“In need of serious renovation to justify its price”

Quality Hotel Grand Kongsberg
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Kongsberg
Somerset
“In need of serious renovation to justify its price”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

This hotel relies heavily on the Oil and Gas businesses in Kongsberg. The fact that there is little Hotel competition in Kongsberg and the oil and gas industry is flourishing the Grand Hotel has manipulated it's position. Prices are too high and the standard of the hotel is poor.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Qualitykong, Front Office Manager at Quality Hotel Grand Kongsberg, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for your feedback.

The demand in Kongsberg is very high now and that is increasing the prices.
We are continuously renovating our rooms, we finished 23 rooms this summer, and we will continue with this during the next year.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Bergen
Reviewed September 1, 2012

The rooms are nice, although a bit dated. Location is good; in the middle of Kongsberg with cinema, shopping and eating all in short range from the hotel.
The breakfast was a bit of a disappointment, I think Choice has a job to do here, not only in Kongsberg but in several hotels. Doesn't help with ecologically grown food when the selection is so limited.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Hotel setting is very nice, adjacent to a river with small waterfall. Quite a lot of water noise when windows left open. Hotel has a swimming pool, spa and fitness room. The first single room I was given on the 2nd floor was very small with a very narrow bed and lacked other facilities. Was able to move to the 4th floor where there was a normal size single bed. In room - mini bar, trouser press, desk and large TV. Excellent buffet breakfast with all tastes catered for - fried eggs, waffles, croissants as well as cold meats, cheese, cereals, fruit, etc. Stayed one night as part of a coach trip. Meal provided in hotel on the trip. It was OK, but small portions.

Room Tip: Higher room numbers, eg 425 are further away from the river and will be quieter!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
plymouth
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Arrived tired as we were on a motor bike tour,and had not long travelled across Denmark & spent 4hrs. on the ferry from Hirtshals to Larvik. We found there was not any free parking.
The bikes had to be parked over night,in a car park underneath the hotel,there is a lift in the reception,which has access directly into the underground parking.It cost 100NK.for one bike.
We were only 3days into the holiday, the next morning we discovered a bike had been stolen,which were all locked with chains.There are gangs running the area,we were told by police, the poor chap,had to abandon his holiday & fly home.
No complains,with the room,the food was ok.But the beer was £10 a pint, the dearest we had in Norway.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank youngandsixty
Qualitykong, Front Office Manager at Quality Hotel Grand Kongsberg, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Hello,

Thank you so much for your review. We sincerly value your input, and remarks.

I am so sorry that one of your bikes was stolen from the parking house. This has not happend here before, and I sincerly hope that it will not happen again. Still I am sorry that this happend to you during your holiday and that your friend had to abandon his holiday and fly home.

I do hope that the rest of your stay here was good, and that we can welcome you back at a later occation.

Bergen, Norway
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I had a horrible time at this hotel. I was on the 4th floor and the room was tiny, the bed was small (too small) and it felt like I was renting a hostel or a dormitory. Worst of all the price was sky high. I saw an empty wine bottle in the mini bar on arrival and it was still there the day of my departure.
The only good thing here was that; the staff were very nice and cheerful the, receiption area and bar was a sharp contrast (better) of how my room looked.
Overall This is one of the worst hotels I have spend time at.

Room Tip: I heard some rooms are very nice, please avoid R414.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank KlipDen
Thank you for your review. I appreciate that you took the time to give us great feedback.

I would like to apologize that the room didn't meet your expectations. We will renovate some of the rooms so that the quality of our product improves. I appreciate that you mention the room number so that we can take a look at the room and improve what is not meeting our standard.

I will also talk to housekeeping manager about the wine bottle not being replaced in the minibar, so that this will not happen again.

I hope that the rest of your stay was good, and that we can welcome you back on a later occation.

Bergen, Norway
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I visit KOngsberg often and stay at hotell. Rooms differs greatly from stay to stay and from floor to floor, so it is lottery. But standard is midt on tree, good enough not to complain. Staff is very nice. Restaurant is OK, a bit expensive.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your reveiw. I appreciate that you took the time to give us this reveiw.

If you are staying with us a lot, please let us know if you have a favourite room so that we can try to please your wishes.

I hope that we can welcome you back to Qaulity Hotel Grand.

Galway
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Stayed here a few times when visiting Kongsberg. I have never had a bad experience. The rooms are nice and the hotel food is nice. I would have no problems in going back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kongsberg
Best Western Plus Gyldenlove Hotell
Comfort Hotel Union Brygge
No photo provided
Kongsberg Youth Hostel
#1 of 6 in Kongsberg

Been to Quality Hotel Grand Kongsberg? Share your experiences!