“great for what we paid!”

Bungalows Vista Oasis Apartments
Ranked #83 of 216 Hotels in Maspalomas
Reviewed August 31, 2012

this was a spacious one bedroom apt with large private terrace with views of sea and dunes. the apt was clean. twin beds were comfortable. kitchen adequate for our needs. a downer was the lack of air conditioning but we knew this and rented a fan from reception for ten euro for the week --- a great help! we also rented the tv for ten euro and a safe too....tv mainly had sky news, cnn, an action channel and a horror channel -- good for the the few times we were in to flick it on. the pool was lovely and the area was clean. i was disappointed to read so many reviews talking about the "obese women in bikinis" if this bothers or offends you then u must be very ugly people yourself. i say fair play to these women who are comfortable in their skin and wear what makes them feel good...whats offensive is people who are predjudiced against someone for how they look.....also the talk of the" spanish overtaking the place" would you go to ireland and complain of too many irish around?? WIERD! there were many spanish there when i was visiting too and they were fine, the kids running around and shouting because they were HAVING A GOOD TIME! what u are meant to do on holiday and i was happy to see it...noone was too loud and it was dead quiet at night.
staff were friendly with maybe one of the older men a little grumpy.
the cleaner came every day and on the third day in after one of her visits, we found 5 dead and dying cockroaches in the bathroom! she must have sprayed. this was a little bit of the damper for the rest of the week and made me uneasy but this is the only time i found them to be in the apartment. i also saw one outside and one in the restaurant....i guess this is to be expected due to the climate. i got the feeling they were doing their best to keep it under control.

the food at the complex wasnt great and i would recommend a restaurant upthe road next to the spar for food nearby and spar for shopping. other than that this place is less than a 5 euro taxi from play del inglas and maspalomas. for the nights yumbo and kasbah are great and of course for the day the free bus to the beach is a must. however, do not smile or say hi back to the african ladies on the walk from bus to beach...these are scam artists who want to slap a piece of string on your wrists and take all of your money. my partner and i were mugged in broad daylight! they wouldnt give me my money back, crowded me, blocked my partner and i from each other...it was horrible.... other than that our trip was a good one. we paid 126 euro for the week and it was well worth the money.

Room Tip: get the fan!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank K B
There are newer reviews for Bungalows Vista Oasis Apartments

Reviewed August 28, 2012

FANTASTIC!!!! And highly underrated. Unfortunately I booked this holiday before reading the latest spate of pompous reviews and was dreading it. On arrival it did appear I'd arrived at fawlty towers from outside. But then into reception it opened up to a very nice, comfortable looking hotel. I don't know if the other ignorant people bothered to actually read about the hotel or not but I clearly picked it because it was out of the way. I'd have gone to Blackpool if I'd have wanted all the nonsense. Nowhere was more than a 4 euro taxi ride away so If u did fancy something different it was there.
Now onto the bungalows. Absolutely beautiful looking, fantastic balcony and spacious accomodation. No bloody ants or cockroaches but then I am a clean person and am not stupid enough to leave food in a bin in a 40' country. I don't at home either due to ants. Also being two star and reading reviews I was expecting no cleaners...... Wrong!!! They were in every day!!! I found every negative review totally contradicted. Yeah the food was a Spanish attempt at most things but I guess they know what us Brits are like. But after flights my 7 days AI cost 130 each in middle of summer holidays, so bearing in mind how much I ate and drank and the gorgeous pool I am not bloody complaining. And if u don't like it eat out!!! It hardly broke bank!! I was bloody amazed they were brilliant. It's two star get over yourselves. U get way more than u pay for if yr not a snob. As for topless women around pool. I have never sunbathed topless in my life. But found the few women who did soo inoffensive I actually joined in lol. A very warm friendly hotel and we loved it. Ps. Croc about sunbeds too. We're several available all day just not reclining ones and u had to get it yourself... What a travesty!! Some people really need to check themselves. I've stayed in five star as good as this hotel. As for price it excelled all my expectations. Read the positive reviews, they are honest xx

• Stayed: August 2012
11  Thank Goldandelicious
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Where do I start? First of all I couldn't help but laugh at the fact it was so far away from everything. The grumpy lady at reception is so rude and not very helpful. When we got to our apartment we felt like we were in the inbetweeners movie, it was maybe worse. There is next to none kitchen appliances, it didn't smell great, our sofas were ripped quite badly, it may have been combiner sleeping on the floor as the beds were brick hard but you would have had to share it with many ants and other strange, frightening, huge insects. The bathroom was awful, the toilet was covered in urine and body hairs, the bath was filthy and broken with a very poor attempt at a paint job. We had a hole in our wall in the kitchen area which allowed gran canarias ant population into our apartment, I slept with my mouth shut in fear of eating a few hundred. There is no a/c or fans which is appalling in a country that hot. We never received any clean towels, the ones or arrivals didn't even seem clean. The pillows are non existant in terms of thickness, a sheet of paper may have been thicker. The pool area is average but is spoiled by the arrogant Spanish kids who are so inconsiderate and appear to have no parents. Another disgusting site at the pool is the amount of overweight(obese) middle aged women who insist on sunbathing topless, in skimpy thongs, some even swim topless around you. There was a couple of pool tables that were ripped and not exactly playable and the ping-pong table was infested by Spanish children who guarded it with their lives. The food is horrible, stale bread, pasta with no accompanying sauce, and over cooked veg. At a push the hot dogs were edible as a last resort. Although we were AI we never really ate but there wasn't much else on offer due to its ridiculous location. All in all a horrible holiday with the best part being the flight home. Please stay away, you will NOT enjoy it.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jamie B
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My family and I went to Vista Oasis in August 2012 and we did enjoy our holiday but I am not sure I would choose Vista Oasis again. It was advertised with my holiday search as being 40 minutes away from the airport, we were the last stop and it took just over an hour to get there. When arriving at the hotel we were happy with it as it was clean throughout and the layout seemed fine for us. We had a view of the sea from our balcony and the pool round the other side so I can't complain about the location of our apartment. As we arrived at 9pm we had not had dinner so went to the restaurant at the hotel which was okay but not the best. We went B&B and wish we had gone full or half board, only reason being that there was not a lot of choice in the area and the price of everything seemed more expensive than England prices! We were B&B so had our breakfast included but there was not a great option especially for children. There was scrambled egg every morning which tasted horrible so never had that, a choice of cereal (not much), yoghurt, toast and sometimes a pastry type thing that was the nicest thing there! The location of the hotel was about 5 (ish) miles away from the beach but there was a free bus which we took advantage of when we visited the beach twice on our stay. The pool itself was very clean and mostly we had a sun lounger but I swear that the Spanish people woke up early in the morning to put their towel down to reserve their place and left the towel there for the day even if they left the hotel, so we ended up doing this too to keep our places. The mini park there had a few things to play on but not much (maybe 3 different things!). The place was full of Spanish people and not many English people which I was slightly disappointed with as I was hoping our kids could play with other kids at the hotel to entertain themselves.! This hotel was okay but for the money we ended up spending on food (at the restaurant at the hotel and around) and the amount of Spanish people there (who make noise until about 1am in the morning) I can't say we enjoyed our holiday to the full.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Just got back from a week away, me, husband and 2 kids 9 and 7. Went all inc. as we thought it'd be easier for kids wanting drinks etc all day. The place was full of rude, arrogant, miserable spaniards who were in the main grossly obese and tattooed, with the woman wearing bikinis so small their rolls of fat hung over them making them look nude. No kids club, no air con. Waiting staff were on the whole friendly, reception lady not so. Went to breakfast first morning at 8am to find all of the sunbeds already taken. Apparently, all the spaniards put their towels out at 2am after management close the pool area at 8pm and take any towels away. The rest of us woke at 6/7am to take claim of any sunbeds that were left. Spanish kids shouting, screaming and running around whole hotel and bungalows until gone 2am each night - no signs of mama and papa taking control of their kids and bringing them into bed they seemed to take responsibilibity for themselves and do what they wanted. Spanish Kids bullied and harrassed the other kids. If the non spanish kids were playing pingpong or pool they would be surrounded and intimidated until they finally gave in and walked away. Into the third day Paco the Manager took control of the sunbed situation and no-one was allowed to put towels out until 8.30am each morning. If anyone did the towels were confiscated, so you need to be out at 8.28 and make a dash for your preferred seating area. Food was very poor especially breakfast, same everyday boiled eggs, frankfurters, scrambled, bread, rolls and cereal. Lunch ok, pizzas, chips, burgers, toasties etc. Dinner no taste, over boiled veg, chips (of course) and meat products which were depicted with a chicken, pig, cow or fish. We lived mainly on salads and kids had pizza and chips most of the time which is bad but at least they ate something. Overall, it was ok for a week,wouldnt go back though. Worse thing was definitely the screaming, rude spanish kids running riot to all hours. Bar shut promptly at 11pm and lights turned out. All bungalows seemed to have an ant problem and we had 2 single beds with sofas in living area, sheets and pillows were sparse. We survived without any dodgy tummies though. On the whole it was laughable.

1  Thank periwinkleStAlbans
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Got this cheap off the internet, using a similar strategy which has worked the last couple of years. This time it came unstuck and we ended up in this dreadful little hovel, populated mainly by the Hispanic answer to pikeys or tinkers. Ill-mannered staff (except the old boy on the main desk with glasses, he was OK). unspeakably bad food, much of which seemed to be recycled, a nifty line in genuinely unpleasant sausages and other dishes for which it was anyone's guess what was in them. Had te reprimand a group of noisy Spaniards at 3am, they were not kids or teenagers but men and women in their 30s and 40s. Complained to management who appeared to take no action. Grotesquely obese women who made Jabba the Hutt look small insisted on going topless around the pool, disgusting. A lot of inappropriate behaviour between some of them and the Speedo-clad wannabe torreadors in the pool as well. Entertainment hurried and mostly rubbish. Said there was a kids club, simply untrue. WHATEVER YOU DO......PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE. we saw the positive reviews so thought it'd be OK but now we think maybe those people reviewed an entirely different establishment. So yes it's cheap but it's like a 70s Carry On film, and not in a funny way. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

Room Tip: Go anywhere else but here!
Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank superelitetim
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Where to start? The worst holiday I've ever been on, especially in the Canaries!! Out in the sticks, awful entertainment 5 nights per week lasting 20-25 mins!!!! The bar closes at 11pm also, so if you are all inclusive, bear this in mind.
This place was full of false promises; NO KIDS CLUB, NO AIR CON, OR FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST although it clearly stated that it did. The wi-fi is located in reception only, subject to you getting a place to sit!! No English speaking personnel and extremely rude receptionist (Black haired Spanish lady approx 35yrs).

FOOD:

Breakfast
Apparently a full English is an option?! This is a Spanish attempt and consisted of tiny frankfurter sausages, boiled eggs, beans, sweaty/fishy scrambled eggs, with some stale bread thrown in for good measure and fried spam (which wasn't an option every day).

Dinner
Arrived just as dinner was closing so assumed very little was left, however as the holiday progressed it became apparent that they offered very limited choices - as in 1-2 dishes with a side of either rice/pasta or chips. Don't expect labelled dishes detailing which ingredients have been used, as a simple picture system is in place showing you which animal the food came from!!!

Oh, forgot to mention, you'll love this place if you like COCKROACHES or insects IN YOUR FOOD as I found out. Also don't trust what the sign says as I found pieces of fish (tuna) in my tomato pasta after being reassured that there was none in it.
We went half board and basically ate out or cooked our own in the end. If you are considering going self catering please remember to take a kettle and that there is no oven or toaster.

BUNGALOW
Crawling with ants, but they kept themselves to themselves and only walked along the side of the wall; the cockroaches however, are not so considerate, just remember they love warm places BUT they CAN and DO get into fridges and are particularly partial to toothbrushes (lots of decaying food left on them). If it's not sealed, can you be sure they haven't raided your food??

Very basic furnishings with a badly patched up bath and broken shower. The bungalow did have a lovely large patio though, so not all doom and gloom :)

NO CLEAN BEDDING THE ENTIRE TIME, we were there for 10 days and my other half being a man is a sweaty so an so. The towels were changed a couple of times though, so at least we could revel in that luxury. The shower/bath did have one or two hairs from previous occupants in it when we arrived although the bungalow gets swept daily and beds made.

Poolside etiquette
Apparently you are not allowed to reserve sun loungers, but as with most places, this rule is not enforced, so you can be sure that there will be none left by the time you go for breakfast (8am-10am) as most of the beds have towels on them from the evening before.
Expect lots of obese topless Spanish women walking around the pool/sunbathing in thongs being rude to 'foreigners'.
To be fair, the pool was quite murky, the nightly cleansing ritual consisted of an elderly gentleman throwing small amounts of chlorine powder into the various pools - not enough to actually clean it! I witnessed lots of spitting into the pool by the local lads, which was pretty gross, but they didn't seem to mind swimming in it!

Please bear in mind the Spanish culture as this place was populated with about 95% of these occupants; we were kept up until 3am most nights with middle aged adults and children as young as 2 running riot around the resort or raised voices talking in front of our window. Don't bother complaining as it falls on deaf ears, we were ultra polite to everyone at all times even though this was very testing and only complained once re the noise, but management turned a blind eye.

I was appalled by the attitude of both the Spanish adults and children towards other nationalities, my son was bullied by their children numerous times and I had to intervene on several occasions.

All in all, this was a waste of time and money, I personally could not wait to get home BUT the weather was fantastic and soared to 40 degrees for a few days.

Ps make sure that you get the free bus to the beach otherwise you'll probably end up on the nudist beach like we did - not a pleasant experience for a 7year old..........

Room Tip: Some bungalows have an additional garden attached to the end of the spacious patio, failing that, as...
2  Thank Mslovelylashes