“No where near a 4 star”

Golden Bahia de Tossa
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Tossa de Mar
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I don't want to repeat everything that has already been said, however I would like to add the following comments. I stayed with my husband from 18th - 29th Sept. 2012, we booked with Thomson and in the past have always had excellent holidays with them in other places.
We found the reception staff pleasant and the rooms comfortable, quiet and very clean, although a bit dated. The pool area is good but the sun beds are uncomfortable and need renewing.
Breakfast in the dining room was a pleasant experience and we always found a table easily and we enjoyed the food. However, dinner was a real free for all, totally chaotic and overcrowded not helped by the fact that there was a conference being held in the hotel on the second week and the delegates seemed to take up a big section of the dining room. Also, I personally struggled to find anything I wanted to eat, apart from the soup and certain bits of salad and I'm not particularly fussy.
The entertainment was ok, but the show room wasn't designed to make viewing easy.
We went on two excursions, one to Barcelona (the day and night trip) and to Girona. Both excursions were excellent and led by Frank who is a Spaniard who was brought up in Australia. He is very knowledgeable and entertaining and a great asset to Thomsons. Simon the rep is fine and did a good job.
Tossa de Mar is a lovely little place with an old walled town. and there are plenty of streets to stroll round and some quite strenuous walks up to the Miradores etc. There are good shops, bars and restaurants and boat trips to different places along the coast.
All in all I enjoyed visiting Tossa de Mar but wouldn't want to stay at this hotel again. I am also a bit baffled by all the good reviews I read before I booked. Maybe we just picked the wrong time..

Room Tip: Don't go at the end of the season.
3  Thank gingerelsa

Reviewed September 29, 2012

This place is not 4 star and never will be. Staying a week seems like 2 weeks. The rooms are small, and have hard beds. Food bland and boring. You can not get a clean table at breakfast, today we set our own table .They charge for everything even 1 euro to use the iron on the dirtiest ironing board you have ever seen. The Thomson rep has his head up his own backside not a bit friendly.

They do not however charge for wi fi which is free in the lobby

I personally cannot see why people rave this hotel. They must be easily suited or know no difference

Never again will I venture near the place

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Mark.dUnitedKingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed during September 2012 and overall holiday was very good. Booked with Thomson and overall very good experience. Simon and Kelly were very good reps and although we did not need them we did see them around the hotel most days. The hotel was very clean, and the food was excellent caters for all tasts and countries. The hotel is about a 10 mins pleasant walk to the beach walking through the shops where you can pick up your water or food for lunch. Yes the the beaches are shingles but they are beautiful, very quiet and safe. Don't hire the sun loungers or umbrella which will cost you 16 euros a day just pop into one of the shops and buy a beach mat and umbrella for the same price and you have it all week. Tossa is amazing and yes its not full of bars or clubs but this is what makes it so nice.If you want that go somewhere else. We ate out 5 nights and did not have one bad meal. They seem to have deals on menus start at 12.50 euro's we had this one night and i ordred chicken for my main and it was just chicken and chips no veg or salad which was quite funny. We tended to eat of the slightly more expemsive set menus or just ordered what we wanted not expensive at all. The castle is beautiful and you must take a walk up there and come back down the old town its beautiful. I have only rated this as 3 stars as the hotel does need some updating and as previous people have said the soaps and shower gel etc needed to be re stocked and a box of tissues would have been nice. It was worth booking as its not expensive at all and i would certainly go back and have no problem recomending this hotel to my friends or family. .

Room Tip: email the hotel before you travel and ask for a room on the pool side on level 4 or above they seem...
2  Thank Bushy02
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We holidayed here from 14-9-12 for 10 days.
The hotel is generally good with good sized rooms and food was about average for a 4 star hotel, always something to eat for even picky eaters.
The reason for the lower grade is the little things like soap, shampoos etc which were never replenished and were of poor quality.
The best thing about the hotel is the staff ,who were only too eager to help.
This was apart from the spa receptionist who took our deposit for the beach towles, grabbed the towles and clashed them on the desk without once looking up or smiling.On return,she never stopped talking to her colleague and did the same with our deposit.
All in all, I would have no qualms in returning as it wouldn't take much to get the hotel up there with better 4* hotels.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2012

One of the best hotels I have stayed in. Courteous staff, all of which spoke english.
Food was delicious with a large varity of dishes on offer.
Pools and spa area very well supervised, evening entertainment was a bit hit and miss (mostly hit) and there is a Piano bar for a quiet evening.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room I suggest you request a pool view.
Reviewed September 26, 2012

During our summer vacation we stayed in Golden Bahia de Tossa (June 2012). The hotel is the most expensive 4* in Tossa de Mar but I can not say it really deserves these 4 stars, I would rate it 3*+
Pros:
- the hotel managers helped a lot with regards to a very early check-in for my parents (they arrived at 5 a.m.); I wrote to the hotel in advance (2-3 days prior to the date) and they did their best to provide my parents with a room just right upon arrival - it was really helpful and kind as my parents were asked no additional fee for that
- again the hotel receptionist spent only 10 mnts to find another room for us after the complaint about the previous one (details in cons :-)
- the food was good for dinners (variety of cheese, meat & fish (every day freshly cooked), fruits and vegetables); a lot of starters, salad bar, 2-3 sorts of ice-cream every day etc., breakfasts were though average with (unfortunately) bad coffee
- the hotels's territory is rather good in comparison to other hotels (!) in Tossa: several pools, everything's clean, pleasant lounges and bars
- the hotel is located in a quiet area of the town (near the bus station) and a bit far from the beach but it's pleasant to walk there
- the rooms have a balcony with a table and 2 chairs (plastic)
- free reliable wi-fi in a lobby
Cons:
- the rooms are out of date: table, chairs and old-fashioned TVset, so this is not 4* options at all
- bathroom amenities (shampoo, show gel) were changed ONCE!!!! When my parents asked to do it the next day they were said that it was possible only once after check-in (I think we should have asked the hotel's manager about such a strange policy but we did not)
-no free of charge games etc. Football, golf outside as well as board games inside were for a fee what is unacceptable in my opinion (especially for a 4* hotel)
-I mentioned about a room change in Pros and that's why. We were given a good room as we were told but as soon as we entered we thought we would not be able to stay in it for the next 10 days - it seemed as if a hundred people were smoking day and night in the room for about a week and suddenly disappeared when we came in. Fortunately we were given another room but I can't imagine who would agree to stay there (not even heavy smokers)
-we had a very unpleasant incident during the dinner. The day before we were offered by a waiter to keep a bottle of water (which was a half full) for the next dinner, so we were more than surprised when another waiter said "no" the next day. We tried to find out why (I even showed him "our" bottle in the fridge with a sticky note with our room number and names in it) but it was useless. We spent half a hour(!!!) to have this bottle of water back with lots of comments that "it's not possible, it's not permitted" etc. Still I have no idea and won't go into detail to find out why what is "possible and permitted" by one waiter is not by another one, I only regret to have faced such attitude.
On the whole the hotel is ok but not 4* and when I compare it with a 3* hotel in Barcelona (Europark) I am sure that the 3* one is MUCH better.
As for Tossa it's nice and beautiful, one should definitely visit the old town (it's charming) and walk there. But I would not recommend to stay in Tossa de Mar for more than 5-6 days if you like big cities as I do :-) By the end of your week stay there you'll feel bored so if I visit Tossa again I will stay for 4-5 days there. We also visited neighboring towns such as Blanes and Lloret de Mar but we did not like them at all. Blanes is too small even compared to Tossa while Lloret is too crowded and noisy, so if you prtefer quiet and respectable atmosphere choose Tossa de Mar among the three above (I would recommend to read reviews and check 2* Capri Hotel - it's right by the sea, the hotel is a "family" business, it's very nice and cozy)
If you visit Tossa in early June as we did be ready to have cold water in the sea (20-22 degrees) and chilly weather in the morning and evening, even rain and cold wind.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Fairy-fairytale
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed for a week 18/09/12 to 25/09/12 - larger hotel than we usually stay at. The amenities such as reception, pools, sun terraces, lounges and bars were perfectly acceptable, staffed by helpful and pleasant staff. Agree with other reviewers re "canteen" atmosphere of large restaurant but variety and quality of food was acceptable - you dont expect haute cuisine in holiday hotels. Room was a suite which was most comfortable and was cleaned daily with clean linen always available. Beds were clean and a little hard which suited me but not my wife - still she seemed to sleep well enough. The major down was the sunbeds which were very much in a need of refurbishment and could be uncomfortable when used for lenghty periods (which is why you go on holiday). I believe the hotel opened in 2003 and my general opinion is that the fixtures and fittings are about ready for an upgrade but i would never deter anyone from going to this hotel as they are doing many things well. Will probably not return simply because it is larger than we prefer. Finally can someone explain this obsession with spas?

Room Tip: Request quiet room with pool view