“Value for Money... ABSOLUTELY!”
Review of Hotel Marina Tossa

Hotel Marina Tossa
Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Tossa de Mar
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Value for Money... ABSOLUTELY!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Before I start this review, lets get things into perspective: return flights from Newcastle, return transfers Girona to Tossa, one week bed and breakfast, total cost for me and the missus less than 500 pounds.

Hotel is about 10 minutes walk from the beach and about 1 minute from the weekly Thursday morning market.
Reception appears to be manned 24/7, always friendly and good English.
Room is small: 2 single beds, fitted wardrobe, small table and chair, flat screen TV (BBC world news), small bathroom with adequate shower (hot water always available) and an average balcony with the obligatory plastic table and 2 plastic chairs. The rooms are cleaned, beds made and toiletries replenished daily.
No lifts in the hotel.
The main pool is large, deep and spotlessly clean. Water cold. Also a small kids pool. All surrounded by well kept grassed area and more than enough sun-beds. Adjacent activities include 2 well maintained tennis courts, 2 pool tables and a bocce/petanque/boules area. Very good.

Breakfast: a very good selection of pastries, cold meats, cheeses, cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurts, fruit juices, coffees and herbal teas which were constantly replenished by the excellent breakfast staff.

In summary, excellent value for money. Of course, there is no pleasing some folks and having experienced this hotel personally, I can only conclude that an overly critical review reveals more about the reviewer than it does about the hotel.

I have already recommended this hotel to a friend about to visit this area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank montaguetc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Just returned from Marina Tossa I will give a honest review
Good points . Nice location , nice pool, clean hotel , breakfast ok
Bad Points , Small rooms, no air con, no English tv small bathrooms only one electric point
when I booked the hotel I requested A pool view and double bed what I got was a shoe box at the side of the building with single beds very hot at night no air con I asked for a move but was refused twice this is more of a hostel than hotel when I arrived there was a large party of school children very noisy at times I liked Tossa de mar but not this hotel I will not recommend this hotel to any of my friends or family

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gary p
Gerona, Catalonia, Spain
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I havent't stayed overnight yet, I will next month, but I have been there for dinner. The food is very good, if you want to eat at the terrace instead of the buffet you can get pizza, burgers, etc.
The staff is very nice, helpful and attentive. Everything is very clean.
A plus is the performances on Thursdays and Saturdays. A lovely girl with a beautiful voice and her guitar makes Thursday evenings special. On Saturdays they have Flamenco. I feel so relaxed there. I can't wait to spend my holidays at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Well, my family stayed in this hotel three times. The hotel isn't in the noisy center of town but only ten minutes from Grand beach by foot. The hotel have two pool: one is big and one for kids. Also it have two tennis courts. We've booked a room with a terrace. The room is no big but very clean (it's cleaned everydays). There are a small fridge and a free bar (always refill) in the room. The breakfast is lavish: alot of fruits, juices, yogurts, cereals and more. But one biggest plus "Marina Tossa" is its personnel. They are always patient, helpful and friendly! We'll choose this hotel next time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Alexander A
Bristol
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The coach from Girona airport dropped us right outside the hotel gates. The hotel is a good 10 minute walk from the beach and old town but I quite like the exercise so that suited us. The pool is huge, one of the biggest I've seen in Tossa, it's cleaned everyday and the big grassed area surrounding the pool & bar always has plenty of space and always free sun loungers.
We were lucky enough to get a free upgrade on our room, from a standard room to a room with a balcony & pool view, I would probably opt for a superior room next time as the balcony was quite small. I was delighted to discover that the beds were really comfortable as I usually have trouble sleeping. Also, the location of the hotel meant that it wasn't as noisy as some of the other hotels I've stayed at in Tossa. The hotel and room was very clean, I didn't see any dirt anywhere!!
Breakfast was lovely, with fresh fruit, toast, yogurts, coffee, juices, cereals and best of all lots of delicious pastries!
The staff were always very friendly and helpful and couldn't do enough to make sure our stay was pleasant. Wifi is in the bar area only. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at Marina Tossa and after staying at 3 other hotels I would definitely choose this one in future.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank MillyPinkLtd
Sheffield
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Room was tiny, no terrace or balcony, the shower flooded each time it was used and was tiny. Overall the room reminded us of a prison cell! The noise of slamming doors etc starts about 7.30 am & doesn't stop, a noisey group of 30 school children were staying for a school trip which added to this! My husband couldn't sleep at all, I was o.k as I have earplugs!

We paid around 49 euros per night and feel ripped off, it wasn't worth half that for the room we had. We asked to see an upgraded room with a balcony but didn't upgrade as it wasn't much better, all the rooms are very dated and in need of an upgrade.

There is very little to do in Tossa de mar and it's an expensive place to be, we went to Barcelona after this and food prices were similar but the quality in Barcelona was much improved! We visited in early June and the whole place was dead, no atmosphere whatsoever, we wouldn't return.

The 2 positives were the staff at the front desk were helpful and the breakfast buffet was good quality.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

During the summer of 2010 between leaving college and Univerisity I completed a work placement here over the summer. Like all hotels this hotel has many pros and cons and as a student I think it is important not to be bias and tell you how it is.

Excellent location with very generous pool. Roomsre cleaned daily , however some are outdated and do not come with air conditioning. We had to buy fans to keep us cool within our rooms. Prices are reasonably priced with a reasonable selection of food.

Pool tables , internet access and large quantity of drinks available on demand (to be paid for).

5 minute walk from the beach meaning it is suitable for families who do not want to be disturbed from the night clubs. Staff are all English speaking and will help you day or night if you have any problems.

Should be really 4* as I´ve stayed in 4* hotels before who do not offer services such as drink ordering from the pool where as this hotel offers this.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family