“Good food in a unique setting”
Review of The Black Pearl - CLOSED

The Black Pearl
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Perched on land at the edge of Msida Yacht Marina, lies a 100 year old wooden schooner, The Black Pearl. Proud operators of popular Ferretti Restaurant and Haywharf Restaurant & Clubhouse, Ferretti Catering Ltd, have craftily refurbished and developed a new concept for this legendary ship. The Upper deck lies an A la Carte Restaurant with its breathtaking views whilst the Pub is housed in the lower deck, offering an all day hospitality, streaming sports and a varied ba food menu.
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This place is actually an old ship that's been transformed into a restaurant. It is located on land, so it's safe for those who suffer from sea-sickness ;) but it's right on the water's edge so you have a lovely view across the marina and buildings opposite. We arrived shortly after it opened in the evening so we had the place to ourselves for a half hour or so. The service is excellent and the food is good, though the mushroom soup was nothing special, and they serve wine by the glass which is great for the occassional drinker. It's a bit pricey and I would hesitate to recommend it for families with young children, since the place will tempt them to run around playing pirates but it's not that kind of restaurant. Overall a good experience and will be back.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

The restaurant is in the shape of a ship and is a very creative idea and the atmosphere is lovely. The staff was very friendly but I was disappointed because they forgot my chips and I had to wait like 15 minutes (which are a lot when the restaurant was almost empty) to begin my dinner. Overall I enjoyed the evening there because the food is lovely and well served.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I visited this restaurant last Wednesday it has an excellent atmosphere the waiter was nice greeted us and told us the specialty of the day. I ordered pasta which was not fresh for €12.00 and rib-eye and my girlfriend took the same. The food was average but the dessert was horrible we ordered chocolate fondant the inner chocolate tasted really bad and we waited 35mins for this to be ready.
In other words I expected a much better quality food from this restaurant maybe the chef was having a bad day I don't know. But I don't think I will return. 4/10

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Recently back from Malta again. First time we'd tried this place as its not in a 'touristy area'. (see photo & directions at www.maltamaltamalta.com/activities/dining-out/#sliema) About half full & bit of a wait but not so bad with the view you get!! Steak & wine excellent as was atmosphere. Very novel and a nice experience.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We went last weekend and the food was great, ambience wonderful with an amazing view. There was also a nice slow breeze so it felt great with all the ship windows open (they also have industrial fans inside so the temperature was quite nice) and you could see the bastions all lit up and the moon reflecting off the calm sea. I would suggest booking a table next to the windows so that you enjoy the experience to the max. Food was excellent even if a bit pricey (two mains, one dessert and one hot drink together with two glasses of lemonade totaled €60) by local standards, but overall worth it especially for a romantic evening. My only problem was with the dessert - choice was very limited and I ordered the white chocolate ganance. However, something made up of milk (ie brown) chocolate turned up on my plate. It looked good and I didn't want to spoil the evening by complaining so I ate it anyway - but there was a bit of lettuce stuck to it, and that was a bit offputting. I presumed they used the same knife that had been used to cut up lettuce, or the knife was not cleaned properly (??). Apart from that I would definitely go again!