“Like The Character” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Holstebro
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Like The Character”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

I totally agree with one of the comments up there on the pillow issue.. I was turning left and right on bed adjusting to be comfortable as I am used to sleeping on high pillow or double of the softer ones. Not only was there just one pillow, it was so thin. So, I ended with folding my bed comforter to pillow size - nice and thick albeit a bit stiff ;-) and used my pillow as a bolster replacement and slept like a baby - working with B&O must have made me quite innovative haha..

But what I really like about the hotel was it's authentic feel. To me, coming from Malaysia, Hotel Shaumburg has it's originality and charm. The staff was friendly and nice and breakfast was really good.

And the back lane of the hotel opened up to a sweet experience for me - small little shops selling candies, sourvenirs and stuffs - wonder if they are still there.

It was long time ago that I was there - year 2001, I think.. I am very sure some upgrading have been done since then but I really hope that it's originality and character is kept.

And yes, the CRT B&O tv, that one should be changed :-)

Really hope to visit again..

Thanks for that wonderful stay.

Sabri
Kuala Lumpur, malaysia

p.s - had to choose Jan 2012 as a false travel date as it was compulsory to select a date ( should give option to type) and can't find any photo to share, sorry - did took a few tho'

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

Good position, close to river.
People kind and the room is fine.
Quite strange for foreign people to sleep in these bed with "nordica".
Good the irish pub inisde the hotel, large choicr of beer.
Strange masonry logo outside the hotel...maybe if you are mason they give you a discount!

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JesperNoergaard, Front Office Manager at Hotel Schaumburg, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you very much for your review.

We hope you after all enjoyed sleeping in our Nordic style beds - as well as catering to the world community, we also have to respect our Danish heritage, but very much appreciate your comments.

As for the masonry logo, no, we are not affiliated with masons as far as I am aware, but as our hotel dates back to 1852, we have some odd and now unused locations. The one adjacent to the hotel was once our in-house laundry, and it now used by the local chapter of the Freemasons. I hope this helps your curiosity, and very much look forward to welcoming you again.

Kind regards,
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

My room was on the 2nd floor, but is close to the ground floor. A half hour after I got situated in my room, I noticed that the patio door was broken and would not lock. My room was adjacent to a short bldg that was equal in height to my room and maybe only 6 ft away. Someone easily could've climbed up on the other bldg's roof or onto my patio w/ no problems. I called and they said they would fix it while I was out. I came back and they had actually placed a stick behind the door that opened instead of fixing the door lock. The stick was too long so I had to mess w/ it to get it tucked under a piece of metal to actually hold the door shut. Also, when I booked this room online, they said they gave complimentary breakfast. When I asked about it, I was told that it wasn't free, it was $11 something. I thought maybe it was my mistake so when I got up to my room, I looked again, and there it was in plain writing "Complimentary breakfast". I called down and talked to the front desk girl again who told me that they are not responsible for what a 3rd party advertises. I told her they were responsible enough to take my reservatione and my money. I asked to talk to the manager, she told me he wasn't there. I asked to leave him a message to call me back, and she told me it'd be easier if I called him tomorrow b/c he's too busy and doesn't have time to call people, b/c he never even calls her back. I told her she needed to find a new profession. I left a vm for him to call me, and by noon the next day, I had not heard from him. I called him again, and he said he hadn't yet checked his vm. So, he's the mgr and he doesn't check his vm first thing in the mornings to see if there were any issues the night before. Nice! I told him about the situation, and he said, 3 times, "I will give you breakfast tomorrow, but it is not our policy." So, he was trying to make it clear that he was doing ME a favor! I was and still am shocked! I would NOT recommend this hotel and would rather stay in my car the next time I'm in Schaumburg than to ever give them my money again!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your review.

I am very sorry that you had a bad experience, but before I respond, I want to make sure that your review was intended for the Best Western Hotel Schaumburg, located in Holstebro in Denmark. The reason I am asking is because we never have and never will charge our guests for breakfast, which is a large Danish buffet served every morning and included in all our room rates, both sold by ourselves and third parties. We also do not have an adjacent building in the same height as our 2nd floor rooms, and our rooms do not have a patio.

I would like to hear from you, and if the review is indeed for our hotel, please accept my sincerest apologies, and I will endeavour to investigate immediately.

We pride ourselves on our service levels, and will continue to do so, but fully appreciate feedback as it is the only way to improve our standards.

Once again, thank you for your review and I will promise a swift reply.

Front Office Manager

Travelers are raving about these Holstebro hotels

Borrisokane, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I have stayed here on several occasions for work. And it is quite simply typically Danish - the rooms are basic but have everything you need. My only negative on typical danish hotels is they are tight on pillows - they only ever give you one ad dont even have another one in the warbdrobe like many other hotels do. There is plenty parking, very friendly and helpful staff, a "scottish" pub attached to the hotel. The evening food is ok and that is all really, it will fill a hole but but you dont get what you might expect (it looks like you will get a very good meal, but it is actually just ok and no more). Free wifi to residents. The breakfast is excellent by danish standards!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony - lovely views over the town and it gets the evening sun.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your kind words. I am glad that we are performing well on most areas mentioned.

That said, I was sad to read your comments about our restaurant. We do our utmost to make it authentic, cozy, and offering really good home-made food at reasonable prices. We have changed the concept slightly, amongst other things brought on a restaurant manager, and hope next time you visit, it will be more satisfying.

As for the pillow issue, we have identified this, and are happy that you confirm it. From no later than 1st January, every room will have spare pillows in the in-room wardrobe. I know this does not go a long way to rectify the past, but sincerely hope it will make future visits that bit more enjoyable.

Once again, thank you very much for your review. We thrive on feedback from our guests, and hope we will be able to put things right before we see you again.

Kind regards,
Aarhus, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

Stayed here during a conference. I'm sure Schaumburg used to be a very nice hotel. They have B&O CRT TVs and are reasonably spacious in both common areas and rooms. However, things are in need of an touch-up. Who has CRTs these days, and with spotty reception to boot? I'd say latest renovation would be mid-90s.

The room was cold as ice upon arrival, something that many of the others guests I spoke with with had happen in their rooms too. Denmark in November is cold, so the room was not habitable for a few hours. An added bonus was the slightly musty smell you get when warming a summer home during winter. The building is quite flimsy and my room near the lift wasn't quiet. The floors are noisy and oddly bouncy in the halls, which means you'll hear every person who walks by.

The bathroom was nice and spacious, clean but a little worn, as with the rest of the room. Remote a little sticky. Room contained a trouser press but no iron. Parking very limited, but free. Staff was friendly and helpful and the breakfast buffet was very good. I never could get the WiFi to work (I work in IT, I'm pretty good with that sort of thing).

All in all nothing was terrible, but nothing was remarkable either. I'd stay again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
elysium246
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

If you are not familiar w/ Holstebro, it's good to know there are not many hotel options in the small town. The Schaumburg is a decent option, with a large breakfast buffet available in the morning. The room sizes vary (I noticed as house cleaning keeps open the doors), and based on my 1 week stay there, it doesn't get terribly crowded, so it's worth asking for a larger room upon arrival. The best part about the hotel is that it is centrally located, literally in the middle of the main shopping area, and next to the popular pub: Fox & Hounds.

A few notes: (i) the hotel does not have a reception at night, so you have to navigate an odd maze to come in/out of the hotel beyond 10 or 11pm (I forgot which time they close up shop). So if you are arriving late, make sure you get the pin code and info for your room key before arrival. (ii) It comes w/ basic amenities, including shampoo, freshly changed linens, room service during certain hours, free wi-fi (you need a sign-in card from the reception), and that's about the extent of it.

Overall, it's an adequate option if you're in Holstebro, but don't expect luxury.

Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank elysium246
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holstebro
BEST WESTERN Royal Holstebro
#1 of 2 in Lemvig
Holstebro Sky
Holstebro Sky
#1 of 13 in Holstebro

Been to Hotel Schaumburg? Share your experiences!