“Some good points, some bad points...”

La Villa des Fleurs
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Spa
Manchester
“Some good points, some bad points...”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

OK, to start with, this is a quite pleasant hotel which looks (to me) like it was once a rather grand house that has (at some point) been converted to a hotel. I may be wrong about this, but you get the general idea.

.. and it creates a nice impression on arrival. The gardens are nice, the public areas clean and tidy.

Check in was easy and quick.

My room was OK. Quite nicely furnished and appointed, with a clean and tidy shower room (no bath in my room). I found it to be pretty much what I expected.. First impressions, therefore, were favourable...

BUT... and, for me, it was a big "but"... there was no form of cooling to the room other than opening the windows. I found the room temperatures almost insufferably hot and opening the windows did little to help cool the room.. Now, I accept that stayed there during a particularly warm period.. but, even so...

I actually enquired, on arrival, about the hotel providing a fan, but this did not seem to be possible. The warm weather was not a sudden thing and, personally, I think that they could have easily gone out and bought some fans for the rooms for little cost and this would have made a huge difference to the environment in the room... Little touches do count... (or don't, if they are missing)...

Opening the windows did also serve to draw attention to how noisy it can get in the centre of Spa... Variously, I suffered nearby nightclub bass noise and loud people outside the club.. a burglar alarm going off in the small hours.. noisy traffic in the street below.. and, one morning, somebody loading a truck right outside my window at 5.30am.

In fact, the upshot of all this was that it was so noisy and hot that, on my first night, I managed little more than 3 hours sleep.

Opening the windows also let in a biting insect on the second night.

Breakfast is served in a nicely appointed breakfast room with patio doors opening onto gardens. The selection was pretty good although the only hot item that seemed to be available were boiled eggs (cooked to order). Coffee was a little stewed if you got in later on.

Staff were friendly and welcoming at all times.

Free car parking to the rear was welcome, in a gravelled area by the gardens, which is secured at night by closing gates.

I thought the rate I paid was expensive for what I got. I was expecting an uplift as it was during an event at the Spa racetrack, but, even so, it was more that I gathered some had paid for their (arguably) better located and provisioned rooms.

To be honest, even without the heat issue, I would think twice now about staying in Spa itself, mainly for the noise. Although it might be inconvenient in some ways to stay out of town, the centre can get noisy at times and this is a consideration I will have in future.

Please note, to be clear, that I am not saying the hotel is, of its own, noisy (I heard little of my fellow guests, for instance) but my room, at the front, did suffer badly from noise impacting from the town itself (the friends I knew in different hotels in town also mentioned this as an issue).

Would I stay here again? Possibly.. but it would have to be a cool period of weather.. and my room would have to be on the opposite side of things to the nightclub and the road next to the hotel...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Juninho_pp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed October 16, 2012

we liked the stay at hotel villa des fleurs very much...and think it is a really nice location to make a short holiday over the weekend in this little town. the building and the garden are simply just beautiful and we liked the room we were given very much.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

Nice old Hotel with very friendly staff.
Room far to small for the price (250 EUR ) - room was full with the double bed!

Everything in very good conditions and clean.

Very good location close to the center.

• Stayed August 2012
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The location is absolutely perfect! It is only 3min. walk to the fenicular to the fabulous SPA. The hotel also has discount tickets for admission.The casino is 3 blk. away with wonderful outdoor cafes in between. Our room was on the back side with a great view of the gardens and very quiet even with windows open all night. Peolple don't seem to realize these buildings are old in Europe 2-4 hundred years so they are not all retrofitted with a/c . but that is the trade off for feeling the real setting of the town and your hotel. If you want all the modern conviences then always stay by the airports. This is a charming little hotel with a very friendly and knowledgeable staff, We enjoyed the breakfast and will stay there again. They are tied into a restaurant about 6 doors down from them, that is a big NO the food was not good.

Room Tip: Get a room on the back side
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We were given a room that was nothing like the advertised photos. There was no air-conditioning in the room and the windows were facing the main road so once you open the window you hear noise! There is no bath tub either. We requested for an extra bed for our son and they completely overlooked the request and gave us a room that can't even fit in a baby bed. We ended up sleeping altogether in a very small super single bed and didn't sleep well at all. It has ruined our holiday completely and it's a waste of money!

Room Tip: say no to #16 & #25
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ahdeseng
Westford, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I travel to the Spa area frequently on business and this was my first time at this hotel and I was pleasantly surprised. If you have a lot of work to do in the hotel room then don't stay here but it is a great place to unwind after a long day --- I really enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere (the pictures give you a good sense of this). It's located in the heart of Spa, walking distance to some good restaurants. The rooms are decent size and the bathroom is modern and functional. However, the desk is completely impractical and the beds aren't great (fortunately, I was pretty tired and so it didn't impact my sleep). Breakfast was very good and service was at an expected level. Overall, I thought the hotel was a good value for the money and offered a pleasant atmosphere.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Wuustwezel, Belgium
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Nice hotel with friendly help
Only the walls are a little bit thin but futher on very good

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business