“joes not all hes cracked up to be” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kiwi Bungalows

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maspalomas
Kiwi Bungalows
Ranked #14 of 21 Maspalomas B&B and Inns
ireland
“joes not all hes cracked up to be”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2009

I found "Joe" the super human barman, according to some of the reviews to be an ignorant horibble person who shows no interest in anybody unless theyre up his jacksie! If you're English and willing to spend lots of money in his bar!!! He'll suck around you like a leech. Besides that clown i really enjoyed the kiwi and the surrounding area. The only time we were there though was when we were sleeping.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Business
scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2009

Having just returned from the Kiwi bungalows in the last week of Nov, I have to say that I had a great time. I went to study for an exam in the sun and maybe huntdown a piece of skirt or two.

The bungalows are basic, but a holiday they are ok, as I did not intend cooking a 5 star meal. You have a kettle, toaster, 2 pans, one for each electric rung. Cutlery and a knife. If you have more than 2 of you staying there then you might struggle as there is not much storage space.

The maid service is a bit hit and miss as I made my own bed in the morning and it was never remade or changed. As far as I could see she did not do much. The second week I recieved no loo rools at all which was very annoying.

The gardens are kept very tidy and are very lush and colourfull,a alongside the small but lovley pool. I never used the pool as I prefer beach and sea and only used the kiwi as a base. Leaving at 0900 and returning at 1830ish. I never used the poolside bar as It was full of english watching soaps and football and that is what I,ve come to avoid.

The barman seemed friendly enougth and the price for a large beer was 2.80 I think which was reasonable. Do avoid rooms 3,4, 5,6, 38,39 and 40 as they are overlooking and right next to the bar (literaly) so you will never get a moments peace. Go for a quiet spot at the rear then you have a choice to either join them or escape.

As for cockroaches, I only saw one in two weeks, though I did keep my plugs in the plugholes when not in use. Plenty of friendly but stray cats walking around.

The supermarket prices are pretty much the same as here as long as you avoid the the well known or English brands which are half as much again.

The location is great. 30 mins walk to the beach, 20 mins to the heart of playa del ingles and the yumbo ( an extra 8 min walk will take you to CC Cita centre (tattier version of the Yumbo, this is where all the swingers clubs are if you are interested )

Even if you are in staying in playa ingles it will be a 15min walk to the beach. The playmar supermarket is 2 mins walk from Kiwi, which is cheaper than Faro 2. Turn left when leaving Kiwi and you will end up there.

Some nice restaraunts are to be found all over, but more upmarket is down at costa melonares (at maspalomas beach) this is the only resort on the beach and 30min walk from Kiwi. Very much more upmarket but more pricer too. 4.00 for a beer, ouch!

Other than Melonares, most restaurants are ok pricewise and between 5.50 - 7.50 for a main meal. DONT let those thieving old grannies in the beach kiosks rip you off. It is only 2.50 for a large beer even in the nude kiosks, they will let you pay 3.50 if you are not aware. Also, why i,m on the subject of been ripped off, DONT, DONT, DONT whatever you do is pay for the inflight food ( thats if you fly with Thomas Cook ) it is dogsh*t, complete and utter [--]. Yuk and puke in a plastic tray. £15 !!! use the £7.50 each way to spend at the airport eaterys. You have been warned.

The whole place is mainly german or dutch which is ok as they get rude and naughty on the beach which is always a giggle. Dissapointing for me though, is that most 80% of folk are so old. nearly all over 50, never seen so many zimmers on the beach !

Would I recomend ? yes I would, great resort if you are not planning on much other than the sun. The Kiwi is basic and maid service a bit iffy, but its ok for a week or two. The tv by the way if you want to use it is 1.00 for an hour and the safe is 15.00 a week. The reception staff are friendly if you need their help.

As for the skirt, Yes the old charm worked its magic, though it took me good duck shoot to find anything without a heart by-pass !

Enjoy.

Scats. x

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2009

have just returned from a great holiday at the kiwi. I have been on so many holidays before, but this one must be classed as one of the best. The apartments were basic, but adequate for the purpose I wanted them for. There were 4 of us in the apartment, very little storage space, but a kettle, toaster, two ring hob, fridge, continuous hot water... what more can you want from an apartment complex. It was very secure with a key required to enter and exit. The weather was fantastic, the poolside beds had a foam mattress, the pool was quite big, although freezing cold. Most of the bungalows had a poolside view and all had their own sun beds outside on the patio. The maid service could've been better. We had our towels changed twice within the week, but our bed linen wasn't changed at all, and with having no air conditioning in the apartment it got quite stuffy at times. We ended up emptying our own bins and mopping our own floor! I know everyone mentions the barman "Joe". But he really does deserve it. He runs the whole place. He greeted us on our arrival and wished us a safe journey on our return home. We had several meals at the kiwi, and I have to say that all were absolutely fantastic. The steaks were fabulous. Joe has one day off in the week (Thursday) and he deserves it. Why no-one else can't cover for him is beyond me, but the place is dead when he's not there. My children met up with other kids whilst there and have remained in contact with them on their return. There is a shopping centre very closeby, but a lot of the shops have unfortunatley closed down, the supermarket there is also very expensive, but if you go to others within the area, you'll get a much better deal. I would love to go back to the kiwi, but have been told that it is being sold and there's no more bookings on these apartments from March 2010. I would like to wish Joe well on whatever happens in his future career

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ipswich,suffolk,england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2009

just got back from a week at kiwi,it is so sad for us as we have been going there for 10yrs and have had some realy good times,they are selling of the bungalows off to spanish, so looking for somewhere new, close to faro,we had a wonderfull week and made some realy good friends,carol,john.marie,nevell and joyce,hope they all keep intouch,joe is fantastic and we will miss him,we have some good memories of our hols there.thomas cooks contract finish in feb 10,so beware if you have booked after then. it seems like the end of a era we will miss kiwi so much,but the sun always shines in gran carnaria,we love it,except for when it rains?(thats not much)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bez&vin
cumbria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

Just arrived back and i must say Joe is a legend, I read all the comments on this man and thought no man can be this good but Joe is everything and more.

Really saddened i cant revisit as the Kiwi is being sold off individually.

Leanne the Thomas cook rep is also a legend, she is what all reps should be

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
edinburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

we were told by thomas cook that it was on two floor and near the beach but it was nothing like that , if you are going with kids or more then 2 people there is only 2 beds. No bedsete its like a matress on a concret bass that could move which means you could fall of,
the bath looked like theres been a hole and filled in.
The bar man when we went did not understand english very well, and was closed both thursdays we were there , but the day we left was a great guy called jo we wish he was there for the two weeks.
The swimming pool was not very clean that much so that a few people took ill with being in the pool . abit cleaner on the last day
the reception did not always have somone on
around the complex had a fence with bardwire on top

• Stayed July 2009
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank aaronking1988
Stevenage
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2009

Just come back from Kiwi bungalows yesterday. 11 of us went all together. (for a week) 7 adults, 2 teenagers,2 children age 7 and 4. Had a fantastic holiday. Bungalows basic but everything we needed. Clean but towels in bathroom not very nice!! Bit smelly even though were supposed to be clean. Pool very clean, lovely gardens, 11 of us got a sunbed easily every day and didn't have to rush to put towels on them!!! Had a lovely full english breakfast at the bar cooked by Joe, gorgeous!!!!! Faro 2 shopping centre 5 minutes walk with various places to eat. and shops. Bought some lovely jewellery.Lovely food everywhere we ate!!! Didn,t want to come home. Weather was fantastic. Would definitely go back again!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family