“Friendly reception - food suspect”
Review of La Taberna de Boabdil - CLOSED

La Taberna de Boabdil
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Es Un Establecimiento,enclavado En Una Cueva Muy Antigua De Arcos De La Frontera (cadiz),considerado De Interes Turistico,ya K La Cueva Data De Antes De Jesucristo,que En El Siglo Vi,fue Una Sinagoga Judia,de Ellas Se Guardan Varias Reliquias,y Partes De Su Artesonado,deorijen Sefardita Y De La Espledorosa Epoca Nazary,en Lo K Fue Su Baño Arabe,(jaman),lo Emos Comvertido Ren Una Pequeña Y Acojedora Teteria,desde Donde Se Puede,observar Lindos Atardeceres,y Fantasticas Vistas ,al Valle Del Guadalete,leeenos De Verdes Narajos Y Doradas Naranjas,y En Primavera,se Puede Disfrutar,de Sus Maravillosos Campo De Guirasoles,quizas,para Compreder Este Lugar Necesitemos Prar A Lgunos Producto De Su Exquisita Cocina Andalusi,trasformado En Pequeños Bocados Que So Pecados De Dioses
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Having been to Italian villages whose winding streets lead to amazing views we had thought we might try this restaurant for equally stunning view and food. The owner was friendly and welcoming in aslightly cynical manner - he tutted when we wouldnt try a bottle of his family wine so my (Swedish) husband felt compelled to explain he was driving. This "bullying"manner set the tone for the meal to the point I begged my husband to hide the sickingly sweet tea and drink in the bushes as we half feared insulting him. Seeing the dirty cushions I also feared the qualty of the food but by and large I can say it was okayish..especially the cold tapas..the hot ones all being deep fried and quite odd in taste..I say this having lived across the Middle east with a passion for the food and flavors.
Overall it seems the star chef in this place was the brother who worked in renowned Ronda hotels..it seems one of the brothers is covering for the brother and clearly deep frying his absence. We enjoyed the view and the company of a lovely English couple so no regrets but no return either.

4  Thank BuenosAiresFifi

Reviewed April 17, 2011

Lonely Planet gave this place a thumbs up and mentioned the exotic interior should not be missed. The interior probably is worth a 2 minute look but leave it there. We visited this place on a saturday night and discovered it empty. The fact that every other eating establishment we had passed was busy should have spoken volumes but the book had guided us here and so we thought we should give it a try.

When the owner (I presume) appeared I asked whether he was serving food. He sat us down and said there was a fixed menu including wine for €15. I thought the price must be per person and enquired what food we would get. In a friendly manner he said it was 5 courses and we would enjoy it. In the spirit of adventure we agreed.

The 1st course was a salad which was actually quite good. Next came some little tasters which were ok. Then came a some wrapped pastries which were overly oily and too sweet. This was all being washed down by a cloudy pink chilled wine which was far too sweet and came out of a re-usable bottle. Half a glass was more than either of us could drink.

Next came our dessert which was just a slice of Vienetta. I dont come to a restaurant to eat ice cream I can buy in the supermarket for about a £1. Still, after the salad it was the best course we'd had!

Finally came some very sweet biscuits with overly sugared tea and some orange or apricot nectar which we didnt touch as we were by now simply ready to leave and put this place behind us.

I walked to the bar and asked him for the bill whereupon he wrote on a piece of paper €50.
I queried the price and he stated that "fifteen" was correct. Of course I agreed to 15 but he insisted his "bill" (at €50) was still correct. I then wrote down 15 x 2 = 30 to communicate to him is error. However he then pronounced 15 as "thirteen" and 50 as "fifteen".

My spanish is limited but each time I tried to communicate that he had told us the wrong price he just sulkily waved his arms and gradually got more aggressive and angry. Whether this was a genuine mistake I do not know (and I have my doubts) but to charge €50 for a salad and little else worth eating or drinking, after quoting a price of €30 was utterly incomprehensible. We had eaten far better meals in Arcos and in other towns which including wine generally came to less than €40. We offered to pay €35 which I felt was still far too much and received nothing must dismissive behaviour from an increasingly annoyed and grumpy owner who threatened to call the police. I actually would have been most happy to explain to the police what had happened! Eventually he snatched the money from my hands and we left his establishment.

How anyone can run a business on the basis of a verbal menu and price which he quotes incorrectly, serve home made or supermarket food which is for the most part not worth eating and then offer home made wine which i would challenge most people to attempt to drink and enjoy, is simply beyond me.

Our experience resonates with some of the other reviews here and its just a pity we had not read these reviews beforehand. If you enjoy poor quality food and wine at rip-off prices then I could not recommend this place more. Otherwise stay away!!!

15  Thank Ron101a
Reviewed November 20, 2010

We had the 26Euro per person tourist dinner. We saw another tourist couple eating the identical dinner. The locals that were there ate different food and wine that was corked and labeled. The tomato/onion/eggplant (I think) salad was excellent! The fresh fruit was ripe and good. The fried foods from different areas of the Andalusia all tasted the same. The final tea and apricot nectar (I think) were fine. The experience is more interesting than the food. Remember, get the corked and labeled wine. His grandmother must not have a good wine recipe. Probably be best to eat in the daylight based on other reviews, plus you can see the view.

4  Thank JodyZ5
Reviewed November 5, 2010

Where do I start?!
I have certainly had my share of dodgy food and service in my lifetime but this experience is up there with the best (or worst!) of them!

We stayed in Arcos de la Frontera for 2 nights and loved it, so this restaurant is not a reflection of all of the food or the place itself at all.

We’d read a few reviews on trip advisor of this place and the name had stuck in my mind. Most of the reviews were positive, however there were one or two comments that stuck in my mind. None the less, we were looking for something different and the owner of our bnb mentioned it. She hadn’t been in a year or so and said that the owner was a ‘character’ who ‘did things his way’. We are all up for eccentricity so we decided to go there for lunch.

We walked for a bit to get there, it’s not in the centre of town but there are sign posts to show you the way. The restaurant is on the side of a cliff type thing with a small outside area. There was one family eating outside and that was it (on a weekend). There was nobody to be seen so we called around inside the cave (it’s dark and I think there’s extra seating in there as well).
The owner eventually came out and looked at us – we said could we eat something –lunch- and he gave us a table outside, shook the paper table cloth (as there are trees above) and we sat down. All was very promising at this stage and we were looking forward to lunch!

He came over and said ‘today we have the tapas of the day’ – there was no menu. I asked what the other family was having, he said ‘the same’. So, we nodded and thought, well, if that’s it then ok! ‘And I recommend my grandmothers’ special home made wine’ – I recalled hearing about this on trip advisor but he didn’t really give us a choice and we felt it almost impolite to refuse! Nodding again, I asked him how much this was going to cost as there was no sign and no menu. He looked at us and said ‘ depends how much you eat!’ and with that scurried back into the cave.

We were served a lovely tomato salad and a plate of small tastes- they were actually pretty good, so we relaxed into it and thought, ok, cool! The wine on the other hand was hideous – he brought over a cloudy, unlabeled bottle – the red wine was pink and fizzy as though it had fermented but not ready…it didn’t taste like red wine at all, so after drinking it, we asked if for our second glass we could have some white wine…we did not want to offend so we said ‘something dryer please?’ He definitely took it personally and whisked the glasses and wine away with a grumble and then produced another cloudy, home made white wine which tasted like vinegar, but we thought, ok just leave it and had a laugh.

Our next tray of tapas looked and smelled delicious, they were pastry things and each had a taste of a different city from the area.

HOWEVER, as I was about to take a bite, I saw something move in the corner of my eye. I looked more closely at my piece of pastry and it was CRAWLING with worms. Small, white worms – almost like moth larvae, smaller than maggots and I had to actually look to see them. My horrified look made my husband not take a bite out of his and we looked at the rest of the plate – all of them were crawling with tiny worms. They seemed to have been in the different jams that were on top of each.
So let’s just say I lost my appetite immediately. My husband called the owner (and chef) over and told him, showed him and the man’s response was to look up into the trees and say that they fell down while we were sitting there. DEFINITELY not the case.
He took the plates away and my husband went after him to get the bill. Instead, the owner showed my husband around his kitchen saying ‘look, it’s clean!’. On reflection my husband said that the general surfaces were ‘cleanish’ but that you could hardly see and it was dark and damp and that the owner showed him in the freezer – there were all the frozen tapas we’d just been served – so not fresh lovely tapas.

My husband asked if he could please settle the bill and the owner said ‘nothing!’ – so we didn’t have to pay – thank goodness as from reading the reviews I think it would have been Euro25 pp and that is exorbitant in the area and definitely not worth it.

In the meantime, the family sitting near us asked me what was wrong, I told them and they had said they had eaten a totally different meal (yet we’d been told otherwise).

Overall I would never ever go back, nor recommend it to anyone – I think that the owner needs to seriously look at his hygiene levels and I hope his pride doesn’t get in the way of throwing out that jam and getting new stock. It was lacking in general hygiene and being dishonest and trying to trick people into a ‘special’ menu without telling them the price. Watch out for the jam and be careful what you eat there or you may leave with something more than you bargained for, having shelled out a lot for nothing.

11  Thank Stellarjules
Reviewed September 20, 2010

very nice atmosphere, a mix of local people and tourists, friendly staff and very good food!

4  Thank alice19