“Pre-Conquest Moorish Luxury at a modern Andalusian pace”
Review of La Taberna de Boabdil - CLOSED

La Taberna de Boabdil
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Es Un Establecimiento,enclavado En Una Cueva Muy Antigua De Arcos De La Frontera (cadiz),considerado De Interes Turistico,ya K La Cueva Data De Antes De Jesucristo,que En El Siglo Vi,fue Una Sinagoga Judia,de Ellas Se Guardan Varias Reliquias,y Partes De Su Artesonado,deorijen Sefardita Y De La Espledorosa Epoca Nazary,en Lo K Fue Su Baño Arabe,(jaman),lo Emos Comvertido Ren Una Pequeña Y Acojedora Teteria,desde Donde Se Puede,observar Lindos Atardeceres,y Fantasticas Vistas ,al Valle Del Guadalete,leeenos De Verdes Narajos Y Doradas Naranjas,y En Primavera,se Puede Disfrutar,de Sus Maravillosos Campo De Guirasoles,quizas,para Compreder Este Lugar Necesitemos Prar A Lgunos Producto De Su Exquisita Cocina Andalusi,trasformado En Pequeños Bocados Que So Pecados De Dioses
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stopped here on the recommendation of our hotel, and we were NOT disappointed. This is not "Spanish" food, per se, but rather "Andaluz" cuisine; they only serve items that could've been made locally before 1492. Began with some sherry and mixed nuts/fruits in the dark and incensed smoking lounge. At our own pace, we asked to enter the main dining room, which is a brick-lined cavern cut into the side of the cliff-face. Fried cheeses with fig spread, sesame duck breast with honey and dates and pistachios...it was all sublime. The owners' kitten, Zoraya, spent most of the meal in my lap, alternately napping and trying to steal my duck. The house wine is a weak homemade blush...perfect for not overpowering the flavors of the food. Very fruity and juice-like.

7  Thank theuberdude

Reviewed October 12, 2011

This restaurant was featured in Lonely Planet so my friends and I decided to stop by while we were in the area.

Long story short, we found maggots in our appetizer and complained about it. The restaurant owner, Francisco, made up some bs excuse about how the warms are from the trees and guilt tripped us into feeling like we had overreacted. He continued to bring us more food and soon we found more maggots in other dishes and simply wanted to get out of there.

Even without the maggots, this was our worst meal during our 20-day European trip: everything was deep fried and tasteless, not to mention that they all came straight out of a frozen package.

After this experience we read about this restaurant on TripAdvisor and realized that other people had experienced the exact same thing as us. This restaurant is a total fraud, it's shocking that they are still allowed to operate under these conditions. A total health risk, don't eat there!

9  Thank eceprincess
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We were visiting Arcos de la Frontera and stubbled upon this wonderful little restaurant hidden down a little hill off the Paseo de boliches. The owner/chef greeted us and prepared the most wonderful meal for us. We took all his recommendations and each course was a delight. The garden atmosphere made us want to spend the afternoon reclining against the comfy pillows looking out over the valley. The owner told us the history of his family and took us inside the 7th century cave to see numerous artifacts. the food was a culinary treat with dishes from the tribes who have settled in this area. Great middle eastern flavors. If you are in the area go experience this wonderful little restaurant. It is worth the trip to Spain.

7  Thank helenbrum
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Having been to Italian villages whose winding streets lead to amazing views we had thought we might try this restaurant for equally stunning view and food. The owner was friendly and welcoming in aslightly cynical manner - he tutted when we wouldnt try a bottle of his family wine so my (Swedish) husband felt compelled to explain he was driving. This "bullying"manner set the tone for the meal to the point I begged my husband to hide the sickingly sweet tea and drink in the bushes as we half feared insulting him. Seeing the dirty cushions I also feared the qualty of the food but by and large I can say it was okayish..especially the cold tapas..the hot ones all being deep fried and quite odd in taste..I say this having lived across the Middle east with a passion for the food and flavors.
Overall it seems the star chef in this place was the brother who worked in renowned Ronda hotels..it seems one of the brothers is covering for the brother and clearly deep frying his absence. We enjoyed the view and the company of a lovely English couple so no regrets but no return either.

4  Thank BuenosAiresFifi
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Lonely Planet gave this place a thumbs up and mentioned the exotic interior should not be missed. The interior probably is worth a 2 minute look but leave it there. We visited this place on a saturday night and discovered it empty. The fact that every other eating establishment we had passed was busy should have spoken volumes but the book had guided us here and so we thought we should give it a try.

When the owner (I presume) appeared I asked whether he was serving food. He sat us down and said there was a fixed menu including wine for €15. I thought the price must be per person and enquired what food we would get. In a friendly manner he said it was 5 courses and we would enjoy it. In the spirit of adventure we agreed.

The 1st course was a salad which was actually quite good. Next came some little tasters which were ok. Then came a some wrapped pastries which were overly oily and too sweet. This was all being washed down by a cloudy pink chilled wine which was far too sweet and came out of a re-usable bottle. Half a glass was more than either of us could drink.

Next came our dessert which was just a slice of Vienetta. I dont come to a restaurant to eat ice cream I can buy in the supermarket for about a £1. Still, after the salad it was the best course we'd had!

Finally came some very sweet biscuits with overly sugared tea and some orange or apricot nectar which we didnt touch as we were by now simply ready to leave and put this place behind us.

I walked to the bar and asked him for the bill whereupon he wrote on a piece of paper €50.
I queried the price and he stated that "fifteen" was correct. Of course I agreed to 15 but he insisted his "bill" (at €50) was still correct. I then wrote down 15 x 2 = 30 to communicate to him is error. However he then pronounced 15 as "thirteen" and 50 as "fifteen".

My spanish is limited but each time I tried to communicate that he had told us the wrong price he just sulkily waved his arms and gradually got more aggressive and angry. Whether this was a genuine mistake I do not know (and I have my doubts) but to charge €50 for a salad and little else worth eating or drinking, after quoting a price of €30 was utterly incomprehensible. We had eaten far better meals in Arcos and in other towns which including wine generally came to less than €40. We offered to pay €35 which I felt was still far too much and received nothing must dismissive behaviour from an increasingly annoyed and grumpy owner who threatened to call the police. I actually would have been most happy to explain to the police what had happened! Eventually he snatched the money from my hands and we left his establishment.

How anyone can run a business on the basis of a verbal menu and price which he quotes incorrectly, serve home made or supermarket food which is for the most part not worth eating and then offer home made wine which i would challenge most people to attempt to drink and enjoy, is simply beyond me.

Our experience resonates with some of the other reviews here and its just a pity we had not read these reviews beforehand. If you enjoy poor quality food and wine at rip-off prices then I could not recommend this place more. Otherwise stay away!!!

15  Thank Ron101a