“Charming hotel”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Monte Gordo
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Charming hotel”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

My friend and I went to the Hotel Vasco Da Gama for 2 weeks on the 1st April 2014. We had a charming room with a sea view. Yes as some people have said the furniture is probably a little old fashioned but lots of wardrobe space and the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in abroad. There was a fridge and a safe in the room which were free unlike most hotels. There were also free toiletries in the bathroom and a hairdryer. The bath was a little high but I managed it ok and I have recently had a hip replacement.We paid a little extra for our room so maybe it is worth checking what you get when you book as I know from speaking to Susan M who has reviewed the hotel too that her room was unacceptable.
The hotel is in an ideal spot right on the beach and with in easy reach of public transport if you want to visit Spain or other towns.
We had to queue and go down lots of stairs on the first evening but after a word with the waitress we were then able to get a lift into the wash up area of the kitchen as my friend has great difficulty walking. This actually became quite enjoyable as the ladies washing up greeted us every day with friendly comments and smiles.
The breakfast is fantastic with eggs cooked while you wait so not dried up and hard. The evening meal could be a bit repetitive and as I don't eat meat didn't always suit me but I didn't starve as there was 2 kinds of soup and plenty salad. If you pick your time to go down you can get tables for 2 or 4 as there were only a few long tables usually taken up by groups of friends and on the odd occasion we had to sit at a long table we found people very friendly no matter what nationality they were.
I would definitely go to this hotel again

Room Tip: Request a sea view room when you book even if it costs a bit more it is well worth it
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Alma B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Polish first
BELFAST
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Built in 1960s and some original features still there. Grounds and pools clean and enjoyable.Through back gate and you are on the beach. Breakfast good but if you pay for half board the food disappoints.mustdo better to capture this market. Strangely there are T A certificates of excellence in the display cases for 2014

Room Tip: Pretend to be Portuguese or spanish
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank TUBMAN_10
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Hotel lived up to rating ,great choice of food at buffet and friendly staff. Rooms are dated but clean and full of character. Views great from 5th floor sea view and 2 minute walk to beach and bars/restaurants.

Room Tip: 5th floor sea view great.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Richard D
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We arrived at the Hotel Vasco Da Gama on the 1st of April 2014 around 2 30 pm and given the key to room 214 having seen the photos on the website I was very excited to get in and see our sea view room, what a terrible dark old room greeted us( I will post the photos soon) the bathroom was no better the light would flicker on and off the bath must have been over 2 foot high with large side panels at each end !! the toilet holder fell off the wall , I went back into the bedroom to put on some lights! one side light did not work also the bed side light would not work ! I had seen enough, I wanted to go out side on to the balcony and have a cigarette and enjoy the view no ashtray so off I went to ask for one ! only to be told this is a no smoking hotel !! ( I could smell smoke along the corridor) well that was it I was not staying here, so I phoned the holiday helpline I could not reach them so at 5 30 I was outside the hotel waiting for the rep to visit ! Jo was her name she was very helpful and told us it would be the next day before we could move and she would phone us at 9am the next morning. We did go down for dinner we had to wait at the top of the stairs in a queue for a table after 15 minutes they told us to come down, there were a lot of stairs to get down not very good for me and my new knee! we were shown to a long plastic table with 6 Dutch or German couples already sat eating there, then 2 plastic chairs were pulled out and we had to sit at the end of the table with them, My dear husband almost fainted his word to me we were we will not be coming down here again for breakfast this is like a school canteen, My Husband as never smoked and does not like me smoking but I am sure for once he was glad that I did because he knew I would get us moved roll on 9am Wednesday, Jo phoned at 9 am and told we could move we went for the Alcazar Hotel still in Monte Gordo What a Fantastic clean modern hotel please look at the photos I will post when I do my review and if you can have a look on the website and yes true photos on there site, the alcazer hotel was just wonderful . I know people do good reviews on the vasco da gama and go back year after year but maybe they get the nice rooms that are shown on the holiday websites ( which I think is the case) oh and also maybe they can go though the hotel kitchen to get a table and not go down the stairs!!! Which I do know is true of a couple of ladies who told me that is what they do but one of them is very poorly so it is understandable.

I did chat to a lady who said her room was very nice and had a nice bathroom also she was a smoker and smokes on her balcony and told me that is what all the smokers do and I should do the same!! Not me I am off to a nice hotel with a proper dinning room with tables set for 2 people or 4 and which also had 2 lifts that go down to it, and best of all a lovely balcony with nice chairs and a ashtray on the table now at last I could look out to sea with my cup of tea and think what a wonderful place to have a holiday .

Room Tip: Make sure they give you the room that you have seen on the website,
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Susan M
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel twice last year, and we are going back in May this year , we are going to Renewing our vows this time, We love it here, the Staff are very Friendly, and nothing is to much trouble, the food is good, The Pool area is lovely, the snack bar by the pool is nice and do nice food at a reasonable price, ideal location, right near the beach, would recommend this hotel :)

Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Carol S
Yorkshire
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Would really have liked to give this hotel 3.5 stars as it's above average but wouldn't go so far as to say very good! Stayed here for a week on my own the first week of January. The location is wonderful - right on the beach so the rooms at the front all have fantastic views. It's a bit old-fashioned, but in a charming way, everything is very clean, with staff who are pleasant but not intrusive.
I wasn't particularly impressed by the food personally, though I have to admit I'm not a great fan of buffet food (though happy to put up with it for a week) and I don't eat meat which seriously limited my options. Don't think it's any worse than any other 3 star hotel I've stayed in so it was what I expected, and I got a very good deal for half board, so I'm certainly not complaining, you get what you pay for, though I do feel a bit surprised reading some of the other reviews who are waxing quite lyrical about the food!
At the time I went, the hotel seems mainly to cater to much older retired people - at the ripe old age of 54 I felt a bit of a spring chicken (not something that happens very often) - or very young fit people who are presumably athletes in training, so I was glad I like my own company and took plenty of books (though the hotel has a very good bookcase and also books left on the landings on each floor so I didn't run short) - again, this was what I expected and had prepared for, and a week with time and space to myself was just what I wanted after a very busy few months, but I'm aware this might not suit everybody in my situation.
Even though Monte Gordo is a bit of nondescript town (well, certainly early January, a lot of places were closed) the beach and surrounding areas are fantastic, particularly for anyone who (like me) loves walking and getting out and about exploring - the beach is glorious, goes on for miles in both directions, also the town is surrounded by fantastic woodland walks and trails for either walking or cycling (also used as others have said by all the athletes in training). If you want to go a bit further afield, try visiting Vila Real (few minutes on the bus, or walk in under an hour) also from there you can get a ferry over to Ayamonte, or head off in the other direction by bus or train to Tavira.
So overall, an enjoyable week, and although I didn't find the food at Vasca da Gama particularly inspiring, it was perfectly adequate and wouldn't put me off from visiting again - and the location and other aspects of the hotel more than made up for the food!

Room Tip: Make sure you're at the front of the hotel to have a sea view. I was on the second floor, just...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Skopelos
Kent
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Visited this hotel 5 yrs ago and was again amazed by the high standard of the food, and the standard of service by the staff. The hotel room, though a little tired was extremely clean and the bed comfortable with immaculate bed linen and towels. The service in the restaurant was faultless and the waiting staff always cheerful, obliging and efficient. The choice of food was exceptional, plentiful and of a very high quality. The hotel is situated on the beach, a perfect location. Monte Gordo is very flat and ideal for walking (all levels) and safe cycling, there are plenty of hire shops for bikes. Trips to Faro and Tavira are far cheaper by train and if you are over 65 on showing passport or Dvg lic, fares are heavily subsidised. Faro 5 euro return. We found lots to do and see. In VR de Santo Antonio there is the Olympic sports stadium where lots of sporting events are held, we saw Ladies International and boys international football tournaments during our stay and entrance was free. Just to watch the athletes from all countries training there is a great experience. Trips leave from the hotel to local markets for a few euros and longer trips to Seville, Lisbon and Gibraltar are available. We did Gibraltar previously and it is a long day! It is possible to purchase all popular brands of everything you would need on holiday in local supermarkets and nearby Lidl's so no need to carry excesive toiletaries ect., also the hotel has free wifi and the computer is 1 euro for 15 mins. A good selection of paperbacks available in a large bookcase in one of the lounges. The ferry to Ayamonte in Spain takes15 mins and runs on the half hour out and returns on the hour, it is worth a visit, Saturday is market day a good 10min stroll otherside of town, Nothing special, just a typical clothes jumble. We hope to return to this hotel soon. .

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple