“Very nice Gasthof”

Hotel Goldener Fisch
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Lienz
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Very nice Gasthof in a lovely area, quiet but close to the main center.
I would recommend it to family and friends because of its position, its kind staff, its delicious buffet breakfast and its clean rooms. It features a free parking and free wifi too (that's excellent I think!). Of course you should try its restaurant too!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Julie was fabulous at check in and with our questions. She suggested seeing the market, which we walked to. It had fresh produce, meats, baked goods and a local band playing customary music~you can't get anymore charming than this! The town is very walkable and in the fall the area is known for it's great fly fishing. The hotel is very clean with a small gym and very nice saunas. Breakfast was terrific with the usual hard boiled eggs, cereals, yogurts, cheeses, fruits, meats and breads but also included warmed bacon and scrambled eggs! The rooms (ours was 308) are spacious with sitting area, desk and flat screen, floors are carpeted. Our bathroom had a bath tub, shower, toilet, bidet and sink. We had dinner at the restaurant which was delicious and reasonably priced. I highly recommend this hotel and would return.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank AnitanurseOxnard
Reviewed May 29, 2013

On our return visit to Goldener Fisch it was like returning home it felt so welcoming, relaxed and warm. It is perfectly located and within easy walking distance to the city centre, the river walks, the castle and the shopping district. The rooms are spacious and clean and the tradition Austrian beds are very comfortable. The staff is both friendly and helpful and speak English. The food is well priced and authentically Austrian. Goldener Fisch is excellent value. You too will want to revisit the beautiful town of Lienz and the Goldener Fisch.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Sheepskins
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Had an excellent stay in that hotel, loved the personalized approach and good service. Just wanted to point out that they also have a free wireless wifi with fairly good quality, even though it's not mentioned on their website or here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank rebanek
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Our room was very large but a little sparsely furnished and strangely laid out. The bathroom was normal size and average. The evening meal was good with large portions and fine service. The breakfast was less good, partly because it is a business hotel and they got up earlier than us! Some of the breakfast items are left out all day. The sauna is well equipped but keeps hours for business guests. Lonely Planet says it is family friendly but in October there were none. Parking is good and the location is good. Overall we had a good time and the towns location is amazing..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thamestrader
Reviewed October 26, 2012

My review of the Goldener Fisch is a two-parter because I opted for the half-board package which included dinner. First, the positive points...The hotel was very nice, my room was large and well equipped, super comfortable bed, street noise minimal (in spite of major construction on the bridge 100 m away), only disturbances were the sounds chairs scraping on the floor in the resto downstairs. Great price/value for the hotel stay. Now, on to the half-board debacle which is where it all fell apart for me. The background here is that I'd sent four or five emails in advance clarifying that the restaurant would be able to serve me vegetarian meals that would be comparable to what wolud be on offer for the meat-eaters.After many confusing replies and a number of German translations, I was assured that it wasn't a problem. , When I got there, however, it turned out the variety of possibilities for me was lmited to two entrees and one soup (as opposed to dozens of options for carnivores). This is certainly not unusual for conventional restaurants but I thought I'd done my homework beforehand and asked the right questions to avoid this scenario. There was also a significant language barrier with waitstaff when it came to asking about the bounty of options I thought would be available. It wasn't until was fourth night that I was told the chef could prepare me a special meal (I'd asked every night before and was told no). He did but it was bland and unimaginative and very disappointing. Ultimately my frustation is not just getting the shaft as a veg,because I'm used to that if I'm not going to a specialty restaurant. What annoys me is that if I knew I was going to be stuck eating the same things night after night, I would have just booked the room alone and found my meals elsewhere. I was given assurances that didn't pan out, and that just sucks.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Chattyscrapper
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We had a delightful stay at the Goldener Fisch. The rooms were spacious, very clean and comfortable. The location, parking and accessibility was excellent. Reasonaably priced very beautiful Austrian furniture in the guesthouse.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple