“Good value friendly hotel”

MedPlaya Hotel Esmeraldas
Ranked #14 of 43 Hotels in Tossa de Mar
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We chose Esmeraldas because we found a good deal on the room and the reviews on Trip Advisor were pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms are clean with a generous balcony and reasonable fittings. The Staff were friendly and our kids loved the games room with its pool table and air hockey. The pool itself is fairly small with a connected paddling area but with 3 beaches in easy walking distance we didn't mind that. The only complaint I do have is that the beds in the living room were so hard as to be painful. Had I realised I'd have put the kids in there!

The location is good with Dia supermarket by the river bed and an Eroski on the main road behind the hotel. We had a great holiday and I'd happily stay there again.

Room Tip: I'd avoid the ground floor as there are 11 basement rooms
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 4, 2012

The not so good bits about the Aparthotel Esmeralda’s :-
We booked a holiday with Thomson from the Sky tours brochure a year in advance to the Apart hotel Esmeralda’s Tossa de Mar Costa Brava Spain, costing £6490.00.
We booked 2 x 1 bedroom apartment’s at the Esmeralda’s which sleep’s 2-4 people with cot space x2 this was incorrect as there was no space for 1 travel cot.
This was a family holiday for 8 people which included Myself and Husband also our children who’s ages are 19, 17, 15, 13 also a 5 and 2years old.
When we arrived at Gerona Airport the transfer greeting service was excellent and we got onto the coach with ease.
On arrival at the Hotel we got dropped off at the top of the road and around the corner from the hotel at the bus stop. There was only my family and one couple left on the bus as it was the last drop off. The Rep just said I will book you in at reception and walked off leaving us to struggle the 70 metres walk with 8 suitcases, 8 hand luggage’s a pushchair, travel cot also a sleeping 2 yr old and tired 5 yr old . We needed to make 3 trips to the bus stop to collect our luggage and was offered no assistance from the Rep or Hotel, so if you are a single parent or have mobility problems the distance you have to walk with suitcases could be problematic. When we arrived at the reception we found The Rep gossiping with the reception staff.
We were given our room keys to room’s 411 and 412 we were given a piece of paper explaining rules and had to pay 3 euros a day plus 10 euros refundable deposit for the safety deposit box. The rep told us about the welcome meeting in the morning at 10.30am then left the Hotel, leaving us with no assistance to get our luggage to the 4th floor.
We arrived to our room’s tired, thirsty, and hungry and everyone needing the bathroom there was 1 toilet roll but no soap supplied so everyone was unable to wash their hands. So we had to go straight to the supermarket before it closed at lunch time as the shops didn’t reopen until about 4pm to get food and toiletries etc.
When we returned to our rooms 411 & 412 and started to unpack we looked around and noticed how filthy the whole apartment was.
This is a description of our apartment on arrival :
a) The patio doors that lead to the balcony were so dirty you were unable to see out through them.
b) The balcony had not been swept or cleaned and was covered in pigeon droppings and the patio table and chairs were filthy.
c) The telephone was thick of dust and grime.
d) The ceiling was covered in cobwebs also the walls and floors were dirty.
e) lights were dirty and thick with grime and dust.
f) The cupboard door in the bathroom was broken and rotten .
g) The bathroom sink had pubic hairs around it and the bathroom shelf was the same. The Bidet plug was unpleasant and brown with a foul smell coming from the plug hole. We had no intention of using this but wasn’t very nice to see and smell when you were cleaning your teeth etc;
h) The kitchen unit under the sink was broken and the hinges were covered in some sort of Polyfilla to hold it together. Also the units were very dirty. The rack that the chipped plates stood on inside the cupboard was full of rust.
I) The utensil’s and equipment was inadequate we had 2 pans 1 with the lid missing the knifes were twisted and the cutlery was old nothing matched as if bought second hand. You were given 1 tea-towel that doesn’t get changed we had to keep washing it out with washing up liquid. I asked the cleaners for a clean and was given a flannel covered in hairs! I asked for another tea-towel and was given a flannel again!
j) The kettle was broken and the spout with whistle had to be lifted with a cloth to be able to pour the water.
k) We had two hob rings one worked alright the second one took 37 minutes to start to heat up water but wouldn’t heat to boiling point. We had to keep going next door to the other apartment to use the hob.
l) Our fridge was held together with about 3 metres of Duck tape it also had pubic hairs inside the egg tray compartment, the freezer door was snapped or broken off probably due to the build up of ice (this was the same in both apartments) with not having a door on the freezer it affected the food inside the fridge like milk and yogurts, but the freezer didn’t keep ice-creams and lolly’s frozen. The whole fridge was disgusting dirty and very rusty.
m) The kitchen sink was dirty/filthy and also the drainer hadn’t been cleaned. There was also no cupboard to store food purchased so you had to leave this on the small dining table where you also had to sit to eat meals. You didn’t have any work surface to prepare food and the gap between the table and hob /fridge was that small I couldn’t bend down to get things out of the fridge.
n) one of the electric sockets in the bathroom was completely hanging out of the wall also one in the living area. A bathroom light switch was coming off the wall. When we arrived my 5yr old dashed into the bathroom to use the toilet it was just by luck my Husband followed him in or he could have easily been electrocuted or killed.
o) The television was thick of dust including the unit it stood on, also the remote control had a button missing and had a large white chewy sweet stuck to it.
p) Bathroom towels were old and had rips in and they didn’t smell very fresh. Also the bedding had blood stains covering large areas and the blankets had cigarette holes and were covered in loads of hairs and looked like they never got washed.
q)The fuse box had no cover so was assessable.

R) The top of all the doors and light shades were covered in dust and under the beds was a thick carpet of dust.
S) The front door locked by just pulling it to, and opened very easily by turning the knob to the left it was so easy my 2yr old could open it so if you were unaware like in the bathroom they would open the door and be right next to the lifts and staircase.
T) Room doors were that squeaky it would wake the baby we had to oil the doors with cooking oil.
U) The beds that were used as seating during the day and also beds on the night were very high and unsuitable for young children if they rolled out of bed and fell on the hard flooring from that height would cause a head injury. One of the beds in the living room had blood on the end.
V) The double bedroom had two single beds pushed together as a double but made up as two singles if you moved over to be near each other the beds would separate and leave a gap down the middle to fall down.
W) It stated there was room for a travel cot x2 we took 1 and there was no room in the whole apartment we only just fitted it into the bedroom by pushing the two single beds against the wardrobes and fit it between the beds and window/balcony door, meaning there was no room to open and close the curtains or be able to use the wardrobe.
I had taken the travel cot for my 2yr old to use but as the bed was unsuitable for my 5yr old he had to sleep in the travel cot and my 2yr old had to get in bed with me using myself and the side of the travel cot as a bed guard rail.
This wasn’t what I had in mind as sleeping arrangements for 3 weeks not being able to sleep with my husband and sleeping in a single bed with a 2yr old, when I booked my holiday.
x) The fresh towels were placed inside the bidet.
y) It was very noisy early on a morning around 6am when towels got delivered to the hotel and was pushed on a trolley.
We came to the realisation that the Rep and hotel staff couldn’t be bothered to deal with our complaint and couldn’t care less as they had left our rooms in that state and had put the Duck tape in the fridge to hold it together, so was well aware of the state of the room’s but obviously had no standard what so ever.
We had to go and purchase cleaning products and spend the first week cleaning the whole apartment as we were stuck here for 3 weeks we couldn’t have lived like that with small children.
towels got changed 11 times during our stay, bed sheets got changed twice. The cleaners swept our room about 5 times but only swept around things and the floor got mopped twice but not under anything, nothing else got cleaned or dusted. You also had to buy rubbish bags and take all the rubbish out of the hotel and down the road to the corner and put it into a bin.
The cleaners were quite rude and wouldn’t come back even if you asked them and insisted that they were coming in and would chase our whole family onto the balcony so they could come in even if you were having lunch.
Also when we were waiting for the lift with my pushchair 2 cleaners got out of the lift on the 4th floor, I went into the lift to go down to the lobby and the lift doors closed trapping my pushchair the 2 cleaners thought that this was very funny and started laughing, it wasn’t until my husband looked at them they stopped.
Also one night a guy wearing brown overalls who works at the hotel knocked on the door comes in stares at the television then pick up the remote and turns the volume down even though it was on quiet to start with, then leaves without any explanation, I was in my PJ’s and son was asleep in the bed next to the television.
Early one morning while having Breakfast a lady who works for the hotel I’m not sure what her job title was, knocked on the door picked up the coffee machine and took it away without saying a word. Later in the day a cleaner brought back a coffee machine I don’t know what that was about as we hadn’t even used it!

Around the lobby, Reception, Restaurant and Bar area were very modern clean and tidy and you always seen activity with cleaning staff in these area’s and the staff within the Restaurant and Bar were excellent the staff on Reception were fairly friendly but not that helpful. The internet room wasn’t very clean with dirty looking walls and stained sofa’s. The pool was quite small and this area wasn’t kept clean or tidy with cat faeces covering the soil border next to the sun lounges also the flooring around the pool was very uneven especially around the baby pool where my little boy tripped and hurt his leg. Also the depth of the water in pool was falsely stated as 160 metres deep which was a safety issue, the ladder in the pool was very loose and dangerous. The children play area had a slide that was rusty and had graffiti on and also a sit on springy ride the area was covered in cat pooh and smelt awful.
The entertainment started between 10pm or 11pm and consisted of :
1) An old guy wearing cowboy boots stamping his foot and blowing a whistle, singing where do you come from where do you go where do you come cotton eye Joe.
2) A guy dressed as a cowboy using a whip to whip cigarettes out off peoples mouths, this show started at 10pm.
3)Sasha a magician who’s tricks and show was only suitable for toddlers although I don’t think this was the age group it was supposed to be aimed for. You could clearly see how he performed every trick, this show started at 10pm.
4)Reptile show was advertised as Snakes, Iguana, Tortoise and Cats, the show was supposed to start at 11pm but they didn’t arrive until 11.30pm and only brought with them 1 Snake and 1 Iguana and left 15 minutes early.
5) A show called Rapaz was Owls and Falcons and starts at 10pm they only brought 2 Owls with them.
As you can see it was difficult to see who these shows and acts were aimed at and what age range. Our group ages ranged from Adults to teenagers also a toddler and baby and most of the shows were unsuitable or on to late for younger children and was very poor entertainment for Teenagers and Adults. Also if you stayed longer than a week it was the same shows every week. We were very lucky indeed we had 3 weeks of it!
There was no other entertainment around the hotel in the early evening and nothing to do in the town centre.
Although the resort had some beautiful views the beach was described in the brochure as shingle and sand beaches. We were at the resort for 3 weeks and went on every part of beach in Tossa de Mar and all the beaches were dusty and like gravel that resembled builders gravel so was not suitable for young children wanting to play or build any sand castles. The sea was very cold and when you entered the water you were quite deep straight away so made it unsafe for young children.

Now for the nicer bits about the Aparthotel Esmeralda’s and Tossa de Mar :-

a) The Bar and Restaurant staff were excellent, really friendly and you could have a lovely breakfast between 08.00 - 10.00 am costing just 5 Euros (Adult) and 4 Euros for a child (2-12 years old) and a nice dinner with a wide variety of dishes between 19.30-21.30 hrs costing 10 Euros (Adult) or 8 Euros (child)
b) our apartments over looked some residential apartments and Infant School, but we didn’t mind this as you could watch the local’s going about there day.
c) The local market was just at the end of the road every Thursday.
d) There is a children’s play park at the top of the street which was fairly quiet especially just after lunch.
e) A mini train took you on a trip around Tossa which the younger children loved.
f) It was very pleasant to walk around the town with some beautiful views especially around the castle, and you felt very safe even on a night walking out, there was no drunken holiday makers it was mainly older couples or young families about.
g) Tossa had some lovely shops to wander around although they did seem to close early on a night.

Tossa de Mar was a lovely town that has managed to keep its charm, but for teenagers there is not a lot to entertain them especially on a night.

Room Tip: Choose another Hotel
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank bravo478
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Stayed here for a week in July with my 2 teenage daughters. Booked this place because of the reviews on TA, we were not disappointed. The hotel was first class, staff were very friendly and helpful and always had a smile. We stayed in 305 and had a view of the pool. The pool was cleaned every day and was always tidy, sunbeds were always to be had even as late as 10.30 every morning. We stayed HB and the food was great, plenty of it and good quality, always found plenty that we liked and you know how picky kids can be. We all thought this place was great and I'd stay here again 100%. If you stay here you won't be disappointed, we loved it.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank cpsherriff
Reviewed July 24, 2012

This was our second visit to this aparthotel, we booked a self catering studio with Thomson for our short break in Tossa, the room was basic but clean and an OK size for the two of us with a balcony, fridge and cooking facilities, air con, safe (3 euro a day) the lighting in the room was poor I had to apply my make-up on the balcony!! these studios are in need of an update!!

The hotel offer a buffet breakfast for 5 euro pp which we found to be excellent value - a good selection of hot and cold food.

Reception staff were helpful and friendly.

Overall we had a lovely time in Tossa in fact we enjoyed it so much we are returning in August and have booked this aparthotel again because it was fine for our needs plus I have struggled to find any other self catering rooms in Tossa.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dscam007
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We have just got home after 10 days at Esmeraldas and Tossa de Mar and we loved it. The aparthotel is very well kept and I will say it is a 3 star + establishment. It is rated a 2 star and I can not understand why, because it is way better than a 2 star hotel (maybe the spanish star system is different from ours???)
The apartment was spacious and had all that was needed. The room was cleaned every day with new towels. Aircon was very efficient and much appreciated. We had a lovely balcony facing the street - and no noise.
The pool area is not big but very cleane and nice. Our youngsters loved the game room where they could play pool, table tennis/ping-pong, air hockey and much more.
The breakfast is also very good. Lots of options - a mix of typical english breakfast with toast, eggs, beans, bacon, mushrooms and a continental styled buffet with rolls, cereal, jam, cakes, fruits and cold cuts. It was really tasty and costed only 5 EUR for adults and 4 EUR for kids.
The only negative was the hard beds, but that is of cours a matter of tast. Aparthotel Esmeraldas was really a bargain. We payed 80 EUR a day for 4 people. You will hardly find a better deal. Tossa is a lovely and quaint small seaside town with a beautiful old town worth a visit. All the beaches are coarse-grained beaches but they are cleane and the water is nice. A good tip is to buy bathing shoes, because the sand can be a little bit painfull to walk on.
You can also reach Barcelona easily by bus (runs frequently - see sarfa.com) From Girona airport it is a 40 min drive and with a taxi you have to pay about 60 EUR.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jpjFredrikstad
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Stayed at Esmeraldas for 2 weeks 16th June till 30th June ..... basic but clean ..... bedding was only changed twice in 2 weeks and there were holes in the sheets .... beds were hard and uncomfortable and it cost 52 Euros for a safety deposit box for 2 weeks you get 10 Euros back when you hand safe key in ..... pool was really small and sunbeds were so close together .... bathroom was in need of refurbing was holes in wall tiles and doors .....our room faced a private block of apartments where there was a dog who barked all day and howled all night ... i would not stay there again .....

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SHARON D
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We have just spent a week in the esmereldas. The hotel was very clean and the rooms were a good size. The breakfast was great with hot cooked, cereal, continental and even a toastie machine. The pool was fine although fairly small. If like us you need a good reasonably priced base in tossa then look no further. We ate out every night and had some fantastic meals. Would stay here again

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
#9 of 124 in Lloret de Mar
MedPlaya Hotel San Eloy
MedPlaya Hotel San Eloy
#21 of 43 in Tossa de Mar

Been to MedPlaya Hotel Esmeraldas? Share your experiences!