“Bike Hire - Myrdal to Flam”
Review of Cafe Rallaren

Cafe Rallaren
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Myrdal
Cuisines: Norwegian
Reviewed September 14, 2018

I hired a bike last week to take the route from Myrdal to Flam. The cost for the bike was 350 NOK (Approx £35) for around a 1-2 hour journey depending on if you stopped off.

The bike hire process was easy. I reserved the bike online and paid at the cafe when I collected it. I didn't need to pre book to be honest as there were plenty of bikes and it was absolutely raining, but can imagine on a good day they could be in high demand.

The bikes themselves are good quality mountain bikes with sturdy frames and large thick wheels for the gravel paths.

The route was easy and mostly gravel but moved onto roads. Road traffic was minimal and I felt pretty safe throughout (they provide helmets too). Some comments mention that the route isn;t for beginners but I would disagree...just don't go too fast and you'll be fine.

The views along the way were something else. Great waterfalls, views of the valley, and rivers, as well as tunnels. It was pretty cool. There are plenty of places to stop along the way if you wish. The cafe does provide a takeaway bag of food if you need one, however it does cost and arm and a leg (typical high Norwegian prices).

Once at the bottom I left the bike in the allocated space and got a train back up to Myrdal to continue my journey. Be aware the train back up is almost as expensive as the train back up as once in Flam you are in the tourist trap and they can charge what they like for trains!!!

If in the area I would recommend the bike ride.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed August 26, 2018

We didn't actually eat at the restaurant, just rented bikes to ride down the mountain to Flam. The bikes were good quality, and individually set up, and we were given good instructions. The bike ride was fantastic! Best tour of our three week trip.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed August 18, 2018 via mobile

Myrdal is only a train station, so this is your only choice. Considering that, it is especially nice. There’s a limited selection of fresh and tasty pre-made sandwiches, homemade soup, pancakes with strawberry jam and sour cream (so good). Really more than we expected.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank cararro
Reviewed July 31, 2018

We took the notorious Flåm Railway to Myrdal and picked up our pre-reserved bikes at Cafe Rallaren. Bikes were good quality and well-maintained. Bike trip back to Flåm was the best experience!
Tip #1 Downhill on the gravel can be a bit tricky and is suitable only for experienced bikers.
Tip #2 If you take a right turn after approx. 1 km from Myrdal (instead of the classical road to Flåm) and continue for another kilometer, you can stop by a beautiful Reinungavatnet lake and then return to the road to Flåm.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed July 29, 2018 via mobile

We stopped here for lunch on our way to Oslo. They only serve 2 hot dishes: a soup for 90 kr and a microwave lasagna for 135 kr. I took the lasagna cause you can’t do anything wrong with that. But it was quite small so fairly overprices for that size.

Date of visit: July 2018