“A lovely place to stay, great location in a nice part of Tossa - Dog lovers please read this review”
Review of GHT Hotel Neptuno

GHT Hotel Neptuno
Ranked #4 of 43 Hotels in Tossa de Mar
Oldham, England
Reviewed July 25, 2010

We have just returned from the Neptuno after a 4 night stay. It is in a great spot in the oldest part of Tossa and the hill up to it which others reviewers refer to is ony a small one and no one needs to rush up it! As long as you are able bodied it is easily manageable. The reception staff speak english and are friendly, rooms and grounds are well maintained, the man who takes care of the garden/pool area worked hard and was trimming the lawns as we left at 7am! The hotel's public areas are nicely furnished and instead of the bland standards of modern hotels, it is uniquely done with lovely old wooden pieces and a suit of armour on display! It is a hotel with plenty of character and an authentic spanish flavour. We asked on our booking for a quiet corner room and got just that with a room on the fourth floor facing the sea at no extra cost.

The food is of an adequate standard and there is enough to eat, the BBQ on the Friday night was the best food although overall the food is not very inspiring and we wouldn't recommend booking if the food quality and choices are very important to you. However, we never went hungry and ate lunch in a different restaraunt each day and all those meals were delicious and reasonably priced.

There was entertainment on one evening which was a singer/keyboard player and it was perfectly pleasant and not too loud. Tossa itself is such a lovely place to stroll around that we went for a walk after dinner each evening and weren't expecting evening entertainment or looking for daytime activities at the hotel so we knew what to expect.

The Neptuno has an old fashioned charm and an international feel which meant it was much nicer for us than a typical package holiday where some hotels cater solely for brits and think we can't eat unfamiliar food or be with people other than english speakers!
I don't normally go back to places I have visited but would definitely return to the Neptuno and to Tossa.
Finally, can I make a heartfelt plea to anyone reading this. If you like dogs and lovely country parks please please consider going to the charity dogs home in Tossa and taking a dog or two for a walk in the beautiful area around the home where there is plenty of shade provided by trees. The staff at the dog's home only give visitors dogs that are gentle natured and perfectly safe but the animals excitement at being taken for a walk is a joy to see! They greet you with such delight and love being out even for a short time, they are all easy to walk even for people who aren't used to dogs. (We took four out over two days and all were easier to walk than our own pet!). There is no charge and staff don't expect anything from you in return, in fact they seemed surprised when I made a donation towards their work. There is no paperwork, they simply get the animals on a lead for you and off you go! There are staff from the dog's home on Tossa market on thursdays where they set up a little stand but it is easy to miss it. The home is called CAAS or Gossera Comercal and to get there you walk further out of town along the road where the market is and past the large campsite along the 'river'. it is signposted as either CAAS or Gossera Commercial at various points along the route and is about a fifteeen minute lovely walk through gorgeous countryside. You walk just past a water treatment plant (to the left of the path) and then the dogs will hear you arrive and bark to guide you in to see them! The staff there clearly love the dogs and gesture their thanks and although they don't speak English they show their appreciation. I am sure more people would take the time out from eating, sunbathing and shopping if they knew about the dogs so near to the resort so hopefully word will spread and the animals will benefit. Thanks for reading this review.

• Stayed July 2010
13 Thank JanetOldham_England

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2010

we stay at the neptuno twice a year we have always had a great stay there. the hotel is spotless the staff couldnt be more helpful the food is alittle bit repetative but is of good quality always hot and always plenty of it.you have to remember this is a 3star hotel if you want 5star food go to another hotel and pay 5star prices the location of this hotel is perfect but if you have trouble walking maybe not as the hotel is up a slight hill the rooms are cleaned daily i have stayed in 5star hotels that are no where near as clean as this hotel we see the same faces staying at this hotel every year which means if it wasnt good we wouldnt keep going back

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
9 Thank doyly
melbourne
Reviewed June 23, 2010

If you are looking for a nice quiet small traditional hotel in Tossa De Mar then Hotel Neptuno is a good find. Stayed here for 9 nights at the beginning of June. Hotel is in the quaint old part of town up a steep hill but but very close to shops, resturants and the main beach of Tossa.The hotel is also only a few minutes walk from the bus station where you can catch the bus to near by towns such as Lloret and several buses to Barcelona run each day and a once daily service direct from Tossa to Girona. You can also get to Girona easily by changing buses in Lloret.

Hotel is set overlooking beautiful grounds and a nice pool. The hotel is noy your typical bland modern hotel, it is very many nice liittle rooms around the reception area that have some very nice antique furnishings and are great for those days when it rains and you want to read or play a game. Hotel rooms themselves are very basic but spotless clean with good sized bath with good powered shower over it. I stayed on half board basis and found the breakfast and dinner to be very adequate with a good choice of buffet style food at breakfast and dinner. Breakfast was served between 8am and 10am and dinner betwen 8pm and 10pm. Also packed lunch can be provided if you meal due to going on excursions. Hotel at night was vey quite and had a nice relaxing atmosphere with entertainmnt on twice a week.

Liked Tossideal place for exploring other parts of a very much beautiful coast line and great bays. Also great place for exploring other parts of the Costa Brava, visits to Barcelona, Barcelona and Montserat are well worth it. All in all a hotel and place I would return to again in the future.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
6 Thank taurus14
Prestbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2010

It was a while ago when I stayed here, but I can still remember it clearly. Its a 3 star hotel and is well worth the money. It has a VERY nice pool and garden area, has a nice restaurant although the food got a bit boring after 2 weeks. The drinks that come with the meal are not included in the price and cost quite a lot.

the rooms are ok sized. I bit small, the main issue was the air conditioning. It really didn't do much and I spent most the night too hot.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Alex T
Achill Island, Ireland
Reviewed May 29, 2010

The Hotel Neptuno, like Tossa de Mar itself, is a throw-back to a bygone age of Spanish holiday resort memories. It seems to me that it hasn't changed since the 1970s. This isn't a criticism - the hotel has been perfectly preserved and retains all the charm I remember when visiting Spain as a youngster.

The rooms are basic but clean and the staff are very friendly indeed. The food is adequate and the menu is varied and has something so suit everyone - self service ensures you can eat as much as you choose. It is re-assuring to see a head waiter dressed in full regalia every night with staff changing uniforms from breakfast to dinner - twee - but fantastic.

The pool area is fantastic and the garden and upper terrace are gorgeous.

The Neptuno is located in the centre of Tossa de Mar but is up a slight hill which keeps it comfortably away from the front. It offers great value for money and very nice surroundings indeed. It is a traditional hotel with character and this is refreshing when all hotels today seem to be the same.

Give it a try - you simply won't regret it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brendan M
kent
Reviewed September 21, 2009

In General – a nice quiet, pleasantly furnished hotel which we enjoyed for 10 days and will return to in the future.
Location - can only be reached by climbing a very steep hill, but easy to find and right where we wanted it to be near to shops and bars with a 10 min or more walk to the sea front ideally situated us.
Beach – Sharp Shingles & Stones, Sea - not for non swimmers or any one not up to full body strength – the pleasure boats come right up onto the beach and there is a very steep drop in the sand (shingles) level in the shallows, which takes you completely by surprise when you suddenly submerge and start to drown (if you can’t swim like me) & the waves are ferocious and very strong. I went in paddling once only, got knocked flat (along with my partner) by the waves, picked up and flung on the beach – twice, before I could crawl out. I swallowed loads of salty sea water & my expensive sunglasses and a head band were gone for ever! Spent the rest of the holiday watching others brave it and come unstuck like us, although some small Spanish children were fine, swam like fish and seemed oblivious to the ferocious waves, but then again they were nearer the ground –maybe that helped a bit, but I watched them ready to call for help if needed. Spanish teenage boys had great fun running into the sea, diving into the strong oncoming waves and screaming with delight. Indeed my partner dived into the waves later on in the holiday, but it was a ‘no go area’ for me – in my partners own words “you will drown”! The ridiculous price of 15 Euros for 2 sun beds & 1 umbrella sent us straight to the shops to buy our own which we used for the rest of the holiday. We bought 2 lie lows with backs at 12 Euros each and 1 umbrella at 8 Euros, that’s only 2 days cost of hiring the sun beds & umbrella, so much better value for money and a lot more comfortable too. Also we deflated the lie lows and took them home with us for use next time. There were one set of toilets on the front which were clean and I saw one life guard on the beach.
Car Parking in Hotel Car Park - 10 Euros a day! (She may have said 12 actually) That’s going on for £100 for our 10 day stay, they must be joking! - we parked in neighbouring streets instead for free!! & so did every one else. Short sighted of the hotel as the tiny car park was almost always empty. Had it been under 5 Euros a day they could have made some money out of us for some of our stay any way.
Food - very limited choice, but all well cooked and edible so no complaints there. Would love some lean back bacon well cooked instead of ham type streaky bacon barely cooked for breakfast – but I ate it so I’m not complaining. Breakfast eggs correctly cooked which often isn’t the case in some hotels and nice baked beans (although they were mostly cold). Loved the hotpot and the pasta was ok in the evenings.
Service in Restaurant & Bar - good in hotel, but could be a bit sharp, hostile even, in some surrounding bars and restaurants’. But it’s the end of the season and they are probably sick of the tourists now.
Room – a nice little room with lovely views of the mountain and hillside villa’s. Rock hard beds that wouldn’t necessarily suit every one and did get a bit uncomfortable by the end of the holiday. Very little practical storage space. The very narrow wardrobe’s hanging space was not long enough to hang a short dress or even a longish top, so my dresses had to be accommodated any where/every where possible to hook a hanger over and only my partners shirts hang in the wardrobe, 2 on each hotel hanger!. I always pack all my own hangers, as hotels tend to think that 5 hangers or so between 2 of you for 10 or more nights is sufficient! But I don’t want to wear the same dress 4 evenings or more! And my partner has to have a clean shirt each night as he sweats. Wider wardrobes and sufficient hangers needed please. I yearn for the day when I feel confident enough to leave my hangers at home, think of the weight I would save at check in!
Room Entertainment – the TV only had CNN News, Euro Sport and BBC World News in English – so no curling up to watch a film on the rainy afternoons – pity because we were lost for some thing to do on those wet days. TV needs a channel showing English speaking films urgently!
Maids - I don’t think our maid cleaned our balcony very often during our stay, but the room and bathroom were fine and we always had clean towels (although these were threadbare) so again no real complaints.
Entertainment – we did go late in the season, they announced they were closing early on the 23rd September due to lack of bookings I’m told, & some friends staying longer were having to be moved to the Oasis Tossa. We only noticed 3 lots of entertainment during the whole 10 days (unless we missed one). We enjoyed the entertainment we saw, Flamenco and the same guy in two different guises on two separate nights. We were disappointed they cancelled the BBQ, we asked the head waiter about it as we had expected it and no notices were up saying it was cancelled, he said it was too cold for a BBQ, but there were hotel guests sitting around the BBQ? Who was it too cold for?
Suggestions to make the hotel even better! -
English speaking film channel on TV - urgent
Wider, wardrobe with room for & at least 15 hangers, vertically long enough to take women’s dresses - urgent
Better more comfy balcony seating, with a sun umbrella and a line to dry your swimwear
More padding on the bed mattresses for better comfort and support of joints, giving a more relaxing sleep - urgent
Lean well fried/grilled back bacon for breakfast, with hot baked beans
More choice of evening meal
More evening entertainment – the hotel would earn the fee back from the sale of drinks from the bar
A much reduced hotel parking charge, its better to earn lots of a little than none of a lot
All in all, this hotel suited us down to the ground and is now our favourite hotel in Tossa – I am sure we will be returning in the future and would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CAJKent
Bristol
Reviewed September 19, 2009

We have just returned from 4 nights in this hotel and have had a wonderful time. We were initially a little worried about the fact that the coach could not drop right outside the hotel, but it was a 2 minute walk at most. The staff were friendly, helpful and welcoming on arrival. The room was lovely, clean with a nice modern bathroom and a balcony. For a three star hotel and the price we paid it was far more than I could have hoped for. The food was varied and satisfactory, although a little greasy and heavy on the ham, but that seems to be the way of cooking in the region, but every night there was at least one thing that we were both happy to eat.
The best thing about this hotel is the location, just outside the front door is a lovely road of shops which makes the 5-10 minute walk to the beach a pleasure (and more like an hour if like me you keep popping into shops).
All in all this was a friendly, comfortable hotel (maybe slightly dated decor, but with the same comfort factor as you would find with a favourite elderly relative), located in the centre of a lovely town.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank elfriniel
GHT_Hotels, Director Comercial at GHT Hotel Neptuno, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you the time it took you to write these comments. As our goal is to keep improving our services, for us is very important the feedback from our customers and so be able to get continuous improvement.

As we want to know the needs and dislikes of our customers, we are doing a continuous, comprehensive monitoring of feedback from you, both in establishment and on-line.

In the Hotel Neptuno in Tossa de Mar and also in the rest of the GHT Hotels hotels, a high rate of customers repeat every year and this fills us with pride, but we are not satisfied and we strive every day, so our guests can get with us a great vacation.

Again, thanks for your kind remarks. Also say that we take note about things are not of your complete satisfaction and look forward to see you soon at one of our establishments strategically located along the Costa de Barcelona-Maresme and Costa Brava.

Josep Gibert