“Great little hotel”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Flam
Foster, Australia
“Great little hotel”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We arrived on the ferry from Gudsvangen but were warmly welcomed to book in. The hotel was full with a conference so the very nice receptionist explained that we were being upgraded to a room in the adjoining building which also houses the cafe and the restaurant. We are on first floor with balcony, lovely living area, totally separate bedroom and bathroom. Wonderful. Free Wifi and good explanation that breakfast which is included is served in the cafe from 8 - 10. Also it was suggested that we book into the restaurant for dinner as there were already many visitors in Flam although the first cruise ship had only arrived that morning.
Dinner in the restaurant is buffet and whilst expensive it is no more expensive than the rest of this very expensive country. It had soup, cold buffet and hot buffet with good attractively laid out food and a yummy pudding bar ! An excellent tourist office has lots of information and the Railway Museum which is the story of the Flam to Mydral railway really worth a visit and it is free !
Only downside the lady in the cafe where we have breakfast is not up to the welcoming level of the receptionist and the waiting staff.
Really good value - there is no doubt a good receptionist can make or break a hotel. She was excellent.

Room Tip: If you can either book or get upgraded to one of the larger family room which are really 3 rooms - l...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Having a guest arriving in Norway for Easter, we booked 2 rooms at the Flåmsbrygga Hotel as a stopover on our Norway in a Nutshell tour. We were well aware that we were travelling in the off season and that there wouldn't be much available to us for our stay and that was fine for us. The hotel is reasonably priced for Norway and we found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The rooms are basic but comfortable and we loved being able to sit out on the balcony to enjoy a beer from the brewery on the ground level. Although it was quiet, it was really relaxing - a benefit to visiting in the spring
I think the hotel has real potential to be 'the' place to stay in Flåm but they would need to make some small steps to improve - better selection of tea & coffee in room, upgraded toiletries and tourist information in room would go along way. That being said, we would stay here again.

Room Tip: The higher up the better & if booking 2 rooms, ask for them on either side of the hotel so that...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The area of Flam is scenic and very quiet, the hotel receptionist is very helpful and you get free wifi.
However, the hotel is extremely extremely expensive for what is on offer, I was expecting a much larger room with a double bed instead it was a small room with twin beds. Also, the food for dinner is expensive and pretty terrible, you do not get a choice of food and have to pay up front. The service was a little bit slow, the lamb we were given did not have much meat and was very fatty. The dessert was also a mousse which was not good. Unfortunately this is how Norway is, very expensive.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ianoflynn
Perth
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here march 2013, the hotel itself is lovely,the lady at reception was realltay friendly and helpful. The rom was clean, nice decor, great view and balcony. Cant fault much at all... Until you go to the cafe or restaurant! Nothing else is open in the whole area so you have no choice where to go. The other cafes and pub is closed for winter.sovienier shops open from 1-3 only. So we went to the cafe which wasnt much available but we had to eat so choose something. The couple infront of had been waiting a while to order. There were no staff in sight. They finally rang the bell and a lady came out,no smile, no hello. They ordered then us. Our buzzer went off to say our food was ready. I went to the counter our food was sitting there, no one in sight again. My meal was wrong but there wasnt anyone around to tell. I checked our reciept and they ouer charged us aswell. Couldnt be bothered waiting and dealing with them we just left it. Dinner comes with your room so we went to the restaurant run by the same people no staff insight again! we wandered around and waited 5- 10 minutes,then the same grumpy lady from the cafe takes us to our table and tells us what we will be eating, there was no menu,or drink menu so we had water. The lady then walks out the restaurant,returns a while later with our food then walks out again. More people came and stood around at the enterance looking as confused as we were. Finally they got put next to us and was talking about how awkward this place was aswell. We all got given the same food which was terrible. It looked good on the plate then tasted like a microwave dinner,i could only eat i little bit. Dessert was suprisingly nice,cappucino moose. We were ready to leave but there was no one around to say thankyou or just say goodbye,we waited around 15 mins and just thought stuff it lets go.they didnt have our voucher or anything. Next morning for breakfast same thing happend no body in sight. The breakfast was terrible, pretty much nothing there. There was dishes over the other tables,looks like they had been there the whole time then after everyone leaves they must clean up. No customer service what so ever. Wouldnt recomend staying in flam until everythings open so you dont have to go there.

• Stayed March 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Flam is a tourist destination with lots of cruise ships visiting and the famous railway. This place is right by the fjord and has, depending on your point of view, the advantage of being a few 10s of meters away from the enormous cruise ships when they dock. I liked spending the start and end of the day watching the bustle or them arriving and departing. The hotel itself has a log cabin type feel, and has the added bonus of a brewery at the back (who could ask for more). The rooms are nice, and all have a balcony. Breakfast was taken in the restaurant and had a decent selection.

Room Tip: The hotel has three floors, stay on the top. The 'front' of the hotel directly overlooks whe...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JonFromUk
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel as part of the Norway in a Nutshell tour, as I guess many other guests do. I arrived at around 1:30pm and was told on check in that the only option for dinner was the cafe, which was to close at 5pm, so I needed to go no later than 4:30pm. The bar, which I had really been looking forward to trying was closed for winter, as was the restaurant.

Breakfast was another challenge as I was intending to leave around 9am. I was told I'd need to have a 'breakfast box' as breakfast was only served from 10am - in the cafe also. I don't know about other people, but I generally prefer to have breakfast several hours earlier than 10am, particularly if I've eaten dinner at 4:30pm.

I collected the breakfast box later, which I unfortunately had to put out on the balcony to keep cool as the whole reception and lounge area was closed from 6pm until...... yes, you guessed it, 10am. That meant frozen salad and tomatoes, frozen ham and fruit, and instant coffee from a packet. There was plenty of food but definitely 'cafe' quality rather than being on a par with other Norwegian hotel breakfasts.

It also meant I had to spend the evening in my room with no other alternatives, and the coffee machine downstairs was in the locked area of the reception.

The room itself was nice, although there were a few elements which made it more like a motel than a hotel worthy of the price tag - there were no toiletries, only dispenser soap / shower gel, tiny towels (one of which had a huge black mark on it, looked like soot!).
The beds were narrow and strangely soft, rather like sleeping in a marshmallow. The pillows were dreadful - lumpy synthetic, and the worst I've slept on since my arrival in Norway. For a hotel such as this I'd expect feather pillows, or better quality ones. The sheets were of a reasonable quality.

One of the most surprising problems was that the curtains were too small to cover the windows! With 2 windows either side of a door to the balcony, I had to choose whether to have a window uncovered, or a big gap in the middle and light coming through the door.
Given there were electric lights outside which shone all night, this was very annoying.

The room was otherwise well appointed, with a comfortable chair, nice cushions and a decent sized coffee table for me to spread out my breakfast 'buffet'.
WiFi was reasonable, but it took me to a new login page several times, which I couldn't read as it was in Norwegian only. I'm hoping it didn't tell me I was about to be charged.

The meal I had in the cafe was nice, but expensive, and I had a 'takeaway' beer from the shop (55 nok instead of 90nok served in the bar or cafe, or hotel reception - to do with Norwegian taxes I am told). The beer was very nice, only a shame I couldn't drink it in the bar with some fellow travelers.

The saving grace for this hotel was the staff - the lovely lady on reception who did everything she could to help, and was most apologetic about the closures, and the equally lovely lady who served me in the cafe and sold me beer - then who found me a glass and bottle opener to take to my room. They partially made up for what was otherwise a disappointing stay.

I strongly feel the hotel should have something on its website about this - given the closures appear to be for 3 months of the year this isn't insignificant.
Re-reading the website last night (I obviously had plenty of time on my hands!) I notice it is mentioned under 'opening hours' for the bar - something I hadn't even considered might be relevant.

This hotel may be fabulous 'in season' but in winter it appears to be little more than a place to rest on the nutshell tour. I understand the difficulties of staffing a hotel for so few guests, but would have preferred to have known this before I booked - I may have chosen a different accommodation, or even continued the tour in 1 day.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank claire_fowler
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed at the Flamsbrygga Hotel when I was in Flam. It was wonderful, from the moment we checked into the hotel all the way till we checked out. The lady at the counter was extremely polite to entertain to our various needs as we were travelling with a wide age range, from kids to elderly on wheelchairs. Needless to say, the wifi provided was incredibly efficient. If you had to live somewhere in Flam for period of time, look no further than the Flamsbrygga Hotel. Strategically situated near the harbour and facing endless fjords, it really was in a good location, and waking up to nature was simply the only way to enjoy Flam. Thanks for making my short stay so wonderful. :-) I would most definitely pay another visit in summer!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Flam
Fretheim Hotel
Vangsgaarden
Vangsgaarden
#3 of 8 in Aurland Municipality
Vatnahalsen Hoyfjellshotell

Been to Flamsbrygga Hotell? Share your experiences!