“Surprisingly excellent”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The food was realy delicious. The young staff wonderful. The decor vile and the house rose excellent. Good value

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Reading the other reviews below I get the feeling this place must be under new management in 2012! We went in here with low expectations after reading these reviews but we were in for a treat.

We went for dinner with three kids - first of all, they had a kids menu!! Secondly, the staff smiled and were friendly and they were willing to speak english and did so very well (I try to speak some french but I never learned it, so I can ask for directions to the mens room and order two beers)

No point in making this a long review - you have to go there and try it out. I got a salmon tartar for starters - it was probably the best one I ever had.

Main course was Loup de Mer and it was perfectly cooked, beautifully arranged and excellent flavours.

The place was packed, so either reserve a table or go there prepared to wait for it (which we did and it took about 45 minutes, which was no problem as it is beautiful around here)

Good job Café du Progres

Reviewed September 27, 2011

The view and the terrace are very nice. But the food was very disappointing. The menu made us very curious about the food, but the kitchen failed to meet our expectations. A real shame.

So if you want a cup of coffee in the evening or afternoon? Go for it. But for food I would recommend you to go to another restaurant.

Hint: There's a very nice one right up the street!

Reviewed September 24, 2011

Very basic coffee shop really, that does food in the evening. There are much better places within 10 metres.

1  Thank Roger D
Reviewed September 25, 2008

Another bad restaurant experience in Bormes Les Mimosas!

This was better than the appalling Lou Portaou but not by much.

We had the EUR35 menu where you can choose 3 courses. I had the foie gras starter which was served with tinned peach and tinned pineapple "chutney". Why do you need tinned peaches in the south of France? It was served with salad leaves that were gritty. Then I had the risotto with scallops. I've never had risotto that was boiled rice drizzled with olive oil and a few overcooked scallops put on top. I complained about it but nothing was taken off the bill- in fact we did not have the dessert but we were charged the full EUR 35 each. When I complained they let me off EUR2 which was the a la carte price for the starter and main course but even that was challenged. My guest has melon and ham which was nice followed by steak and fries. The steak was OK but was a very small piece.

I asked for a wine recommendation and got a 2007 local red wine which was too rough since it was young. This was another EUR100 meal wasted

2  Thank fru_sorteravn