people who moan about not having a full oven - are you really going to cook up a three course meal?! The breakfast was adequate, baked beans scrambled eggs toast jam etc. Could maybe do with a little more fruit but that's our only criticism. Pool was really great, im not that confident in the water and it was mainly shallow enough for me to swim and not panic! Got REALLY fed up with our fellow guests whinging about just about everything, ants (errm, Canaries are sub tropical..!!) coackroaches (ditto...!!) what on earth they had to moan about goodness knows. Its a budget accommodation which more than did the job, as for people moaning about the staff, try learning a little Spanish such as good morning, please and thank you - you'll be amazed at how helpful they are, instead of standing and shouting at them in English!! Great time, great weather, would definitely go back.

Room Tip: If you are fussy, ask for a quiet room. The rooms by the pool I imagine would be a little livelier a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank caznbri
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed for just over two weeks at Vista Oasis in May and had a very enjoyable stay. I have been going to Gran Canaria for over 10 years now, I do holiday elsewhere as well but somehow always seem to find myself going back to GC. I have stayed at quite a few different apartment complexes over the years some good and some not so good I would honestly put Vista Oasis as one of the best for this price range.

The apartments are very tidy, not large but certainly big enough for a couple or couple and child. The apartment has a small kitchen area with two cooking rings and I was given a toaster on request from Reception which was not charged as an extra. TV is an extra which you pay for at Reception but at 1.50 euros a day seemed pretty reasonable.

When I arrived I had been given an apartment that backed onto another one so didn't have much of a view, now I admit I can be a bit fussy and decided I would prefer an apartment with a sea view so decided it was worth asking although I wasn't optimistic that I could get a move. However the lady on reception could not have been more helpful and asked if I could stay in that one for two nights and then one with a view would be available on my third day. The one I moved into looked over the pool area and towards the Dunes and the Sea beyond which was very nice when sitting on the terrace.

I actually found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful and doing everything they could to make peoples stay an enjoyable one. Its worth mentioning that their night staff are also very helpful unlike other places I have stayed.

Personally I am not a fan of full board preferring to experience different foods at local Restaurants and then returning to the apartment later to sit out on the terrace with a drink and a good book but for those that do like to stay around the apartments in the evening Vista Oasis does have very good value food on offer either from a menu or from a help yourself hot buffet in a pleasant Restaurant and Bar area. You can also order food to take away if you want to which I did on one occasion. There also appeared to be entertainment on most evenings which I cant really comment on as I was mostly out but on the few occasions that I heard it going on it sounded popular and I believe was a different type of entertainment each evening.

Must make a mention about the cleaning which was excellent and appeared to be most days, the apartment was clean when I moved in and stayed clean throughout my stay.

All in all a very enjoyable stay and really felt that the customers matter to the staff and as I am intending to go to GC again in October I will definitely be staying at Vista oasis again

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Richard P
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Apartments were basic, cleaned regularly. Food wasn't great but plenty of nice restaurants nearby and a taxi to town is only €4 each way. Provides free bus to the beach which was handy. The bar closes at 11 which was disappointing but again other places nearby stay open later and a taxi to town is cheap. Pool was lovely, staff were nice, no noise at night as it is more of a family resort than a party resort. It would be nice if there was entertainment in the bar every night as there would have been a crowd for it.

We were worried about what to expect given the other tripadvisor reviews but it is not nearly as bad as it is made out to be. It is a basic complex and you really get what you pay for.

Room Tip: All rooms have a nice view but a pool side view is the best
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank George F
Reviewed May 28, 2013

the bungalows are in poor repair so is the reception, the choice of food is not very good either. the cleaners come 5 days a week which is good, but they only change towels twice a week which is not good. the location is on a hill in the middle of nowhere, but they do lay on a free bus to the beach as it is too far to walk.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2013

What can I say..... This horrible little complex is situated so far away from any civilisation it is beyond belief this would not be so bad if the food was of any standard but boy oh boy it was truly dreadful. Very limited choice and should you not eat any of it then they found a way of recycling the garbage and sneaked it into the next days menu. The food is so bad that even the local ferral cats and pigeons refused the tit bits.
As for the staff then other than one sweet young girl in the bar it was service with a snarl I am afraid
Considering I paid for all inclusive I was shocked to be charged nore for tv.safe. toaster etc. If the could of got away with it then they would charge for .
I have been on cheaper all inclusive holidays that gave many times more value ... very sorry excuse of a holiday which was only saved by some very nice brits that I met

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank davidfromdudley
Reviewed May 20, 2013

the Complex is cheap and extremely basic, most of the apartments got very nice view of Maspalomas and Playa Del Ingles. The resort is on top of a hill so there are lots of steps and steep ramps so not suitable for old people or with push chairs etc.
The restaurant is stuck in the 50's 60's deco with plastic garden chairs and table, food choice is awful, same stuff every day and if you arrived at restaurant late say 30 mins before end of session there is likely to be no food left this resort is more suitable for a short stay - room only to sleep holiday and eating out, its not possible to cook in apartment due to lack a facilities. If you go to bar/club every night then it will be expensive because you need to take a taxi. its way too far from night life and beaches.
The last 2 nights in the resort we had some alcoholic northerners coming back at 4am in the morning and waking up everyone in the complex! the buildings were cast concrete and no sound proofing.

Room Tip: a nice view room - a South or Southeast facing room. south facing room gets very hot during the day...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends