“dissappointed.com”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Moville
london
“dissappointed.com”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I like to be fair so - you should also read my previous review 8-oct-2012 entitled GGRRREATTT so you get a feel for this hotel.
in summary: spa a let down, reception customer service not on their top form -decor in main hotel areas excellent - room lovely - dinner and breakfast - outstanding!

when I arrived it was 3:20 and my room was not ready - I was surprised because I use hotels alot for work and expected check in to be 2 - so I went to the spa I couldnt leave my case as my costume etc was in the case so I had to lug it down several flights of stairs to the spa, and they brought my room key down there to pick up, which was good as it saved me walking back up with my case - wet!

When I arrived at the spa - my friends had moved my treatment forward 30 mins so that those who had not arrived yet could have later treatment this meant the receptionist needed me to quickly change and go through - the first FOUR lockers didnt lock so by the time id lugged my case into the 5th locker I would happily have killed someone.
I rushed into the spa area to find there was no real rush at all. but oh dear the spa room was not at all the warm relaxing and beautifully scented area I remembered from october- this was a darkened really cold room with a broken fountain the staff were busy mopping up the dripping water from - there was no scented smell apart from mild disinfectant from the mops and all the little tabels and small reading lights were gone - leaving you no way of reading your book or placing your drink down.
the loungers were all too close together and there was no towels or rugs - my friends were there and they had plenty to say about how it wasnt as I had described - we did say that it was too cold but the staff just said yeah isnt it - so we then asked for towels which we got.
I had my treatment and it was really lovely and relaxing (I fell asleep) but seemed very quick as when it was over the lights were flicked on and the relaxation cut short.
I couldnt use the room as it was so cold and my towel had been taken so i went to the pool - OMG ICY is an understatement - so this meant I didnt want to use the jets or any of the bubble seated areas as it was so cold but the steam room ( box) was lovely and hot so I enjoyed that -
we asked to wear our robes up to our rooms and the receptionist said and I quote" thats ok but bring them back or theres a 30 euro charge and gave these wee paper slips out to return with them)
this was at 5:30 - the slip said by 6 -we pointed out the time and they said as soon as you can. fair enough but is this a 4 star approach - mmm no! trust me my towel was not of a standard anyone would want to take home and the robe was really rough -
swimming caps are essential and are charged for 2-3 euro each.

This pool area could be improved mainly by heating it! also by adding a few heated loungers or if this is not affordable a few loungers so it feels like a spa experience - it feels to me like a nice family pool ( if it was warmer)

On to our room - it was a three person room - and it was a great size and was nice and warm - we were very happy with it - note though if you like a view it wasnt great ( rubble part of a roof and then the sea but we didnt care too much) this room would be great for a family as great floor space - I think it was 203 or something it was above the spa and faced out to the left with a helicopter landing strip in view (- bit of rubble with a H on it)

cocktails - were part of the deal - they were lovely and we enjoyed them in the area just beside the decking facing ut to sea. - a lovely pre dinner area.

Dinner & Breakfast - once again outstanding - this IS 5 STAR!!!! we had the Table d'hote menu which is roughly the same as it was in october - really lovely -
on friday night the dining room was really busy and righty so.

music in the bar was ok - it was needed as it livened things up.

would I go back - it would have to be a good deal - for me to want to stay again but I would eat here again.

I believe other members of our party were less happy about their experience, I just know based on my previous stay that things could have been a whole better and a simple sorry can go a long way.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 1shamrock
Your_Customer_Care, Guest Relations Manager at Redcastle Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and thank you also for choosing to stay with us again. I am very sorry to read about your experience. For a short period during your stay the Hotel heating system was causing problems, this caused interruptions to the heating of the rooms and the pool. While unavoidable it should not have affected your stay in any way. I appreciate that you returned to stay with us with and recommended us to your group. I am glad that you enjoyed your meal and the cocktails. We would really welcome the opportunity to make up for these issues and to assure you that this is not our normal standard Please contact us on feedback@redcastlehotel.com and we would appreciate the chance to discuss these issues with you. Thank you again
Redcastle Customer Care Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

What a huge disappointment!!!
When we arrived my first impressions weren't great - the room was very dated, cold and furniture was very worn. Our view was the vent from the restaurant which was very noisey also. The en suite was not very clean with taps etc quite rusty.
We then went to the bar for some lunch - I waited for 15 minutes at the bar to be served and once the food arrived we had been given no cuterly to eat the food.
We were most looking forward to using the Spa...what turned out to be the worst part of the hotel. The pool was FREEZING!!! Sauna and Steam Room were broken (how this could even be called a Spa when facilities are not working??!!) We were so disappointed - this was definitely the final straw.
I went to reception to complain and say we would like to check out as the Spa facilities were not working! The receptionist was less than interested and told my partner and I to go to our room and the manager would meet us.
Off we went back to our room and decided we would go on the internet to look for any other near by hotels...and of course the wifi wasnt working! Waited 20 minutes and still no sign of the manager. I then called the receptionist and she informed me she would be up to our room shortly. After a few minutes the phone rang and it was the "duty" manager called Suzanne! I explained the situation to her and literally laughed at my complaint. I literally could not believe how rude she was! I got no apology and instead was told that we wouldnt get our money back as it was within the 24hour cancellation period. I explained how I didnt think this was very fair as the facilities advertised weren't working!
We packed our bags and went down to reception - Suzanne then appeared very stern and unapologetic whilst I said how disappointed we were after having a three hour journey to get there.
She then said "I suppose we can waiver the room fee this time!" (Would like to hope so!)
So we paid for lunch bill and left very annoyed and frustrated - oh and with no apology!!
We then stayed in the Galgorm Resort and Spa the following evening - highly recommended by the way!! How this Redcastle hotel is a four star I do not know?!! Staff need some customer service training - especially so called duty manager!!! Disgusted at how we were treated I think they looked at us as a young couple who they couldnt have cared less about!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Zoe89_13
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay and am happy to answer your points raised. I apologise that you felt that your room was not acceptable and we do take your points on board. The bathroom in this room after inspection did not have evidence of rust on the taps. Having reviewed the order docket and the CCTV for the bar area it showed that your entire wait from entering the bar to receiving your food was 13 minutes, on entering the bar you were attended to within 2 minutes. This wait time would not be unusual for freshly prepared food.
The pool temperature was below normal on this day due to a fault with the system and you are quite right that this should not have been the case. The sauna and steam room were in perfect working order throughout your stay and were used by many guests during this period.
Once you requested to speak to a manager she was immediately called, our records show that the receptionist on duty called you three minutes after your initial call to inform you that the manager was reviewing the details of your complaint and would call you as soon as the details had been investigated. Once our manager made contact with you it was to discuss these issues, she did not in anyway laugh at you on the phone and this was confirmed by the several people present during this call. I am sorry that you felt that this was the case. When you arrived at the desk you were greeted by our manager and the receptionist on duty, again the details of this exchange are captured on the CCTV and our own detailed records. During your conversation with our manager she apologised for the inconvenience on several occasions. Your room fee was wavered; you did not mention your issues with the bar service on check out. Your partner thanked our manager prior to your departure.
Age in no way determines how we treat our guests; we value and respect all of our customers young or old. I am sorry that your experience was less than positive but some of the information in your review is inaccurate and not consistent with the records we have. If you wish to discuss any of these points we would be happy to do so. Please contact us on feedback@redcastlehotel.com
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

This was our second trip to the Redcastle Hotel as we liked it very much last year. As the weather was terrible with rain and gale force winds, we decided to treat ourselves with a suite. It was a bit tired looking, needed a makeover, and we really should have taken one of the sea view rooms we liked so much last year (and cheaper too!!). Although with the bad weather we wouldn't have seen any of the scenery anyway.
Still a great trip, as the hotel is still very good and the area for exploring is excellent. Not their fault about the weather, and the hotel was a bargain price being "off -season".

Room Tip: Choose sea view room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and for choosing the Hotel for a second visit. I will certainly pass your comments on to our management team and thank you once again for taking the time to offer your feedback
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

This hotel is great for a relaxing midweek break. Very good staff, friendly and professional. Great pool with views over the lough and the restaurant also has lovely views. Food is very good and reasonably priced. Room was a wee bit tired and with an uninspiring view, but it was very comfortable and scrupulously clean - certainly not poorly maintained. Had a great night's sleep as it was perfectly quiet. Fitness centre and spa look very nice but we didn't use them. Will definitely return and consider it extremely good value for money. Seal spotting opportunities if you walk along the loughside!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is what €415 buys you in the Redcastle hotel. 2 nights bed, breakfast and one evening meal (wine not included). I took my daughter away for a mother daughter spa weekend for her 21st birthday and what a disappointment! The hotel is rated as a 4star but it certainly does not deserve it. The room was average, with dated and worn furniture, the bathroom was in needed a deep clean and a replacement sink as it was cracked. We had no hand soap or wash cloths.

We both got spa treatments, but my daughter's treatment room was that cool her hands got cold and she got goose bumps on her legs. After our massages we went to relax in the sauna and steam room (which were only big enough to accommodate a maximum of 4 people) but had to walk past the pool area with 4 young men messing around, not what you expect when you are paying the money I paid! Also the tiles in the pool were cracked and broken and not all the jacuzzi elements were working. I was also expecting a separate jacuzzi pool, but the jacuzzi was part of the main pool, which was cold, as the temperature regulator was broken!

Our evening meal which was included in the price was disappointing as we had to wait 40 minutes between our starter leaving and main arriving, and that was only because I complained. When our main meal arrived my medium rare steak arrived it was more raw to rare so it had to get sent back. When it came back it was medium to well done. The breakast looked the part, but when we came down at 9:30 the heat lamps had not done a great job at keeping the food warm, it was lukewarm.

So, after all this, I finally had enough and complained, what did I get, an apology and told I did not have to pay for my wine or €15 supplement for our steaks, not very generous. Will I be back, definitely not!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank ckglassie
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to read about your recent stay with us. I can assure you that this is certainly not our usual standard and I apologise that you stay was not enjoyable. I would be grateful if you would contact us directly so we can discuss this further on feedback@redcastlehotel.com
Belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend with my husband and our toddler for my husband's birthday. The hotel is beautifully decorated, though we had one of the older, less recently renovated rooms it was still perfectly nice and had a great view over the water. The hotel restaurant really has amazing nearly 360 views over the water, it felt like being on a boat!

Big pros
- Leisure centre and spa. As part of the deal I had a spa treatment and it was fab, enjoyed the pool with loud and splashy toddler, even though it was a bank holiday weekend it wasn't too crowded
- Hotel restaurant was great for both breakfast and dinner, friendly staff, lovely food, amazing views
- Bed was massive and really comfortable

Slight cons
- Although hotel is on the water, it isn't particularly near to a beach and although there is a swimming pool and you can also walk over a bridge and up to a soft play centre if you are so inclined there's no kids play area in the grounds or play room anywhere (that i could find anyway), and most Irish 'family' type hotels usually have this kind of thing on-site.
- There is a big difference between the newer rooms and older rooms, and, of course, a matching difference in price!

I would definitely stay again though, loved the pool, comfy bed and the food was great.

Room Tip: Chance your arm and if the hotel isn't busy ask for an upgrade to one of the newer rooms or one...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank maevedave
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We do operate a kids club during holidays and midterms and this would include a visit to the neighbouring Leisureland. If you are thinking of returning to the Hotel we would be delighted to recommend some great local attractions for both adults and kids. Thank you once again and we hope you will return to the Hotel soon again

United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Having stayed here once before overnight at a wedding we didn't really get a chance to savour all the delights this hotel has to offer but we stayed this time for two nights. Had a great seaview room well equiped with all requirements including iron and board. The hotel has lots of comfy sofas in which to relax with the papers and a glass or two of wine. Dining was a delight. Great menu and food. Staff were all very helpful and pleasant. Leisure centre was a great surprise at size of pool. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room.We had to pay extra for this but got one at no extra charge when we stayed fo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I will certainly pass all of your comments on to our management team and I am delighted that you are returning again for the Easter break. I hope you enjoy your next visit.
Redcastle Customer Care Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moville
Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel
City Hotel
City Hotel
#6 of 11 in Derry
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,949 reviews

Been to Redcastle Hotel? Share your experiences!