Hotel zur gold'nen Krone
TripAdvisor
Agoda.com
Ko Hotel(Amberg)
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 17, 2010

We went there to eat and were told that it would be "awhile". I only asked if they accepted VISA card. Three times while we were sitting there, they came and asked me to pay the bill. What bill? i asked. I had not eaten. Then, I would tell then in German that we were waiting for our food. The waitresses then said to me, in German, oh no problem. We waited two hours and the food arrived, for my daughter, but they had the wrong order for me. I told them that I did not order fish. ( I have an allergy). Later when I wanted to leave, they wanted my credit card without showing me the bill. I speak German so I said no. The waitresses, in their best English tried to explain to me the bill. I said, no. I speak German so I switched into German and as soon as I did, they said that I had to speak to the boss. I spoke with the supervisor who told me not to talk to staff that way. What way? i asked. Oh, that I asked for the bill in German so demanding like - was her problem. That is how Germans talk when you ask for money without a bill. I was no different. The food sucked! The service sucked. Don't go there.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank Irish4566
Reviewed January 27, 2010

This is my second stay at this hotel and I am returning in Feb and March. Ray and Kathi are the very best hosts, the breakfast and breakfast room and fantastic, the quaint atmosphere is the best in town! All the standard amenities are included and when it is cold outside, there is no better place to be!! If you want the flavor of Germany with the warmth of an Irish pub, this should be your choice. You are not just another customer here, you are part of the family.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Everleytravels
Reviewed November 21, 2008

I hope this review does not get scratched and the hotel doesn't get penalzed, because it tells a true story. Honesty is important, and I believe travelers should know the truth. I did not stay at this hotel because they were booked up during my entire 3 months in Amberg. I stayed at a different hotel. But I was at the "krone" for most of the time I was there. The restaurant, Kate's, was bar none the best in town so I spent a lot of my free time there visiting with co-workers and locals. Another poster pointed out Ray, Katherine and Yvonne as excellent people and he was absolutely on the money. I visited co-workers in their rooms at the Krone and was jealous because they were so much cozier and pleasant than mine. Again, though I didn't actually stay at the Krone, I hope this review holds up because it is well deserved. Hopefully Ray and crew can see this, I will be back in a couple months, and guess what? You guys are booked up AGAIN! Just have some stew and Asbach ready for me when I get there, I can't wait!
Tom

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed November 23, 2007

This is THE place to stay in Amberg. The prices are cheap and the amenities are excellent. Ray and Katherine Grassik (owners) are very cordial and will do anything to make your stay a pleasant one. The staff are always attentive to your needs and will go above and beyond to help. Yvonne is an expert behind the bar and can mix a cosmopolitian as easily as she can pour a local beer. Make no mistake, she can cook too. She and her brother Marcus, are both pedigreed cooks who have studied in the culinary arts. Any and all dishes can be made to order. The atmosphere is excellent. There is a fantastic cross section of the world that frequents Kate's. The staff and owners are bi-lingual so no need to worry about communication problems.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 7, 2007

My wife and I had a wonderful stay at the hotel. The owners were warm loving people that made us feel like we were at home. The hotel was cozy and clean and very comfertable. The pub was a fantastic mix of many people and cultures and it was quite a friendly enviornment. The staff was superb and the food was delicious. The only place I will stay in Amberg.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank longislandray