“September 09, Half Board, 10 Day Stay (6 Days of Sun & 4 Days of Cloud with Some Heavy Rain)”
Review of GHT Hotel Neptuno

GHT Hotel Neptuno
Ranked #4 of 43 Hotels in Tossa de Mar
kent
Reviewed September 21, 2009

In General – a nice quiet, pleasantly furnished hotel which we enjoyed for 10 days and will return to in the future.
Location - can only be reached by climbing a very steep hill, but easy to find and right where we wanted it to be near to shops and bars with a 10 min or more walk to the sea front ideally situated us.
Beach – Sharp Shingles & Stones, Sea - not for non swimmers or any one not up to full body strength – the pleasure boats come right up onto the beach and there is a very steep drop in the sand (shingles) level in the shallows, which takes you completely by surprise when you suddenly submerge and start to drown (if you can’t swim like me) & the waves are ferocious and very strong. I went in paddling once only, got knocked flat (along with my partner) by the waves, picked up and flung on the beach – twice, before I could crawl out. I swallowed loads of salty sea water & my expensive sunglasses and a head band were gone for ever! Spent the rest of the holiday watching others brave it and come unstuck like us, although some small Spanish children were fine, swam like fish and seemed oblivious to the ferocious waves, but then again they were nearer the ground –maybe that helped a bit, but I watched them ready to call for help if needed. Spanish teenage boys had great fun running into the sea, diving into the strong oncoming waves and screaming with delight. Indeed my partner dived into the waves later on in the holiday, but it was a ‘no go area’ for me – in my partners own words “you will drown”! The ridiculous price of 15 Euros for 2 sun beds & 1 umbrella sent us straight to the shops to buy our own which we used for the rest of the holiday. We bought 2 lie lows with backs at 12 Euros each and 1 umbrella at 8 Euros, that’s only 2 days cost of hiring the sun beds & umbrella, so much better value for money and a lot more comfortable too. Also we deflated the lie lows and took them home with us for use next time. There were one set of toilets on the front which were clean and I saw one life guard on the beach.
Car Parking in Hotel Car Park - 10 Euros a day! (She may have said 12 actually) That’s going on for £100 for our 10 day stay, they must be joking! - we parked in neighbouring streets instead for free!! & so did every one else. Short sighted of the hotel as the tiny car park was almost always empty. Had it been under 5 Euros a day they could have made some money out of us for some of our stay any way.
Food - very limited choice, but all well cooked and edible so no complaints there. Would love some lean back bacon well cooked instead of ham type streaky bacon barely cooked for breakfast – but I ate it so I’m not complaining. Breakfast eggs correctly cooked which often isn’t the case in some hotels and nice baked beans (although they were mostly cold). Loved the hotpot and the pasta was ok in the evenings.
Service in Restaurant & Bar - good in hotel, but could be a bit sharp, hostile even, in some surrounding bars and restaurants’. But it’s the end of the season and they are probably sick of the tourists now.
Room – a nice little room with lovely views of the mountain and hillside villa’s. Rock hard beds that wouldn’t necessarily suit every one and did get a bit uncomfortable by the end of the holiday. Very little practical storage space. The very narrow wardrobe’s hanging space was not long enough to hang a short dress or even a longish top, so my dresses had to be accommodated any where/every where possible to hook a hanger over and only my partners shirts hang in the wardrobe, 2 on each hotel hanger!. I always pack all my own hangers, as hotels tend to think that 5 hangers or so between 2 of you for 10 or more nights is sufficient! But I don’t want to wear the same dress 4 evenings or more! And my partner has to have a clean shirt each night as he sweats. Wider wardrobes and sufficient hangers needed please. I yearn for the day when I feel confident enough to leave my hangers at home, think of the weight I would save at check in!
Room Entertainment – the TV only had CNN News, Euro Sport and BBC World News in English – so no curling up to watch a film on the rainy afternoons – pity because we were lost for some thing to do on those wet days. TV needs a channel showing English speaking films urgently!
Maids - I don’t think our maid cleaned our balcony very often during our stay, but the room and bathroom were fine and we always had clean towels (although these were threadbare) so again no real complaints.
Entertainment – we did go late in the season, they announced they were closing early on the 23rd September due to lack of bookings I’m told, & some friends staying longer were having to be moved to the Oasis Tossa. We only noticed 3 lots of entertainment during the whole 10 days (unless we missed one). We enjoyed the entertainment we saw, Flamenco and the same guy in two different guises on two separate nights. We were disappointed they cancelled the BBQ, we asked the head waiter about it as we had expected it and no notices were up saying it was cancelled, he said it was too cold for a BBQ, but there were hotel guests sitting around the BBQ? Who was it too cold for?
Suggestions to make the hotel even better! -
English speaking film channel on TV - urgent
Wider, wardrobe with room for & at least 15 hangers, vertically long enough to take women’s dresses - urgent
Better more comfy balcony seating, with a sun umbrella and a line to dry your swimwear
More padding on the bed mattresses for better comfort and support of joints, giving a more relaxing sleep - urgent
Lean well fried/grilled back bacon for breakfast, with hot baked beans
More choice of evening meal
More evening entertainment – the hotel would earn the fee back from the sale of drinks from the bar
A much reduced hotel parking charge, its better to earn lots of a little than none of a lot
All in all, this hotel suited us down to the ground and is now our favourite hotel in Tossa – I am sure we will be returning in the future and would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CAJKent

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Polish first
Bristol
Reviewed September 19, 2009

We have just returned from 4 nights in this hotel and have had a wonderful time. We were initially a little worried about the fact that the coach could not drop right outside the hotel, but it was a 2 minute walk at most. The staff were friendly, helpful and welcoming on arrival. The room was lovely, clean with a nice modern bathroom and a balcony. For a three star hotel and the price we paid it was far more than I could have hoped for. The food was varied and satisfactory, although a little greasy and heavy on the ham, but that seems to be the way of cooking in the region, but every night there was at least one thing that we were both happy to eat.
The best thing about this hotel is the location, just outside the front door is a lovely road of shops which makes the 5-10 minute walk to the beach a pleasure (and more like an hour if like me you keep popping into shops).
All in all this was a friendly, comfortable hotel (maybe slightly dated decor, but with the same comfort factor as you would find with a favourite elderly relative), located in the centre of a lovely town.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank elfriniel
GHT_Hotels, Director Comercial at GHT Hotel Neptuno, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you the time it took you to write these comments. As our goal is to keep improving our services, for us is very important the feedback from our customers and so be able to get continuous improvement.

As we want to know the needs and dislikes of our customers, we are doing a continuous, comprehensive monitoring of feedback from you, both in establishment and on-line.

In the Hotel Neptuno in Tossa de Mar and also in the rest of the GHT Hotels hotels, a high rate of customers repeat every year and this fills us with pride, but we are not satisfied and we strive every day, so our guests can get with us a great vacation.

Again, thanks for your kind remarks. Also say that we take note about things are not of your complete satisfaction and look forward to see you soon at one of our establishments strategically located along the Costa de Barcelona-Maresme and Costa Brava.

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed August 26, 2009

We stayed in the Neptuno half board. We really liked it overall. It isnt a Radisson style modern, minimalistic hotel. It feels a little old fashioned but in a good way! There are loads of public areas which I liked. Little rooms tucked away for reading or playing cards. You could spend a lot of time in the hotel without feeling claustrophobic.
Wed been worried about the steep hill leading up to the hotel but this really wasnt too much of an issue at all.
The staff were exceptionally nice and friendly escpecially the bar staff and restaurant staff. This was great as to be honest overall we did not find the locals to be friendly. I was a little shocked that waiters and waitresses in many cafes didnt even smile at you. I guess they are just a little reserved!
The food in the buffet was fine. We hadnt actually planned to use the half board option at all, that was just the best overall rate we could find. We were pleasantly surprsed that the food was pretty edible! The breakfasts were fine (maybe bar the bacon and sausage!) and the 2 dinners we ate there werent bad. There is an extremely nice salad bar and the dinner is a BBQ once a week. You can also change and swap dinner for lunch if you ask at reception the night before.
Our rooms were fine. The balconies were a little small and the beds werent amazing but perfectly adequate. If i were to have any compaints about the hotel,-the pool is almost totally in the shade which is unfortunate. Also, they give you some shower gel and shampoo the next day but never restock these which I found a little strange!
However, these are minor complaints. I would stay again happily. One last thing-it didnt matter to us at all but we were the only English speaking people staying in the hotel. It wsa mainly Spanish, French and Dutch. The entertainment was all through Spanish but we still enjoyed it. Better than being stuck in a purpose buit resort with big gangs of 18 year olds!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank star1984
UK
Reviewed September 9, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for a week in June. Whilst I found Tossa a very pleasant place the reason for visiting had been to get some sailing in so I was disappointed to find the sailing school I had located on the net was pretty much inaccessible without a car. Consequently the active holiday I had hoped for became very inactive as whilst Tossa was pleasant for a stroll the beach was not great for watersports or swimming and was very crowded.

Visited Lloret which was very commercial and like Blackpool not my cup of tea at all and I have been to Barcelona many times so a day trip there was not really anything new.

Thus the hotel was the saving grace for me. Frankly had the hotel not been so nice the holiday would have been a real let down.

Room was clean and pleasant with ample space. Bathroom was clean with no faults. The reception area, bar, lounge and gardens were beautifully maintained and I found the bar staff very friendly and eager to help. The pool area was pleasant with plenty of tables and chairs.

Food was pleasant with lots of salad for vegetarians like me although we did eat out some nights. Breakfast was fine, buffet style with lots of choice.

Did not stay to listen to the entertainment as that is not really our thing so cannot comment on that.

I would go back to the hotel for a relaxing weekend away but if I was to stay longer I would arrange a car next time as not enough for me to do in Tossa during the day.

• Liked — well maintained garden and public areas - overall cleanliness
  • Disliked — steep hill to walk up at night (its not far but very steep)
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
lincoln
Reviewed August 21, 2008

Very enjoyable ten day stay. Very nice location just beyond the main centre, only a few minuites walk away. Very quiet hotel, residents of all euro nations. Entertaiment typically spanash a bit cheesy but enjoyable all the same but, not every night. After midnight and ealier very quiet outside. Pool area very nice and rarely crowded. Staff very pleasant and food fine.

We hired a car for our stay, a bit tricky to park near the hotel as the roads are quite narrow and hilly but, eventuly you find one. You can pay 16 euros for a parking space provided by the hotel if you wish.

Tossa is a lovely place, very spanish with no british pubs or cafes, well we did not see any.

If looking for a peaceful holiday with no frills in a very clean and pleasant enviroment this is the place.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank boattrip

Newcastle
Reviewed August 8, 2008

This was my 3rd stay at the Neptuno. My previous experiences had been good, so obviously I chose this hotel when returning to beautiful Tossa this year. Unfortunately, this stay was dreadful; so dreadful in fact, we won't EVER return. A few things are listed below which you should consider if you've booked or are thinking of booking:

1) Lack of sleep - All the walls are paper thin so be prepared to have to listen to whatever is going on in the rooms around you - e.g. kids screaming all night, people slamming doors etc. I would regularly be kept awake well after 2am and then woken again at 6am.

2) Room location - Catch 22 - The rooms facing the pool have lovely views, but are unbelievably noisy, especially those nights when the so-called "entertainment" is playing. On the other hand, the rooms which don't face the pool are much quieter however most look out over an embankment - not very pretty.

3) Entertainment - its horrendous like the funny auditions for the X factor- bloke playing a keyboard (badly) and singing auld lang syne; bloke playing guiter (badly) and murdering a combination of Elvis songs and hymns ("when the saints go marching in" WTF??) All very surreal and a real treat if your room is over looking the pool-you can't even listen to your TV or sleep its THAT loud.

4) Food- aka the school dinner hall - Oh dear. Lots of lovely salad but thats about it (also great if youre a chips fan - every night!). The hot food, well, sometimes its labelled and sometimes its not so youre not quite sure what kind of animal your eating. Every night there is "fish" however you are never actually told what kind of fish it is. Dessert - lots of blamonge type stuff, a different colour every night! Myself and my husband came down with a nasty bout of food poisoning on our last day which lasted a week once we got home- please note we did eat out at another restaurant in Tossa so I can't say for certain that the Neptuno caused this. However the food is of a very low standard; e.g. one night we thought yummy, proper dessert at last- profiteroles; bit into them to find they were frozen SOLID.

5)Bathroom - careful of the showers - if someone flushes a toilet anywhere in the hotel it'll loose pressure causing either freezing or scalding water to come out without warning.

Finally, I would have adressed all these issues with the hotel upon my departure had I been given the opportunity. We had to check out very early in the morning 3am and the night time receptionist offered simply a grunt and our safe deposit money back - no enquiry about our stay, no feedback form to fill in, nada.

Next year we will be staying at the Diana and I would advise Thomas Cook, if they want to keep their customers to either decrease the Neptunos star rating or take it off its books altogether.

• Liked — Its in Tossa which is lovely
  • Disliked — Its substandard in every respect
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank CLM1
London
Reviewed May 12, 2008

After reading some of the previous reviews we weren’t really expecting a lot from the Neptuno, and had only booked as a cheap extension to our holiday after 3 days in Barcelona.

However despite some of the previous comments we only have praise for the hotel, which at the beginning of May provided exceptional value for money.

The reception staff were very polite and helpful and all spoke good English, the general cliental of the hotel during our stay were “older” English and German couples which didn’t both us as a relatively young couple (30 & 26) as the hotel was generally peaceful and quite.

We paid €43 per night for a double room (B&B) which was facing the pool and the mountains and which was kept very clean and well stocked for the duration of our stay.

The breakfasts were of a reasonable standard for the grade of hotel and price paid, and consisted of a buffet of pastries / cereals, and a cooked option of sausage’s, bacon, egg’s Ect.

The hotel has a very good location in a quieter part of the town, whilst only being a very short walk down into the old town & Villa Vella, and also an easy stroll to the newer part of the town and the market area, the only point to note is that it is a relatively steep (if short) walk up to the hotel which may not be suitable for anyone with impaired mobility.

I would defiantly recommend this hotel as a cheaper option to some of the other hotels in the area., although we did note that in the high season the price rises to somewhere near €120 per night which may be a little excessive for the grade of the hotel (very moderate 3* at best)

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank chrisro55