Heimly Pensjonat
$186
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewstrain stationfjord viewnice dinner and breakfastsmall showerlarge picture windowsstewpeasboarding housethe staff was friendly and helpfulsimple hotelrooms are basic but cleanthree course mealroom facingset menupublic areaspleasant hotelpushed together
Reviewed September 8, 2011

I brought my parents for a trip to see the fjords. They are in their 70's and did not find the 500 meter walk from the train to the hotel at all difficult. The driveway is steep, but it's about fifteen feet from the road to the hotel's door. It might be some cause for concern if the weather was icy, but not otherwise. The rooms were linoleum floored, but very very clean. The beds were cots. I mean *fold in the middle* cots, narrow and on the short side, but I thought they were comfortable and the sheets were crisp and the duvets were nice. It's true that the proprietor looked at me oddly every time I asked her anything, but she said yes to every request. There's a really nice room downstairs to watch TV and eat any food you brought. The view is spectacular. The hotel is solidly built and the rooms were quiet.

They have a liquor cabinet! Okay, maybe I am little enthusiastic, but we spent a couple of hours in the rain on the ferry and being able to have a cognac at the end of the day without going out to a bar was a real treat. I really, really, liked the Heimly. I hope to travel to Flåm again in the spring and I will definitely stay at the Heimly if I can.

Room Tip: I had a fjord view, but the hillside behind the hotel was lovely in its own way.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We were pleased to find that we could leave our bags at the guesthouse prior to our check-in as we were going to arrive about 3 hours early (when we had called ahead of time). The guesthouse is located approx 500 meters from the ferry docking area and/or the train station. My husband, daughter, and I were greeted very warmly on arrival and surprisingly we were given our room right away. They provided a nice wooden crib for our daughter, although the room was very cramped. The accommodation is very minimal (only 1 outlet, no desk/table, no tv/radio/clock, and no hairdryer, although we were provided one from the front desk upon request-not a good one, though). The room is very quaint to say the least and the shower room/toilet is also very small without a cabinet or shelf. However, none of this mattered to us because we were in Flam to see the sights and take the scenic train to Oslo. The views from the Heimly were magnificent! We did request a fjord view from previous tripadvisor recommendations (thanks!) The beds were older and my husband and I slept on separate twins, but we had a good nights sleep.

The breakfast area also has very nice view of the fjords (however, the guest rooms are located on higher floors and provide a bit better view). They have highchairs for guests with children. The breakfast was included and consisted of bread, meats/cheeses, spreads/jams, boiled eggs, cereals, and coffee/tea.

Overall, this guesthouse is very basic with a decent breakfast and extraordinary views.

Room Tip: Ask for a scenic view/fjord view
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2011

We got a room that has fjord view, so the rate is justiable for the view we had. The breakfast was quite nice. Standard food but lots of choice.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2011

We read a previous review which said that this pensjonat is up a steep hill. This is completely untrue - it is an easy 5 minute walk from the ferry. The view from our room was superb - we could see straight down the fjord from our bed. The breakfast was good; the staff were a bit reserved but not unfriendly (as stated by a previous reviewer). An expensive night for us but everything in Norway is expensive and we thoroughly enjoyed our 2 night stay.

Room Tip: Book early and ask for a room overlooking the fjord.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2011

For a night or two this place is fine - although I'd be interested to know how the price compares to the other hotels in Flam. The rooms are very basic, but quiet and if you're at the front you'll have an amazing view of the fjord. The one thing we couldn't get over was the smell. It wasn't in the least overpowering, but it seemed as though they had sewage problems. Either that or they use some very unusual cleaning products. Breakfast was okay - slightly better than a bog-standard affair.

Room Tip: Try to get one at the front for an amazing view of the fjord - nothing to see out the back.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple