“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Schladming
Topsham, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed at the Falkensteiner for a week of skiing with friends.
The friends have a good knowledge of Austrian Hotels so we always expect to find a good experience. This was definitely true of the Falkensteiner in that every aspect of our stay was excellent.
Of note was the welcome and helpfulness of the staff, the hotel decor and particularly the design of the rooms themselves, which provided a wealth of storage in a modern yet rustic style. The spa was exceptional with indoor and outdoor sections for the pool, ideal for relaxing after a days skiing. The bar area and its staff were excellent for après ski with views of the floodlit world cup ski slope. The five course dinners were varied and perfectly presented and cooked. We did have vegetarians in the group and there was not a vegetarian alternative for all courses and although the waiting staff were excellent they changed each night so there was little continuity or communication creating some confusion but these are minor niggles which can easily be addressed and should not detract from the overall high standard that was apparent throughout.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ed T
Marlies H, Leiter Front Office at Falkensteiner Hotel Schladming, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Ed T,

thank you so much for your review on TripAdvisor. We radiate and we are very happy that you have enjoyed a great stay in our Falkensteiner Hotel Schladming. Thank you also for your positive feedback regarding our staff, our dinner and the design of our hotel.

Hopefully see you soon!

Marlies Hödl | Reservation and Front Office Manager | 01.04.2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Europe
Reviewed February 23, 2014

The hotel is beautiful. It is tastefully done, with wood and stones, not too jodel. I had a superior room and it could not be faulted. Spacious, I could heat it up as much as I wanted, wonderful bathroom. Also, the sauna area is just amazing. A job really well done.
And than it stops. I guess I'm just too used to US level of service and to be honest, I did not expect it in the middle of the Alps, but well, service and food really could and should be much better (for 224 EUR per night).
The only possibility when booking was a half-board package and that's what I got. Dinner was 5 courses, nothing special (I had dinner there 4 evenings). Food rather bland and boring, but well, when I'm in Austria I don't expect much: if it's not too salty, I'm happy already. So I can live with bland food, but it was service that really bothered me. Sometimes the 5 courses meal took 2 hours, sometimes 1 hour. I always specifically told the servers I would like to have the next course right-away and they kept asking me, if I wanted a time-out? A time-out? A single person? Are you kidding me?! Do you actually expect me to stare into empty space for half an hour?
Also, breakfast food should have more variety. After 4 mornings, I had enough of it and I adore continental breakfasts. The only yogurt that they serve, for example, is full-fat. Seriously? I had no idea anybody even ate those anymore.
And another suggestion: I could not help but to notice that some guests walked into the breakfast/dinner area in their flip-flops (slippers-like) in the middle of the winter. Maybe it would be a good idea to state that people should wear shoes in dinning area.
Their slogan is Welcome Home. I did not feel either welcome or home.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank TamiTravel
Marlies H, Leiter Front Office at Falkensteiner Hotel Schladming, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear TamiTravel,

thank you that you have taken the time to give us a feedback on TripAdvisor.

Thanks a lot for your positive review regarding our rooms and our furnishing.
I am so sorry for all the troubles you had during your stay with us. I apologize for our service as well as for the bland and boring food in our restaurant. That really must not happen! I promise to you, that we will take care about all the feedback you have written to us and we will try everything to improve.

I would be very happy to welcome you again, I assure you that we will convince you then. Hopefully see you soon!

Marlies Hödl | Reservation and Front Office Manager | 25.02.2014
Istria, Croatia
Reviewed February 19, 2014

From 7 days skiing holiday this is my 4th day in the hotel and even after all day skiing and feeling more tired each day i feel that this hotel takes all pain away.It has very warm atmosphere, beautiful design and such a helpful and pleasant staff anywhere you go-restaurant,bar,reception.....i work in tourist business long time, naturally always looking for things which needs improvements-but I couldn't find it here!
I definitely recommend this hotel to couples or families or singles-everybody will feel good and welcome!

• Stayed February 2014
Marlies H, Leiter Front Office at Falkensteiner Hotel Schladming, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Barnica,

thank you very much for your excellent Feedback on TripAdvisor. We are so happy! Thank you for this positive review.

Marlies Hödl | Reservation and Front Office Manager | 23.02.2014
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Our group of lads and dads from the UK travel industry know a few thing or two about hospitality, and this venue for a weekend away was faultless in every respect. Upon arrival, we were welcomed by Julia von Dienes, the GM (always a good sign), and her and Constantin's professional management skills can be seen throughout the entire hotel. Fantastic service, great spa facilities, very helpful staff, and superb rooms. The breakfast buffet was more than any skier could every ask for - fresh squeezed juices, various yogurts, cereals, pastries, home-baked breads, meats and cheeses plus an omelette station. Dinner menu never failed to suprise. We only wished we could have stayed longer, and will definitely return.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but for a really special power-nap, head for the spa and 10 minutes on a wa...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Marlies H, Leiter Front Office at Falkensteiner Hotel Schladming, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear PaulCtr01,

thank you so much that you have taken the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We radiate and are sooo happy! Thank you for this positive Feedback!

If you feel the Need for a break in the mountains - you are always most welcome to join us! We are looking Forward to seeing you again... :-)

Kosice, Slovakia
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We loved the hotel in overal, decor, architecture, ambience, proffesional staff, spa area, rooms, nice smell of a wood everywhere etc.
However, we were quite disappointed with our half board; you should definitely find a different cook. It's a shame that the hotel with your quality is offering to guests this kind of tasteless food for a dinner. And it was not only ours plate returning almost untouched back to the kitchen. We were expecting culinary experience and everything we had during our 5-day stay was just average or even worse. Fortunately there was a buffet with salads and great baguettes, so we didn't leave hungry.
The other problem was your spa treatments; we try variety of your massages and facial treatment. However, for the price it costs you get only massage from young ladies without enough experiences, so we couldn't feel any difference before and after. Except one massage which did older lady with short hair cut, this one was great!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Michaela2888,

thank you very much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We are very happy that you have spent your holidays with us and we appreciate your recommendations very much.

Ooooh no, I am very sorry for the inconveniences you had during your stay. I will talk to our Chef as well as to our Spa Manager - I promise to you that we find a solution for a better service in the future!

I would be very happy to welcome you once again, I assure you that we will convince you then. Hopefully see you soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

Modern yet warm decor, with surprises in great music (sort of Austrian bluegrass) on first night, intriguing menu descriptions which didn't do justice to exceptional food, attention to detail from a whole honey comb at breakfast, sneaky peek showers and superb home baked breads. Friendly attentive staff helped reinforce the chilled out feeling from wandering through the lovely spa facilities, the opportunity to roll in the snow post sauna and doze on the water beds.

Does this seem slightly scrambled ( like the freshly prepared eggs in the morning). It's just the impact of this delightful, slightly quirky, beautifully designed hotel. Managers Julia and Constantine are destined to be stars of the hotel world.

This was my first experience of this group but I will definitely be back.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Ihi2i,

thank you so much for your Feedback on Tripadvisor and for being with us. Thank you also for your positive Review regarding our staff.

If you feel the need for a unique holiday again, you are most welcome to join us! We very much look forward to welcoming you again See you soon!

Kranj
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Went there in the beginning of 12-2013.It is one of the best Falkensteiner hotels-beside Iadera 'n' Velden.
Mixture of modern and alp style.Dinners are as good as in Iadera.Perhaps some more variety of breakfast food is desired.
Very polite and proffi staff.Lobby bar is as stylish as hootel is.Rooms also.

Room Tip: double superior plus
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Julia v, Manager at Falkensteiner Hotel Schladming, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Ales A,

thank you so much for your assessment on Tripadvisor. We radiate and are sooo happy. Thank you for this positive review. If you feel the need for a timeout in the mountains again, you are most welcome. We look forward to our reunion. See you soon...hopefully!

Julia v. Deines | Manager | January 13th 2014