The Crown Country Inn
Grange Hotel(Grange-over-Sands)
$149
Netherwood(Grange-over-Sands)
$105
Newby Bridge Hotel(Newby Bridge)(Great Value!)
$104
  • Breakfast included
Swan Hotel & Spa(Newby Bridge)
$154
$162
$129
$107
All reviewsthe publake districtquiet locationwarm welcomelocal beerwell worth a visitboth nightsdog friendly pubweekend breaknight staythoroughly enjoyed our staymain coursetop marksfull englishshort drivebooked a tableboth mornings
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Recently stayed at The Crown having seen the Groupon Deal for the two night stay. Good location just a short drive from all the hustle of Windermere, lovely comfy rooms with the best bed (we could have slept for hours) and really nice, hearty food... Crawford couldn't have been more helpful and it's a shame that when we were sat down to breakfast one morning, a couple on another table could be heard saying to him because of this mistake we might put it on tripadvisor... it's almost now used as a threat to businesses! Would happily come back next time in the Lake District

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Rooo4
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just returned from a short break at "The Crown at High Newton" We would thoroughly recommend this comfortable,friendly hotel. Crawford and his team make everyone feel very welcome, the rooms are perfect and the food is to die for!! Will be visiting again very soon - this is the ideal location for touring around the south Lakes area.

Room Tip: All rooms are similar, very quiet and comfortable
2  Thank ChrisnGraham
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I booked this through the Inn direct and had the advantage of talking through the group on deal. It was explained clearly by Lesley check in time, what was incl in the deal, the supplement for weekend stay and the option of upgrading the breakfast for £5 each. We stayed in room 6 which was lovely, clean and modern. As the window faces down to the village it would perhaps benefit from the privacy of voile. Although above the bar, from which noise could be heard in our room, it stopped shortly after midnight and it wasn't intrusive. The inn is lovely, the staff very helpful warm and friendly and we felt like a local. The food was hot, tasty and plentiful. There was a varied menu and I cannot understand the previous comments. I drink tea a lot and found no issue here. We shall def be back.

Room Tip: Room 6 very small with nowhere to hang clothes but its very clean, very comfy and has fab en suite
2  Thank ZedhedzZ
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I Have never made a comment on Tripadvisor before but after being at the Crown Inn and watching the going's on I feel compelled to do so. My wife and I were sitting having a meal on Friday night at the crown. We go there every few weeks and it has became our favourite in the south lakes. There were a group of women dining at the top of the restaurant and it was like watching a scene from MacBeth unfold in front of you.
Firstly the young waitress serving you was nearly in tears and your behavoir was making it an unpleasant experience for all.
At no point did we see anyone be rude to you, my wife and I sighed relief on your departure.
I have noticed reading through recent reviews of the Crown that at least four of you have written terrible and threatening reviews, this in my opinion is tantamount to cyber bullying, although it does show regular users of this site the character of the reviewer, and when reading your reviews you can see they are spiteful and designed to do damage rather than be helpful.
My meal that evening was very good as always and I will return to the Crown in the next few weeks.

12  Thank JpParker
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I was in the same party as JaneCumbria visting this pub. We are a group of friends who used to work together, and have regularly met up over the last 19 years or so for meals out. We try to go to different places each time.

Our table booking was for 7 pm as we were told we could not have a table for 7.30 pm. It was around 7.30 pm or just after when we were seated, having been told by one of the staff this was because we were late in arriving. This was due to a traffic incident on the way of an overturned lorry at Ulverston roundabout. We felt we were not so late that this should have caused a problem. When we were finally seated, we walked past some empty tables, There was a problem with the electricity during the evening and the original table we had was in the dark so we were moved to the Al a Carte area. The table was set for 7 people and we moved cutlery, seating etc to turn it into an 8 place setting.

There was very limited choice on the whole menu, and there was only one vegetarian starter and main course each. As we were seated in the al a carte area not by choice, we asked if we could see this menu but was told it was prebooking only. It was only later we found out we could have ordered from this or had meals altered.

The wait between placing our orders and being served was rather long. The food was not piping hot and admittedly we should have mentioned this at the time. My friends leek and potato soup was cold and tasteless. Three people are vegetarians and the only choice on the main menu was a nut roast (what if someone has a nut allergy?!). Instead my friends chose the starter vegetarian option and ordered extra sides of chips and onion rings to make them main meals. The young waitress who took our orders did not not have a problem with this. Four of us had fish and chips - the fish was hot and the chips, peas and plates were only just warm. Only one of our party was fully happy with her meal of fishcake with poached egg. The menu choice is very limited.

The wait between finishing our main courses and receiving desserts was also too long, We had to fetch dessert menus ourselves. We had different menus - some items were different, prices for the same items on both menus were different, and one of the menus did not have a desserts page.

During the point where the order for tea was received, some of us were still eating our desserts. My friend asked for the tea to be changed as it tasted terrible. Most of us smelt the teapot and it was musty. A different waitress had served the desserts and teas. We asked for the tea to be changed but this was refused and the reply was its tetley teabags which you can't go wrong with. Our suggestions of tasting the tea, and smelling the tea were refused. We were accused of being complainers on the take for a free meal. At no point did any of us suggest that we would not pay our bill, but we did state we would not pay for the soup and the tea.

The waitress did not keep her voice down at all and unconcerned in resolving the issues we had. She was very sharp and rude and said we had complained all night which was not the case. She then crossly said that she would fetch the chef. A man who was dressed like a chef came to see us, and said he wasn't the chef this evening. He was the proprietor. He was also extremely rude and suggested we had tried to eat on the cheap in a more expensive area so we had to explain why we were there. An unpleasant exchange occurred between my friend and the proprietor. At one point when the waitress came back, we were called liars and she pointed her finger a number of times at my friend who asked for the tea to be changed. The proprietor offered us 50 per cent off the Al a Carte menu if we could come back in a few weeks time but we politely declined.

The electricity problems were used as the explanation for the length of time we had waited to be seated and served both our mains and desserts. I had been eating a dessert but the humiliation we were subjected to put me off and I suddenly did not want to be there.

After the proprietor and waitress left we all felt we should just pay the bill and just leave. We asked the young waitress to come over to collect our payment. When we left it was embarrassing and shameful, as we felt everyone was looking at us.

In all our years of meeting up for meals out, we have never been subjected to such an appalling and humiliating experience. We are likely to inform the local press as a recent excellent review had prompted our visit. We won't be returning and would not recommend this pub.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends