“Lovely relaxing break”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Moville
uk
“Lovely relaxing break”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This hotel is great for a relaxing midweek break. Very good staff, friendly and professional. Great pool with views over the lough and the restaurant also has lovely views. Food is very good and reasonably priced. Room was a wee bit tired and with an uninspiring view, but it was very comfortable and scrupulously clean - certainly not poorly maintained. Had a great night's sleep as it was perfectly quiet. Fitness centre and spa look very nice but we didn't use them. Will definitely return and consider it extremely good value for money. Seal spotting opportunities if you walk along the loughside!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Your_Customer_Care, Guest Relations Manager at Redcastle Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future
Redcastle Customer Care Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is what €415 buys you in the Redcastle hotel. 2 nights bed, breakfast and one evening meal (wine not included). I took my daughter away for a mother daughter spa weekend for her 21st birthday and what a disappointment! The hotel is rated as a 4star but it certainly does not deserve it. The room was average, with dated and worn furniture, the bathroom was in needed a deep clean and a replacement sink as it was cracked. We had no hand soap or wash cloths.

We both got spa treatments, but my daughter's treatment room was that cool her hands got cold and she got goose bumps on her legs. After our massages we went to relax in the sauna and steam room (which were only big enough to accommodate a maximum of 4 people) but had to walk past the pool area with 4 young men messing around, not what you expect when you are paying the money I paid! Also the tiles in the pool were cracked and broken and not all the jacuzzi elements were working. I was also expecting a separate jacuzzi pool, but the jacuzzi was part of the main pool, which was cold, as the temperature regulator was broken!

Our evening meal which was included in the price was disappointing as we had to wait 40 minutes between our starter leaving and main arriving, and that was only because I complained. When our main meal arrived my medium rare steak arrived it was more raw to rare so it had to get sent back. When it came back it was medium to well done. The breakast looked the part, but when we came down at 9:30 the heat lamps had not done a great job at keeping the food warm, it was lukewarm.

So, after all this, I finally had enough and complained, what did I get, an apology and told I did not have to pay for my wine or €15 supplement for our steaks, not very generous. Will I be back, definitely not!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank ckglassie
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to read about your recent stay with us. I can assure you that this is certainly not our usual standard and I apologise that you stay was not enjoyable. I would be grateful if you would contact us directly so we can discuss this further on feedback@redcastlehotel.com
Belfast
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend with my husband and our toddler for my husband's birthday. The hotel is beautifully decorated, though we had one of the older, less recently renovated rooms it was still perfectly nice and had a great view over the water. The hotel restaurant really has amazing nearly 360 views over the water, it felt like being on a boat!

Big pros
- Leisure centre and spa. As part of the deal I had a spa treatment and it was fab, enjoyed the pool with loud and splashy toddler, even though it was a bank holiday weekend it wasn't too crowded
- Hotel restaurant was great for both breakfast and dinner, friendly staff, lovely food, amazing views
- Bed was massive and really comfortable

Slight cons
- Although hotel is on the water, it isn't particularly near to a beach and although there is a swimming pool and you can also walk over a bridge and up to a soft play centre if you are so inclined there's no kids play area in the grounds or play room anywhere (that i could find anyway), and most Irish 'family' type hotels usually have this kind of thing on-site.
- There is a big difference between the newer rooms and older rooms, and, of course, a matching difference in price!

I would definitely stay again though, loved the pool, comfy bed and the food was great.

Room Tip: Chance your arm and if the hotel isn't busy ask for an upgrade to one of the newer rooms or one...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank maevedave
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We do operate a kids club during holidays and midterms and this would include a visit to the neighbouring Leisureland. If you are thinking of returning to the Hotel we would be delighted to recommend some great local attractions for both adults and kids. Thank you once again and we hope you will return to the Hotel soon again

United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Having stayed here once before overnight at a wedding we didn't really get a chance to savour all the delights this hotel has to offer but we stayed this time for two nights. Had a great seaview room well equiped with all requirements including iron and board. The hotel has lots of comfy sofas in which to relax with the papers and a glass or two of wine. Dining was a delight. Great menu and food. Staff were all very helpful and pleasant. Leisure centre was a great surprise at size of pool. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room.We had to pay extra for this but got one at no extra charge when we stayed fo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I will certainly pass all of your comments on to our management team and I am delighted that you are returning again for the Easter break. I hope you enjoy your next visit.
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

had a great weekend break at redcastle.staff were great,food in the restaurant was excellent [new menue]. bar food was also vgood. room a bit old looking and worn but clean, bed ,the best sleep ever. pool was a bit cold,new steam room&sauna were great have booked again for the easterweekend .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

very anoying when fire alarm goes off at 5.am .and no one says sorry on check out
also children running pass your bedroom in early hours of the morning ref wedding,
but having said that ,staff were very good,also meals in restaurant was nice,
regards g.mc crea lisburn 22.2.13. two days

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
I am sorry to read that you stay was disturbed. Unfortunately there are many things beyond our control that will activate the fire alarm and for the safety of all guests the correct procedures are followed by our staff to investigate and follow up on all alarm signals. I understand that this must have disturbed your sleep. We really appreciate that you chose to stay with us and hope you will return to the Hotel again soon
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I, along with our two young children stayed recently at this hotel. We were very disappointed. I will give credit where it is due. The staff were nice and our inclusive meal was beautiful in the restaurant, very enjoyable. I had a massage, which was very good and the spa is lovely. However, there were too many negatives for us. We go away twice a year with our kids for a hotel break and try to find family friendly hotels. We have stayed in quite a few and have never been disappointed. On this occasion, we had no robes in our room and when requested, we were told we had to leave them back by 6pm. I found this unusual for a '4 star' hotel. It is so much less hassle to go back to the room and change the kids etc in our robes, without packing clothes- just to go downstairs!! Also we had to take slips of paper to count in and out the towels we used in the pool- is this because they are going missing? because you would have to be hard up to take them home as they were pretty well used! These procedures just caused unnecessary hassle and to be honest created a bit of an unfriendly atmosphere.
Also there were no face clothes in the rooms and I would have packed my own if I had known- u really need these simple wee touches when bringing kids.
Mainly however, the pool was freezing!!! My 3 yr old stuck it ok but my one yr old screamed and could not stay in!! I brought it to their attention and was told it was one degree warmer than usual. However the next day we were told there was a problem and they were trying to fix it- didn't get fixed even by the next day.
Breakfast was grand, but no cheeses or cold meats or alternatives to a fry, which again is not standard for a 4 star.
The place in general needs a bit of a touch up and a good lick of paint (and good clean) to bring it up to standard. If it was marketed as 3 star then no problem but I feel it is a 4 star that is going downhill! We got a deal but if I had have paid more than we did, I would be very cross. I did bring these issues to their attention upon checkout and was told that they didn't have enough gowns as they were fully booked???!!
The area is nice and we loved driving to Culdaff beach, Malin head etc but unfortunately we will not be back to the Carlton Redcastle. They just need to remember that the small touches and attention to detail make a difference to the quality of your stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Bigv123
Your_Customer_Care, Director of Sales at Redcastle Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments and for choosing to stay with us.
I note that you requested the robes form our Spa; these robes would be issued to guests availing of treatments. Robes are provided in certain rooms or on request through the Hotel reception or when the initial booking is made. Unfortunately it is the case that many of our towels do in fact go missing each week, this problem is not exclusive to our Hotel but none the less to ensure that we have adequate supplies for our guests at all times we must control and record the issuing of towels and robes. When you were checking out you were advised that it was the Spa that was fully booked so when you requested the robes directly from the Spa they would not have issued robes to guests not booked in for treatments as is our policy. I apologise if you felt that this procedure was unnecessary and we certainly would not wish to make any of our guests uncomfortable. It was not acceptable that the pool was cold and we did have some issues with the pool heating. Once identified we immediately addressed the issue but of course it would be very disappointing for you and your family. I am sorry that you did not get to experience the great pool and facilities as it is normally. You should also have had facecloths in your bedroom and I apologise for this oversight.
We do offer cold meats and a cheese selection. These among other items are listed on the breakfast menu on each table and can be ordered directly from our kitchen. The Hotel public areas and corridors have recently undergone a refurbishment and we are constantly developing and improving our product.
We would be delighted if you would consider returning to the Hotel and if you would like to discuss any of these issues further please do contact us on feedback@redcastlehotel.com
Redcastle Customer Care Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moville
Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa Hotel
#1 of 3 in Bushmills
Ballyliffin TownHouse
Ballyliffin TownHouse
#2 of 4 in Ballyliffin

Been to Redcastle Hotel? Share your experiences!