“3* family hotel”

Ranked #61 of 220 Hotels in Maspalomas
MANCHESTER
“3* family hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Stayed all inclusive for one week over easter holiday, two couples in our 30s. You have to remember this hotel is 3* and not higher. For us the rooms were fine and we always got a sun lounger...although we did hover at 9am to grab a bed of choice and 4 together, personally I think this is a good system but the time should be earlier as it gets to summer.

Facilities were fine with lots of food and drink. I didn't think there was enough range of food in the restaurant and it wasn't hot enough for me. breakfast could've been better with minor changes like cooking eggs while you
Wait rather than lining up lots of fried eggs and serving hard luke warm ones. The coffee was machine stuff and not good and milk longlife. The snack bar was handy and you could get hot burgers and hotdogs as they were cooked in front of you.

The hotel is a little remote but taxis are cheap. There are a couple of shops outside.

A grumble we had was that towels weren't changed for 4 days and not even when we asked reception. Not sure whether you're supposed to leave them on the floor for them to be changed but we were reluctant to do this incase we were forced to use them again. Pillows are dire .... Roll up the blanket to put underneath or take your own! No air con or fan in room which wasn't a problem.

Staff were all friendly in the main. Pool could have been cleaner but the jacuzzi was great. It's a busy hotel and was getting busier when we left just a few days before easter, the hotel put out extra sunbeds and tables but it was getting quite hectic!
Any questions feel free to ask.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank manchesterlulu
Dunashotels, Director General at Dunas Mirador Maspalomas, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comment. Evaluations such as yours help us to maintain and improve the standards in our hotel continuously. Thank you very much.

Hope to welcome you back soon in our house.

Best regards,

Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
  • Polish first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

I came here in Apirl 2014 and i didnt think it was very good when i walked through the door. Reception staff were not very nice and sometimes they ignor you same as the bar staff. The Animation team were very very nice also fun to hang around with. The small pool was very durty and the slide was to small you got splinters on your hand by going down the Lifegurd was neather there and when he was he there he just didnt let us climp up the slide i know that he didn´t want us to get hurt but it said on the slide that you carn´t walk down the slide it neather said dont walk up it so we did walk up it instead of getting out of the pool and walking around while weting everybody in your footsteps, he carnt speak english really only the animation team can. no aircone in the rooms boling in the night. the night show was brillent by the animation team but its not really for kids. My room was next to the pool bar on the first floor and all you can here is the music form 6 to about 6 in the moroning and its hard to get some sleep. The restrant has the same food for lunch and dinner. Furthermore the small pool is extremly durty and to get the mini club you go down a long tunnol down and then the miniclub door is always open so if a 2 or 3 year old walks out without them knowing then they can carrie on walking down the tonnol and then it comes to the staff carpark witch is very very danigours and horrible men working down there vans down there anything could happen some people have to walk down there do get to there hotels rooms, iam 13 and i walked down there to get to the park and its scary as anything.

Room Tip: Rooms in B block are qutieter
Wigan, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Just returned from the Dunas Mirador which I had my reservations about after reading other peoples reviews. We were a family of four children aged 9 & 5 years.
The hotel was much larger than I expected it to be rooms clean as was the entire hotel and staff very friendly. The animation team were excellent providing entertainment during the day for children and adults.
Only caught the bus to the beach once which was no problem. Food was plentiful and they had chefs freshly carving meat and cooking fish.
The hotel is at the top end of the 3 stars and we had a lovely week there as a family!

1 Thank Stephanie162
Dear Dunas Mirador guest,

Thanks a lot for your comment. It is a pleasure to hear, that you enjoyed your holiday in our hotel.
We will pass on all your congratulations to our hard working staff.

We hope to see you again.

Kind Regards,

Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Just returned from a week AI at this hotel and had a very enjoyable holiday. The hotel exceeded my expectations of a 3*. Our room was large and very clean, (although lack of air conditioning in the summer may be a problem- a ceiling fan was fine in April!) the food was good, plenty of choice. The staff were always very friendly and helpful and the entertainment team was excellent with plenty of activities going on during the day and shows on a evening in the disco. The hotel is situated a good way from the beach and has very little around it, but we did use the free bus to go to the beach and back one day which works well. We also used a taxi (approx 4-5 euros each way) to visit Maspalomas one evening. All in all we had a very enjoyable, relaxing holiday and would certainly return again.

Room Tip: We were in Block D and the room was cooler because the sun didn't shine in the room ... but that...
1 Thank Barbara O
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing you experience with us.
I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and I will pass on your praise to our staff.

We are looking forward to see you in our Hotel again.

Kind Regards,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

We went here on the first week of the Scottish Easter holidays in April 2014. There were four adults, including my mother in law who has a bad knee, a 10 year old and a 4 year old.

We paid an extra supplement to have one family room but were put in a normal double room. When we questioned reception, we were offered a family room at the opposite end of the complex which wasn't very nice at all and was a down grade despite costing extra. We couldn't go there as mother in law needs assistance to walk and was in a double room. Do not pay for a family room in this hotel.

If you are a disabled person or a person with poor mobility this hotel is very unsuitable. There are only two public toilets for the entire large hotel. One at reception and one down two flights of steep stairs in the entertainment area at the opposite side of the complex. Also in an energy saving attempt, the lights in the toilets go off after one minute so I often found myself and my kids using the loo in pitch black as light switch is at entrance to toilet. One minute isn't enough and again was another annoyance. I watched many elderly and inform people struggling to get around. My 4 year old son fell 4 times and I also fell twice as tiles are so shiny and smooth and as soon as they get wet your going to lose your footing. One of the times, my son really hurt back of his head and I asked the receptionist where I could get ice. I speak Spanish and so there was no communication problems but she simply said she didn't know and showed no urgency or care. I then went into the restaurant and helped myself to Ice behind he bar. The barman here assisted me which is one of the only time I experienced warmth from staff.
The hotel is clean. The rooms are cleaned and tidied daily. However the entire pool and outside area is plagued with stray cats which beg for food and fight. I found this really unpleasant.

There is a good variety of food however plates, food and drinks constantly run out and the staff are not on cue to replenish it. I constantly had to ask for plates , cutlery, food and drinks to be replaced as there were forever ran out. In the restaurant there are no still drinks aside from water. For young children you are forced to offer them carbonated drinks as there's no fruit or diluting juice apart from at breakfast time. At the grill area I would say be very carefully. There is raw chicken being cooked right beside cooked chicken, using the same prong to touch both. The chef had the prong on the raw chicken then used this to put cooked chicken on plates.

There are a few members of staff who are friendly but the majority of them clearly hate their job and are rude and overworked. The pool bar area in particular was manned by staff who appeared annoyed that at inclusive customers and served customers who were half board or hadn't pre paid first. Every adult in my party stood ignored at the bar and had to complain to be served every single time. We ended up sitting in a bar outside the hotel and just paying for drinks so that we didn't have to experience the horrible manner of the staff.

The pool area is nice and my kids are strong swimmers. However for young kids and non swimmers you only have a tiny little baby pool which is extremely small. The rest of the pool is deep and at 5 foot 8, I could just stand up in it. Bizarrely, you are not permitted to sit on a sun lounger until 9am and will be given a row from the staff if you dare to do so. You are given a telling off if you attempt to move your sun lounger even slightly from the position its been placed in which is very unrealistic and restrictive.

The hotel is pretty isolated but shuttle bus will take you to the beach which we did. We had several items stolen including clothing, sun glasses and pool toys. This may be simply due to a horrible guest who happened to be staying there but I would take extra care if at this hotel.

Our flight home was at 9pm at night and check out was 11am. As soon as we checked out the receptionist snipped our all inclusive wrist bands off and told us not to use the facilities. I understand that in theory this is air enough however we go on holiday 3 times a year and have never had our bands removed. All hotels we have stayed in allow you to continue to use the facilities until you actually leave that day. When we complained they were very rude and actually chased my partner who was using the toilet at time of check out to remove it from his wrist.

Entertainment was awful. We booked this as it had a mini disco and a kids club. Mini disco lasts only 25 mins, lots of stairs to access and kids club was basically a crèche where kids go in a room and colour in or play Lego. There's no structure to it at all. My experience of kids clubs is that there are structured, exciting events throughout the day for them but as I say its a crèche and shouldn't be labeled as a kids club. One of the days out of the week they hosted a mini club picnic where the kids all sat at a table and ate fruit and juice together but again there was no element of structure, games or imagination. Twice I had to remove the kids from the evening entertainment. The staff put little on lie chairs out for the kids to watch after the mini disco but it was in really bad taste and left my kids asking me awkward questions. I left when a 'comedy' showed girls dressed up as prostitutes wearing price tags around their necks acting out a drama that they were touting for customers. I also left during a dance night where staff were dressed as police officers and pretended to be battering a dancer to a pulp. It just wasn't suitable for all the little kids who were sat watching it and it was also seedy.

I am generally a laid back easy pleased person and rarely complain about hotels or holidays as my family make the most of being together and the sunshine but this really wasn't a nice hotel with too many problems and unpleasant staff. Pay a little extra and get yourself a nicer hotel with better facilities if you can stretch to it as this hotels not nice.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Laura T

Travelers are raving about these Maspalomas hotels

Castleford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

Think some of the reviewers went to a completely different place to us. We had a great relaxing week. Staff were friendly and very helpful. No, we didn't have air conditioning, but so what! It is 3 star hotel not 4 or 5. We felt it was very good value. Plenty of choice food wise.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Muvver57
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comment. It is a pleasure to hear, that you enjoyed your holiday in our hotel.

We would be very happy to welcome you again on the island of Gran Canaria.

Kind regards,

Hvolsvöllur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

We came here the 13th of march, not expecting much from reading some of the reviews, but boy, were we happy here!
We stayed for two great weeks..... didn‘t want to leave though!
This was the best romantic getaway ever!

We arrived and were given a great room in the B building, top floor, so we had the sun all day long. It was so cozy, clean and comfortable. The maids did a great job cleaning every day.

The food was good, different food every night, with random themes.

We loved fighting for the best sunbeds in the morning, great start of the day!
The swimning pool is great. We both love to swim and it was the perfect lenght for that exercise. We expected it to be freeeeeeezing according to so many reviews. But, the thing is, it‘s not colder than any other pool in the whole Island. It was so nice to cool down, in this perfect tempature. If you need a warmer pool, there is a small one next to the big one, wich is heated. So enjoy!

We enjoyed the free bus to the beach, but it would be good to annonce that it goes to Maspalomas beach, not the Playa Inglés, wich was fine though, because Maspalomas beach has less traffic and is really nice.

Now, about the animation team! Du du duuuuu...!!!
We enjoyed every single activity they offered and the Animation team worked really hard to keep everyone entertained, wich we were, day and night. We immediately connected with the team and they showed us a great time.
We do miss Walentin, Matej, Eva, Niek and Barbara though very much and would have stayed longer if possible because of them.
One thing they are missing though, they could really use some new gadgets, such as rifle, bow, dartboard, e.t.c. wich they deserve. They do their best with their old stuff, but it would be so much easier for them and everyone if they had working equiptments, wich would make the activities faster.
So please, hotel management people, give these hard working entertainers the equiptments they need.
We had such fun waching the mini disco and shows in the nighttime and seeing the children having such fun with the animation team. It‘s so good to have entertainments for kids too.

What is worth mentioning also, is that in the same building as the hotel, they have pharmacy and a SPAR supermarket, so you didn‘t have to go far to get what you needed. And there is also a fine little mall behind the hotel, wich at least one of us loved! ;)

So thank you Dunas Mirador for such a great time.

We recommend this hotel to everyone and want to say that this hotel is not only just for couples like us, it‘s also great for families.

Ómar & Iðunn

Room Tip: B building for sure!! Top floor is the best! You have the sun all day long. You wont regret it.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank OmarSmari
Dear Dunas Mirador guest,

thank you very much for your comment on TripAdvisor. It is a pleasure to hear, that you really enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

We will pass on all your congratulations to our hard working staff. We really appreciate your recommendation.

Best regards