“Quite good... but expensive as everything in this land”
Review of Scandic Alvik

Scandic Alvik
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Bromma
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Good hotel - meets all expectations. The styling is a bit on the strange side but I suppose it's part of the Scandinavian chic. The staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good. Free internet. The location is not great but ok (reasonably short ride from the center by taxi). Also they have free parking, which is nice.

All said, however, I cannot call this place a value for the money. But perhaps this comment is more applicable to Stockholm as a whole...

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed August 31, 2010

The rooms had a nice scandivavian design that we liked.

The hotel is well connected to Stockholm city centre by the undergound line.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2010

We've stayed here for 2 nights and were not disappointed.
Nice-decorated rooms, very clean, Czech beer and some snacks in lobby bar, supermarket (working hours 9-23) with some food and beer just in a few steps from the hotel. Very friendly staff, good breakfast.
It's a little bit away from major attractions, but you can get here from T-Centralen only in15 minutes with a local train (it's a good idea to buy 72-hour card or stockholm card, it will be cheaper than stay in the city center without it).

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2010

Pros: nice scandinavian-style rooms, really good breakfast (from swedish, italian all the way to even japanese food available daily!!), friendly staff, quiet neighborhood, free bike rentals.
Con: there is only one really, and that is the location. This hotel is some 10 km away from the city center, but there is a metro station some 200 m away from the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank manolituca
Reviewed June 2, 2010

* The hotel is nice and rooms are clean and somewhat spacious. Breakfast is always included in the price (average to good).
* The location is about 10km from the center but that's not a problem cause the tube Alvik (T-Bana) is just 200mt from the hotel. We bought a 72h card for 20€ and could use all public transports. The ride to T-Centralen (stockhom center) is just 10min.

Overall it's a nice hotel but i think for 100€/day we could have got better. I would stay here again if i could get a cheaper arrangement.

I have 1 negative point: our last day we had to leave at 6h30am because of our early flight. We requested the previous day if a lunch box could be arranged for us. The receptionist wrote down the request and the next morning.. No breakfast, no one knew anything about it.. so as the breakfast area was still close we actually had no breakfast included in the last day.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2010

The hotel did not have a "face" for me, quite ordinary, but most things that were there, were nice. It was clean and had Nordic design inside. We had the room on second floor and was disturbed by the view outside -- drunk youngsters took a leak under the windows. Inside the hotel only old CRT televisions was weird thing to see, everything else was fine.
Ah, and there was a sign in the elevator that the hotel is quite crowded and so they suggest to come to the breakfast as early as possible to ease the traffic in the buffet. We din´t think they were serious, since the hotels did not seem to be crowded. But in the morning we saw we were wrong -- it was hard to find the table, so I suggest you take the earlier breakfast if you see that sign :)

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2010

I had a really hard time finding anywhere affordable to stay in Stockholm; I am on a long trip and have to stick to my budget carefully; at first Stockholm looked impossible, but after reading reviews on TA I decided to book the Alvik. I found a better deal on Expedia than direct with the hotel website, and ended up paying $117 AU per night for bed and breakfast.

FIrst, location: the Alvik is opposite a train station about 10 minutes from the 'centre' of Stockholm - or at least, the part that i spent the most time in; the area of Gamla Stan and around the central train station. So, in fact the location is really not that big a deal, the trains are fast and efficient and with a transit card (I paid $10 a day for a 72 hour card, buying it at the airport visitors desk when I arrived) it's not that expensive really. HOWEVER - finding the hotel that first day was a nightmare. There are multiiple exits from the train station and no indication about which one is the correct one for finding the square. You can't see the square from the station and it just looks like main roads everywhere I made several false starts and what should have taken 10 minutes took me an hour. In the end after asking several staff members, I had to go up and over a platform and right to the end of another platform ... It was the same issue I had with finding my way to the train station (as opposed to the metro station which is a fair distance underground - once you know what you are doing, and catch the right train and turn the right way when you exit, it's all very simple - but until then, its a nightmare. The receptionist at the Alvik says that the directions are explicit in Swedish online, but not in English: this is a problem since arguably we are the ones who need the most help!

Ask for directions if you are unsure.

Also, be aware that the terrain is hostile to cases; Stockholm was covered in black ice and to combat the dangers, the place is littered with gravel; ice, gravel, stairs, hills; it was not ideal to be wheeling a heavy case after a long flight.

OK, moving on. In the square before the hotel is a great supermarket, a collection of places to eat (including horribly enough, macdonalds!) and a variety of other shops - also several ATMs which was handy. I picked up some sandwich fixings on my way to the hotel for a cheap dinner before crashing; after a month in Egypt it was wonderful to be surrounded by recognisable and delicious food again!

The hotel check in was painless. The elevators really are as slow as others here have mentioned. The room itself (935) was scandinavian blond wood and bland - it's definitely not my aesthetic, but it was clean and very functional. I loved the recycling bin (with room for organic matter as well as paper and plastic etc) and the fact that they really actually left your towels if you hung them up: most hotels don't pay any attention to their own policies and it was refreshing to be somewhere that takes it seriously. The refillable wall containers with shower and hand wash gel were filled with quality product.

The bed was comfortable, but I was glad of my own pillow, as the hotel pillows were more cushion sized than standard pillow sized. The wireless is incredibly fast (almost as good as being home again, and a million times faster than Egypt or most of the hotels I stayed at in the US this trip) and free - they gave me a 7 day voucher when I arrived. The only bother was making sure not to lose it because you have to log back on after putting your laptop to sleep. The shower was hot and the water pressure was OK and I loved the moving shower door - what a fantastic space saver in a small space, I would love one of those in my bathroom. There is no inroom safe, but they have safe deposit boxes downstairs, so I used that for my passport etc. One problem I had was that you have to put your room key in the socket by the door and, unusually (?) this not only turns off the appliances and lights, it also turns off the electric sockets so you can not leave anything charging (ie camera batteries, ipod or laptop) while you are out; this was a real pain because charging things while I am out is how I cope with only two plug converters.

The breakfast buffet was fantastic; really really terrific for a free breakfast and so good after a month of bad food in Egypt. It's ALL organic. There is a cereal section with a variety of different cereals, seeds and dried fruits, fresh fruits, and yoghurts and milks (including soy products). Then there are different breads (all wonderful wholemeals and ryes, slice your own loaves, rolls, a toaster) and the continental selection - cheeses, meats, salad items, jam and marmalades. Then the hot buffet selection - scrambled eggs, baked beans, a variety of meats, and TWO kinds of boiled eggs - hard boiled and soft boiled - and the soft boiled really *were* - it was amazing, Also juices, coffee and tea - the tea was pretty ordinary, so that was an area I was not impressed with. It was very popular - the buffet was full on the weekends, and on the week days it was pretty busy with businessmen.

so, all in all, I was satisfied with my choice and if I could have done over that first day with all the hassle of actually finding it, I would have been very happy indeed given the constraints of my budget and the impossibility of finding anywhere closer to town for the money.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank emah
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bromma
Ostermalm
Scandic Ariadne
Scandic Ariadne
#77 of 155 in Stockholm
Kungsholmen
Courtyard Stockholm Kungsholmen
Hornstull & Langholmen
Hotell och Vandrarhem Zinkensdamm

Been to Scandic Alvik? Share your experiences!