“Fascinating history and gracious hosts”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Chateau de Vierset

Chateau de Vierset
Ranked #4 of 5 Huy B&B and Inns
Florence, Oregon
“Fascinating history and gracious hosts”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We spent a week in Belgium on our way home from a trip to Bhutan and Nepal. Since I would be celebrating my bithday there, we decided a castle was in order. I booked Chateau de Vierset through Booking.com before we left home. As we were leaving the country, the credit card I had used to secure the reservation was cancelled due to fraud. I sent an e-mail to the owners explaining the situation, terrified that they would cancel the reservation. (especially after having read the review by the gentleman who felt discriminated against because he had used Booking.com.) I couldn't have been more wrong. Marlene, the hostess and co-owner couldn't have been more gracious. She not only welcomed us but bumped up our room because she had unexpectedly gotten a castle full of tv people filming a cooking reality show in the area.
When she learned it was my birthday she offered to make dinner reservations for us, and did. The restaurant, La Rosseur (I think) was about 4k away and was spectacular. We had a 10 course meal.

The next morning, Marlene's husband, who is a Ghent architect and is restoring the castle gave us a tour for an hour and a half. He explained not only the history of the castle, but the fascinating architectural and engineering details from the 11th and 18th centuries. His restoration respects the original builders ingenuity and incorporates modern energy saving innovations without detracting from the castle vibe.

The castle is filled with abundant artwork that is a mix of ancient and very modern. It is eclectic but in a cohesive way that makes a statement about life through the ages.

Breakfast was a generous European style breakfast with breads, meat, cheese, juices, eggs and the lot. Not gourmet, but definitely tasty and filling.

I highly recommend the Chateau for both its comfort and its history.

This is not a full service hotel with lots of staff. It is a family run bed and breakfast castle, and much more personal than a big hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ickesq

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Singapore
Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

Extremely pleased with the service. We stayed for the f1 weeke d and wanted to leave early each day. The owner was extremely obliging to offer breakfast around 6:30-7 during our stay. It does not have the facilities of a top rated hotel but if you come here that's not the point. The building and place is lovely about an 1.5 hr from brussells surrounded by small local villages. And has been nicely renovated

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank SXW29
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed November 10, 2011

we stayed for 1 night in a big suite in the main building and it was great....beautifull big very clean and nicely decorated room. The property is very well kept. Ok there is not much staff, but the lady is very helpfull and does what she can....The breakfast is delicious, the rooms very silent and the surroudings beautifull, so what do you want more? It is not a real hotel, so don t expect the service of it....I ll certainly return.

Room Tip: take a suite in the main building
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank francis080
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed November 7, 2011

This place is pure farce. Arrived to a full breakfast room where guests were made to wait for their rooms while the lady of the house ran around as if she had been stung by a bee and with a facial expression to match. On being asked by some guests to be shown to their room she told them they must wait and have a drink first. Whether they wanted one or not. I did not get offered one, although perhaps that is because I booked via booking.com which apparently was not appreciated as the lady of the house kept calling me - in front of a full room - "the single man in the standard room who booked via Booking". I was then told that since I was travelling alone she would get me a small room. Charming. "Can people in standard rooms follow me" she then beckoned gracefully so I joined the other riff-raff guests and the single man was shown a room with nothing but a sofa bed. When I told the lady of the house that I was afraid the sofa bed wouldn't do for €110 a night in low season I was grudgingly shown another room, with a proper bed this time, however located on the landing leading up to the breakfast room and separated from said landing by a flimsy cardboard door. Concerned that I would be woken up by the whole hotel having breakfast at 9 a.m. (I could follow conversations in the hallway and the breakfast room word for word from my room) I apologised to the lady of the house again for being annoying but did she have rooms with both a proper bed and less through traffic? This did not go down well and I was told to b*gger off so I gave up.

Apart from the terrible sound insulation (a problem shared by every other guest as it later transpired) the two bathrooms I saw were very basic and mine was not terribly clean (it had a mouldy plastic shower and I know for a fact the lady of the house also moonlights as a housekeeper as her hairs were all over the bathroom floor) and did not have any products in it, just a soap dispenser on the washbasin. Could do better.

Also there is apparently only one way to open the castle's gate which is by a remote control dangling from the lady's neck. This means that if you are arriving late the poor thing must get out of bed to open up (which may explain her cranky behaviour), equally if you want to leave the premises and the gate is closed you must beep your car horn so she knows to push the button. This is not amusing when you are trying to get some sleep (never mind hers I was speaking as a guest).

All the above is a pity as the place does really look rather nice and I must say when a group of us asked if we could still have breakfast at noon this was not a problem at all (although in all fairness it shouldn't have been as none of the tables had been cleared so we might as well have helped ourselves to the leftovers).

All in all this was a farcical experience and it would have been hilarious were it not for the price. They should really get some staff in (the place is too big to be run by the couple alone), get the lady of the house to follow a hospitality course (I still can't get over how impolite she was), change the sofa beds in the rooms to proper beds, put in some proper doors, change the gate entry system and the place may actually be rather nice. Until then, hold your horses and go elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Johanvdb
Princeton, Canada
Reviewed October 14, 2011

My husband made the reservation for my granddaughters and I to stay in a Belgian castle. Having been born here the ardennes holds a special spot for him and he wanted his granddaughters to enjoy their time here as well.It was a wonderful stay our hosts greeted us with a drink and conversation about the area. The rooms were comfortable and well decorated and the breakfast was amazing. Also le Monsier gave us a tour of the castle and explained his intention to refurbish with as little distraction from the original castle as possible.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank marianapd
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I have nothing good to stay at ALL……. We upgraded on arrival as the first room was smaller and more basic than a caravan! Second room had cobwebs and still very basic. Well, what can I say we returned from a family event, luckily where we had been eating all day as when we arrived back we were the only guests and everything was locked and empty. Yes, no bar no staff the place could have burnt down and no one would know we were there. We rang reception, room service and NOTHING – We even surprised the security guard. Then the breakfast well…… find a bakery or a hostel down the road it will be better. Not even any butter……!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank People51
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed June 13, 2009

The rooms available at this lovely rural B&B in the Ardennes region of Belgium are actually on the ground floor of the stable, which faces the chateau across a fenced courtyard. But don't let this put you off. They may be the nicest, best decorated, and most comfortable rooms we had in a recent 3 1/2 weeks trip in northern Europe. We stayed 3 nights. Our room had a king bed with tilt-up heads, exceptionally nice sheets and towels, a small fridge, tub & shower, and some of the large antique pots from the owners' collection. The owners, an architect and his wife, have a small flat on the next floor.

Breakfast was served on the top floor of the stable building, up a up a narrow circular staircase. It was large and beautifully served. It consisted each morning of juice, coffee or tea, four or five different breads purchased that morning on a special bread run, three different hams, a couple cheeses, fruit plate, yogurt, and assorected jams. This large room--like all spaces, including the chateau itself--are decorated in a quiet contemporary elegance.

On Sunday morning we and the other guests were taken on a tour of the large chateau, which is a work-in-progress being undertaken primarily by the owner alone. It houses his extensive art collection. Poking around one morning into some of the other spaces we discovered evidence of buildings which pre-dated the 17th century chateau when the property was a large fortified estate.

Perhaps the only disadvantage was the fact that restaurants for dinner were about 20 minutes away in Huy or other villages.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HappyTravelerK-ville
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huy
Domaine du Chateau de Modave
#4 of 14 in Namur
Le Temps passe ...
Le Temps passe ...
#5 of 5 in Huy

Been to Chateau de Vierset? Share your experiences!