“Never again! We have never seen such unfriendly waiter”
Review of El Senador

El Senador
Ranked #205 of 683 Restaurants in Maspalomas
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2014

In February 2014 we were guests of our restaurant El Senador in Maspalomas, let me say, we tried to be it.

We were two and chose a table for two, in the shaddow. The waiter came soon, put the menu card on our table and went away. He didn't look to us, he didn't have any time to say "Buenos dias" or something else. I don't know his name. He looks a little George Clooney, but really only a little bit. Both of us were a little bit confused about such a behaviour.

I'm very tall (2 m), so that I put my chair a little bit backwards. Another (friendly) waiter saw this and puts a chair behind me away, so that there was enough space for me and the rest of everyone in the restaurant.

Then the first waiter came back. He put the chair back behind me and told me (he didn't ask) to put my chair forward. He said that there would be not enough space to walk through. I told him, that I'm tall and that it is uncomfortable for me to but my legs under the table. He offered me another table which I refused because I didn' want to sit in the sun. I explained this to him.

The waiter insisted pushing my chair forward. He added that he don't want to wound himselves walking behind me!

So I turned my chair a little bit, giving space behind me to put my legs beside the table. Again the waiter didn't accept this.

We are on holiday and I didn't want to have any trouble, especially for my wife, who was confused and ashamed about the behaviour of your waiter, so I put my chair under the table. We ordered our drinks and dicided not to take lunch in your restaurant.

I don't know, if you can image how nice it was at this moment to be our guest. We decided to taske our drink and never come back again.

During this two english people sit down beside us. It was the same waiter who offered a table to the new guests. These two were waiting for about 10 minutes to give their offer. No chance. The waiter didn't came back. The english people left our restaurant without any service, without any drink. Shortly we talked to them about our service.

During the next minutes it seemed to funny and satisfactoring for the waiter to cross behind me and touch my body.

Same minutes before we asked the waiter to pay. Do you think he said "Yes, Sir, I will came soon" or something else? He smiled. He smiled like a little boos who has nothing in his poor life than to ride your guests.

So we had to wait. During waiting another couple came and took a seat at another table. The waiter came soon and commanded them to change the table in a manner that we can't believe. The reason: They sat down at a table for four; they were instruceted to take a table for two. Let me add that not a third of the tables are in use in the restaurant.

All together we waited for our bill 15 minutes! Then, at long last, we could leave your restaurant and your "service".

Maybe you can understand, that it caused me to laugh, reading our slogan "...not only ... a friendly service...". I'm comparing your behaviour to the slogan of a famous shipping company "Say never 'No'!".

You are discussing with your guests, you let your guests wait, until they leave your restaurant, you don't offer a service, you are giving orders, you are operating your restaurant like a factory with the primary purpose to make money, I think.

3  Thank Hans_MeierM_nchen
There are newer reviews for El Senador

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Every year we come back to this restaurant, at least once. Its location, just by the beach of Mas Palomas, east of the lighthouse draws lots and lots of guests. The Place is divided into several parts, two sections with sunbeds, one upstairs for those without clothes and downstairs for the rest of us. Here, bar service is also available. Then there is a bar section, hugely popular!! Furthermore a cafeteria style restaurant part which takes up a lot of space and then, the "real" restaurant with white table cloths, Indoors or outdoors under roof. The latter is our choice. Many Reviews speak about the horrendous service. And yes, it can be. It took us years to learn how to deal with it, or them. It is an advantage that we speak almost fluent Spanish, no doubt. But the few waiters and waitresses have lots of clients to deal with and usually hurry around. Most do not smile, but some do, especially when you yourself smile and speak their language. Remember, we are in Spain, you can't expect everyone to speak English or German? Or? That said, we agree service is not normally great, but this particular visit it was!! We have some favourites on the menu that we nearly always order but this was the first time we ordered fish (called Lubina) baked in salt. Didn't want it with creamed spinach and no objection from the waiter to change it into lightly boiled, salted and buttered vegetables that were fantastic. Really! Fish itself was absolutely great, and on our list of top 20 fish experiences (and we live by the sea in Sweden so we've had a few). Starters were good, too, but them we knew before. A very decent Albariño wine from Galicia made our day complete! Please try to be tolerant as to the service, you might get a better experience than you expect if you lower your expectations somewhat... ;-)

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Sunny, beautiful place. Staff was great, though there were couple of girls who didn't speak spanish, but because they were not from spain. Their english wasn't good either, but lovely anyway. We order a lot of food and everything was delicious! The music was also great! The head chef came and sang a couple of songs! Superb! Never seen that in my life, he was great!:) overall, great place! Pricy yes but understandable because of the location.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Can here with my friend on our day off to have lunch and sunbathe.
We selected 2 random sunbeds and got ourselves settled. 15 minutes later a member of staff (a large dark women) came over to us and ubruptly in Spanish told us to move as these beds were reserved! Not even a hello! Luckily my friend understands spanish and could translate what she was saying. There were plenty of empty sunbeds around us and no sign indicating these 2 were reserved. She pointed to 2 empty beds down the bottom and told us very rudely to go down there. The women then followed us and threw 2 ten euro tickets at us and demanded the money which we paid. Not even a thank you!

Will not be coming back here again and considering we work for a very large UK tour operator we will defiantly not be recommending the place to any of our customers!

1  Thank Hayloft15
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I guess that if you are reading this, there's a 99% chance that you're a tourist. :-)

And a 99.99% chance that you are from somewhere other than the Spanish mainland. :-)

In which case this may well be the restaurant for you. English and German clients seemed well pleased.

Coming from the mainland, it was disappointing to us, as we (foolishly, foolishly) thought that we would get the sort of food that you'd get in a similar establishment in, say, the province of Malaga or Cadiz. :-(

But, of course, it was Spanish food altered for foreign tourists - and quite right too, since they are the main clients.

Its position is excellent, with one entrance (with a beautiful display of cactuses) on the road parallel to the beach, and the other opening on the beachfront boardwalk. You can sit there, in shade or sunning yourself, and watch everyone promenading along, follow the antics of the surfers, see the sun going down in a blaze of colour.

And, at tourist prices, you can get tourist versions of Spanish food.

We were tempted in while passing by seeing little earthenware dishes with prawns - looked like Gambas al ajillo - we really fancied that! So in we went.

But when they came, the gambas (very few in number for the price) were swimming in cheap oil - not lovely olive oil - with slices of garlic and chillies. What's wrong with that, you might ask?

The dish was totally tasteless because in my view the garlic and chillies had not been cooked in the oil, infusing it and the prawns with their flavour, but had instead been pre-prepared earlier in the day in large amounts, and then just added to the dish as it was served.

No bread was provided. That was not the disaster it would have been in Southern Spain, where you'd want the bread to dip into the lovely, garlic-and-chilli-infused olive oil. The cheap oil (colza?) that they used you wouldn't want to mop up. The rest of the food was similarly not what we had hoped to have, I'm afraid.

And the sangria was served with fancy twizzles. Just ready for the tourists. :-)

3  Thank Turista-Inglesa