“Great Hotel”

Ranked #56 of 220 Hotels in Maspalomas
Kent
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

HOTEL: Stayed here in the October school holidays. This was our first time to Gran Canaria. On our arrival, which ended up being 4am due to delays at Gatwick, we were quickly booked in at reception by a nice chap, got to our room and fell into bed. When we woke up, we realised what a really nice room we had. Plenty of room. Very clean. A nice little balcony overlooking one of the pools. The bathroom was big and that too very clean. We were on the 2nd floor.

FOOD: Never experienced this before but we had to queue to get into Breakfast and Dinner.
(we were half board) I was not over impressed with the food but I think that was because we were there on probably one of the busiest weeks. The restaurant was packed solid and we had to wait for tables to become available. There was plenty of food to choose from, from cereal to cheese to cooked breakfast, but I just was not over keen on how it was layed out. By the time I got back to the table with my eggs and bacon, they were cold. Again the same thing at Dinner.

HOTEL SURROUNDING: Lots of swimming pools to choose from, but my god you had to get up early to sit where you wanted. There was a pool that had a man made beach. It was more like cat litter but really nice and clean. I am afraid to say that by the end of the week I got fed up of not being able to sit round the pool and did something I have never had to do or like doing, but I had to get up early and put my towel on a sunbed then go for breakfast.

All in all, I we had a really good week. It is about a 20 minute walk into town. Lots of shops and nice designer shops to look round. A taxi back to the Hotel was only about 3 euros.
Also just to say, although we went in the holidays, we did not experience kids running up and down the corridors as other reviews have mentioned. We will go back to Maspolomas Princess one day to this Hotel as it was lovely, but just not in the school holidays!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Enacasil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

Went 2 adults to Maspalomas Princess for the second time. Went November 2012 and again this November 2013.

Room:
Ok. Not changed since last time - except a bit more run down and in need of renovation. Wooden floor outside bathroom was ruined by water and needed to be changed.

Garden and pool:
Still lovely garden with lots of palmtrees and enough sun chairs and sweet cats. Kept very clean.

Restaurant:
We had paid for breakfast and dinner (with drinks). Be ware that drinks are not included in hald pension at dinner in the wintertime. Though it is not stated on Star Tour website for the hotel.

Massage;
It is possible to get a massage at the hotel. It is 65 Euro for 60 min full body massage or for 2 people 130 euro. Ursula, the german masseuse is very good. However, we found a place at Meloneras beach where it is possible to get the same for 30 Euro or for 2 people 50 Euro. So much much cheaper!! We saved 80 Euro.
My husband and I went both places. My husband thougt the place on Meloneras beach was better than at the hotel. I thought it was good both places and that they had different strengths. However in the future I will go to Meloneras Beach since we can get massage 3 times both of us for 150 Euro. At the hotel it is 130 Euro for one time for both of us.

Maspalomas beach:
Lovely place and love to run on the promenade between 7 and 9 am in the morning and walk in the afternoon and evening and se the sunset. Beautiful and romantic. There are many restaurant where you can sit and enjoy a drink Whole looking at the ocean and the surfers. There are also many shops so if you have money to spend.

We walked a couple of times from the hotel to Maspalomas beach and then followed the promenade all the way to Meloneras beach. Very nice too and less people. There are also a few shops.

Would we go back again? We some people who was there for the 8th time and so on. Maybe we will come back in a few years but we need to see a new place in the world next time.

Room Tip: Facing pool area is best so you can enjoy the beautiful garden from your balcony.
stockport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

My partner and I have just returned from a fantastic 10 days stay at Maspalomas Princess.Having read previous reviews,some stating excellent,some stating ordinary,we weren't sure how this place was going to turn out.In nearly every category,I have to say it met and in most cases exceeded our expectations.Food was great,both breakfast and evening meal.We both put on a few extra pounds for sure!Some reviews state litle variety and although this could be said for breakfast,surely there is only so much a breakfast can be!Every morning there was a choice of several variations of continental style cold meats,croissants,various breads,fruit etc.or you could opt for the more traditional bacon eggs-omelette,scrambled,fried-,sausages,beans,mushrooms.There was even the choice of pancakes if desired.
Evening meals we found to be excellent,with several choices of mains changing on a nightly basis.
Our room was a good size,clean and roomy.Powerful over the bath shower in the good sized bathroom.Be prepared though that if youv'e asked for a double bed you will probably find it's 2 singles pushed together,something we have encountered sevaral times in Europe,especially Spain!
The hotel staff were all friendly,those on the reception being very helpful and knowledgeable,definitely more so than our travel reps,who were ok,but lacking on certain local aspects.
I have to say that there were quite a few Scandinavian couples with children,but we never saw any bad behaviour or screaming from any of them.There are 2 pools suitable for young chidren which we were quite happy to relax by and all the kids were kept well in control by their parents.In fact it was lovely to see families enjoying themselves as I'm sure we have all done ourselves in the past.There is also an excellent,very long,meandering third pool which is more suitable for adults and you will always find a sun lounger to relax on,there are hundreds of them!
As other reviews have stated,you do have to pay for the safe and fridge in your room.However,we kept our valuables locked in our suitcases and the fridge was unlocked on arrival so we used that for free for our ten day stay.There is also a charge for WI-FI,but I suspect most people,like ourselves,go on holiday to get away and unwind and forget about computers etc.for a while.
We found it took about 25 mins to walk to the beach area of Maspalomas which has some nice cafe bars,shopping centre and supermarket all to hand.Many people do this walk and for once we never were pestered by time share sellers during our stay.We did encounter some African ladies who appeared to be selling something,but when they ask you where you come from,just say Estonia or somewhere similar in a deep voice and they'll leave you alone!
The only downside we found was that after the evening meal,my partner and I like to have a bit of a walk,hopefully finding a nice bar to have a beer or wine in before retiring for the night.Unfortunately,there is nowhere nearby to do this other than going into another hotel complex or the golf club,so we never bothered.We did decide to walk the 25 mins.to Maspalomas beach area one evening,but whereas during the day there are always plenty of people doing this walk,the evening we went there wasn't a soul about until we reached the beach.It was a bit eerie and although we never came across anybody who looked remotely threatening,it was still a little off putting to feel so isolated.
We met several British people who had stayed here before,one couple 16 yrs.on the trot,and to be honest,I'm not surprised this hotel has people coming back to it.
To sum up it is a lovely,clean,safe,spacious place to stay,with really good food and friendly,courteous and knowledgeable staff.The location wasn't the best for us,but I suppose we could have used the taxis which are more often than not parked in the hotel car park and are very reasonable.
One other tip,use the local buses which stop outside the hotel if going to Las Palmas or Puerto Mogan and save yourself a few bob compared to the extortionate tour rep organised excursions,that's if you can follow the timetables obtained at reception!
And yet another tip,other reviews have stated that if your room is on the ground or first floors then they could possibly be noisy from the music in the piano bar.When we booked with Thompsons we were asked for any room preference and so we stated as high as possible.The hotel has three floors above ground level and we were locate on the second floor which was soudproof !
We would definitely return to this hotel again even though the British are in the minority here.

1 Thank shadowfish
Derby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Just arrived back from a weeks stay at this hotel from 16-23rd November. The Hotel was clean but if you want a nice relaxing peaceful break avoid this hotel like the plague.Yes even in mid November it was half full of screaming young Scandinavian children. They were running down corridors early in the mornings. Well the restuarant at breakfast time was a joke. It was more like Butlins holiday camp with children running around and making further noise.The parents or indeed the hotel staff did nothing at all to prevent this behaviour. I am was not alone with annoyance with this situation as a number of British couples vowed not to return to this hotel.

We were on the gound floor with a balcony view, well if you not see the wood for the trees!! I was informed there was a swimming pool some where the other side.

The food as one would expect for buffet meals was rather the same each day with little variation both for breakfast and evening meal.

As previous reviews have indicated, nothing is free. If you want to use the rooms safe and fridge it will cost you 13.50 Euros each per week. If you want to use Wi-Fi it will cost you. If you want to check the weight of your suitcase for the flight home, there is a scale in the lobby but it will cost you 1 Euro a time. Overall this hotel gave poor service

2 Thank JSTEX51
Widnes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Me and my boyfriend have just come home after spending a week here, hotel is lovely, rooms modern and clean, food was great had different themed nights which we enjoyed. Breakfast was everything you could possibly want for your breakfast. Although hotel is slghtly out of the way its only 4-5 euros into Playa de ingles and 3-4 euros to the beach. My only moan about this hotel was the reception staff were pretty hopeless, didn't tell us where anything was or give us any information regarding the hotel when we checked in, we also had a bit of a nightmare with a screaming child next door to our room (we were woken up 10 times in one night!!) I went to reception and asked to be moved, man said he couldn't do anything then as all rooms were full but he would see what he could do and get back to me, obvcourse I didn't hear anything back! Night time entertainment was good and drinks were priced pretty much as you would expect for a four star hotel. Would return to Gran Canaria but I would stay in a different hotel next time.

Great Malvern, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

I was a little apprehensive about this hotel as we booked last minute and I'm normally more of a self catering apartments kinda person but I had nothing to worry about.
For a very small fee when booking the hol we upgraded our room and what we got was fabulous! Huge room, huge bed, huge bathroom and huge balcony with table and chairs and 2 sunbeds, dressing gowns and slippers were also provided.
The pools were amazing, massive and never too crowded although we were there in October so I imagine Summer hols would be quite busy.
The fake beach is a lovely effect, I've read some reviews on here saying its nothing like real sand but what do you expect and it was totally comfortable to walk on.
Th pool bars were great with goof selection of snacks and cold drinks,
The food was what I was most impressed with, I think when you go all inclusive or half board and have food mass produced on a grand scale generally I don't expect it to be anything special but it was great! The breakfast especially was amazing, anything and everything u could imagine was available from full English too continental, loads of different fruits, yoghurts, biscuits, cereal, cakes, boiled eggs, toasts, crackers, rolls, cheeses, meats, literally everything and it all tasted amazing and was hot and kept fresh constantly. The eve meals were again lovely, lots to choose from, they generally had a fish dish, meat dish and then veg with potatoes, chips etc, meat was always cooked perfectly and again everything was hot and fresh.
The evening entertainment was good, if we had taken our children with us they would def have loved it and for adults it was good to,. The cocktails were AMAZING but expensive, I'm not gonna complain about this cus personally I expect to pay that for a cocktail (6 euros 50) but we did spend about £200 in a week on them!!!!!
The hotel and our room was always spotlessly clean and I would reccomend this hotel to anyone wanting a relaxing week away where you don't want to venture out a lot as for me the resort wasn't anything special at all although the beach was nice and not as windy as I had expected.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank LisamarieHardy
Cheshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Just returned from this hotel - couldn't really find too much to criticize except for the usual relatively minor points. This is a large hotel so inevitably it can lack some of the more personal feeling of a much smaller one. That said, most of the staff encountered were pleasant, polite & courteous - perhaps with the odd exception of a couple of reception people. Some did struggle a little with their English - but hey-ho it is Spain and not the UK. We stayed half board - food was fine/ok/not bad - range of food a little limited but the quality & presentation was fine. Restaurant has a strict 'long trousers/jeans only' for the men - overall it was well organised, clean, airy etc. Bedrooms were of a good size, clean and well serviced. However be warned - use of in room safe is 13 Euros - but here's a tip - before you pay try your room card in it first. We did - and it worked!!
Externally there is a large nice varied pool area - lots of sunbeds so no need for 'beach towels at dawn' - pool towels are provided but cost 1 euro if you want to change them (enviro measure we were told!).
Location - good reasonably quiet - nice 15 min walk down to the beach and the resort of Melonaras where there is lots of nice bars & up market shops and the light house. If you're feeling very brave it is about 800 km along to the nudist beach - so be warned if you don't want a nasty shock as you walk along towards Player del Ingles on the beach!! Sand dunes are also very nice - but we were warned to be wary of what goes on within!!
Taxi's are very cheap and plentiful as are buses should you fancy venturing a little further afield. Might not be a bad idea at night as the hotel entertainment was a bit 'holiday camp' - but hey no one says you have to endure it, do they?
Overall would recommend this hotel to families if you want a relaxing sun bathing type break.

Room Tip: Most rooms seem to have small balconies - request an upper floor room though as larger trees can mak...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends