“Sadly lacking alround”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Frascati
Swansea County, United Kingdom
“Sadly lacking alround”
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

We booked six rooms here for the six nations rugby Wales v Italy , sent two e mails to the hotel requesting luggage collection from the station, they didn't bother responding. Rooms were just adequate. Our room was not cleaned for two days, no towels changed even though we were out all day and most of the evenings,hotel could not explain why just that the staff did not understand !! We have stayed at this hotel on four previous times and its gone downhill in our opinion.Get your act together Colonna. Tony Hinds.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Tony H
Hotel-Colonna, Direttore at Hotel Colonna, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
La Direzione

Dear Mr. Hinds,
We are very sorry for the inconvenience that you had during your stay with us. However, please allow me to explain what we think happened, and what we think is the reasons of your discomfort.
With reference to your shuttle reservation for your luggage transportation , as communicated by e-mail, we were waiting for the precise time of your arrival at the station, in order to proceed with sending the shuttle. Since we have not received any further communication on this matter, we could not know when to send the shuttle.
The complete cleaning of all rooms (like in all three stars hotels) is carried out by our staff from 07:00am to 1:00-2:00pm. If the guest wishes not to be disturbed during this time, the cleaning ladies provide any guest’'s needs (eg. towels, etc.), and the complete cleaning of the room is postponed to the next day. This can happen, for example, because of a desire of «privacy» of the guest, or (as in your case) if the guest retires very late at night, preferring to rest until the afternoon. In this latter case, the cleaning of the room cannot be carried out. However, our reception staff is available 24 hours a day for all cases of urgency, and we regret very much that we were not informed promptly about the discomfort you had, in which case we would have done everything, as far as possible, to solve your problems.
We apologize again for the inconvenience, and for any other possible misunderstanding that there may have been. We hope to be able to remedy on a future occasion, and be able to meet all your needs.
Best Regards.
The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Hotel Colonna is my favorite location whenever I am in Frascati. Rooms are clean and big and the price is small compared to other hotels around. It's located right in the center of Frascati with plenty of excellent restaurants nearby.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank g_plank
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I booked this hotel two months in advance using booking.com. When I arrived they claimed they knew nothing about my booking although I had the reference number and all the details. After checking on the website they found it but were fully booked, as were all the other hotels in town. In the end I was put in a kind of overflow room of another hotel that was also fully booked. The staff didn't seem too bothered. I asked to speak to the manager on several different occasions and even afterwards by phone. The guy at reception gave me the same story about why she was unavailable every time, which some how seemed implausible. He also claimed that it was somehow the fault of booking.com because they hadn't received a fax from them but booking.com confirmed that it was the hotels error. They were pretty unapologetic. It ruined my trip. Obviously I can't comment on the hotel itself as I never managed to stay there but I doubt I would attempt to book it again unless I had confirmation written in blood!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank JonB40
Chicago
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was really a business trip, but I'm putting it under "couples" because my girlfriend came along, and this is quite a lovely hotel for a romantic getaway. To be honest, I think that all the charm of the hotel and downtown Frascati would would be wasted on a solo business traveler.

The hotel is located in the picturesque downtown area, near the cathedral (don't worry, the bells *do* stop ringing around 10PM). We arrived by cab, and the driver had a heck of a time navigating the downtown area even with a GPS. If you come by train, it's just a short walk from the station, but there are stairs that would be a real pain if you have a lot of luggage (that would be true of any Frascati hotel). The decor is tasteful and charming. There are very nice paintings, murals, and furniture, as well as little antique collections (mostly cameras) on display. Even the lobby computer has been turned into an objet d'art, but setting the disc drives and media sockets into a wooden facade and hiding the computer itself.

The room was nice, if a bit small, and the bed was comfortable. In contrast, the bathroom was on the large side. I would rather they had traded that space for a bigger closet, since storage was limited. Our room had a tiny balcony overlooking the Piazza del Gesu. It gets a bit noisy in the evening, but if you close the window, the soundproofing is remarkable.

WiFi was free and the speed was pretty good.

Breakfast is included in a lovely little basement dining room. It's Italian style, mostly bread and pastries, without the meat or cheese you would find in other parts of Europe. There's some good fruit, however, if you start to get a carb overload.

They don't have a restaurant of their own, but there are numerous wonderful restaurants within a short walk.

The staff is very friendly, but it's hit or miss whether they speak English, so if you don't speak Italian, be ready to do a lot of pantomiming and and consulting of phrase books.

All in all, a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the square.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cirejcon
Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I visit Frascati a lot, since there are a number of scientific research institutes in the area. I recently stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and found it completely satisfactory. The room was large (for this class of hotel), well decorated and well equipped. Wi-Fi was free and worked well. Parking was included in the price: my car was taken away and was waiting for me outside again in the morning at a pre-agreed time. The area around the hotel is lively with lots of bars and restaurants.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Enschede, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have used this hotel for short stays in Frascati on business trips. The rooms are good, the service is good. The breakfast was reasonable - although it is served in the basement in a small restaurant without windows. The hotel is really good for a short stay, but for holiday purposes I would chose another one.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Zoltán V
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We needed a room not too far from Ciampiano. This was a very reasonably priced hotel in a central location. It surpassed our expectations for the room rate. Very friendly staff, warm reception on arrival, good airconditioning, room typical size (i.e. verging on small but was adequate, bathroom was good) They took care of parking and delivered car to the front door in time for our departure which was very convenient considering parking in Frascati. Dining options within a short stroll and views over Rome from some of the street side restaurants. Breakfast in fresco lined (slightly naive style) room was ok, at this price it was actually better than we'd expected. I'd certainly revisit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple