“Be prepared”

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Be prepared”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I had the opportunity to play the Salobre South Course this week and, overall, it was a great experience.

Salobre boasts 2 x 18 hole course, The North and the South. I played the South course having been advised by several people not to play the North. The reason for this is that (a) the North course is under renovation and only has 9 holes open and, more importantly, (b) because the layout of the North course makes it very difficult to play (one person said, whatever your handicap, you have to be very lucky to keep the ball on the fairway because they all slope so much). So, the South course it was.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. A lovely course - challenging without being a killer; some interesting holes; well maintained and some great views. I went round in 3 under my handicap (and would have done even better if I had had a decent putter) so no wonder I enjoyed it!

The downside (hence the 'Be Prepared' title) - the Pro Shop were a little 'stuffy' (e.g. wanting to know if I had played before, what my handicap was, etc.). I don't mind this but, I then went on the course and saw some of the people hacking their way around (and was able to observe this from the hotel we were in) - why ask about handicaps when they obviously do not care who plays the course. Some of the golf I saw was worse than you see on Corporate Golf Days (and you will know what that means if you are a keen or serious golfer!). They even allowed one group to go around as a 5 ball.

I did not take golf shoes because they do not like players to wear spikes on the course (it tears up the turf). So I went in trainers and got told off in the Pro Shop, "but we will let you wear them this once!". Given that the course was not very busy you would think they would welcome the custom and that trainers would not be an issue. If you go - take golf shoes (ideally without spikes).

I also hired clubs. This was not cheap and yet the hire clubs were really poor - tatty, old, not clean, poor quality. Even the bag looked very old and battered. Given what they are charging (I think it was 35 Euros for club hire) I expected a lot better - very disappointing! If you go - take your own clubs.

I did not have a lesson but I was told that the pro was very good.

Overall, once I had got past the Pro Shop and the poor clubs, it was a really great day and a lovely course to play. I do recommend it - just 'be prepared' for the staff in the Pro Shop!

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Stuart N

Auchterarder, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 141 helpful votes
“Par Excellence”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I took a lesson with Flavio the pro, and enjoyed it so much booked another( on the South course: there are two courses). Lovely course (North and South) next to Sheraton Solobre Hotel (part of complex now). This is a must return to! Flavio is a great ambassador for the group.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank iris m
Wokingham
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Lovely Courses”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Played the south course and was tricky but not too hard, lovely day out with excellent golf, the north course loooked fun too.
Not for high handicappers ( 24 plus men )

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Ken H
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Stunning and exclusive”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Unlike the other 5 Star Hotels in the South of the island, this one is alone and away from the beach area. It is a different and special experience, perfect for a quiet breakaway with someone special. The hotel itself is stunning. If you play golf (I do not) there is a golf course right next to the hotel. I would recommend renting a car if you are staying at the Sheraton.

1 Thank Percy C
Scotland
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Golf in the sun”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Having played the old south course a number of times at Salobre we thought we would play the new north course........ Hubby plays off 2 and I am 12 handicaps ....one of the worst courses I have played. lost so many balls and we hit them straight !!!!! far too hilly very bad design for the last 3 holes criss cross over each other and no safe place to protect from stay tee shots... Not very well thought out.
the old club house is still there but you have to go all the way from there round the road for about 2 miles to get to a shack to pick up buggy as the courses have been turned around for some strange reason. Wouldnt go back to play here. the only good thing is you can now take buggies on the course instead of cart paths.

Visited December 2012